Rant

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rant

So I haven't played Civ5 for a few months. I was unimpressed w/the game, and plus my sound had mysteriously died (sound works for every other game, but Civ5 just went silent on me, and this was before the first patch, IIRC). So I put it aside.

Today I figured I'd fire it up and let it update.

It won't even launch. Steam brings up my account fine. Then it asks me which version of Civ I'd like to lauch (dx9 or 10/11). It doesn't matter which one I pick. Nothing happens (though, amusingly enough, my Steam account informs me that I've played Civ today).

So yeah, that's my Civ5 experience. Worthless.

That is all.

-Arrian
    grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Hmmm, more and more reports of this on poly lately. The game launches fine for me, I'm at loss what is the problem here.
    Do not fear, for I am with you; Do not anxiously look about you, for I am your God.-Isaiah 41:10
    I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made - Psalms 139.14a
    Also active on WePlayCiv.

Comment

My game computer died last week because of the summer heat, so I can't check.

Comment

Check out the steps I proposed in this thread: http://apolyton.net/showthread.php/1...-been-released

It didn't help him before a complete reinstall, unfortunately, but the steps I propose did help me when I had a similar problem a year or so back. In addition to the steps I propose, you can try tried deleting your game cache and database directories, before you try a complete reinstall.
        Do not fear, for I am with you; Do not anxiously look about you, for I am your God.-Isaiah 41:10

Comment

Well I'll be damned. Having it check the local files worked - Civ now launches. I still don't have any sound (sigh).

Thanks, Nikolai.

-Arrian
          Last edited by Arrian; July 27, 2011, 19:08.

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

Sounds like the recent patch corrupts the install for some people. Check for local files does a file-by-file sanity check and restores corrupt files...
            "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
            Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Originally posted by Arrian View Post
              Well I'll be damned. Having it check the local files worked - Civ now launches. I still don't have any sound (sigh).

Thanks, Nikolai.

-Arrian
              Glad to help, too bad not all details was fixed though.

Comment

Diplomacy is still wierd.

I got a declaration of war from a civ that was: a) far from me, with other civs between; and b) friendly with me from the moment I met them. During the war, they would call me up and make utterly ridiculous peace demands (give me all your gold, resources, and half your cities for peace!). I managed to kill some of their units in no-man's land and they eventually settled for a plain peace for peace deal. Upon peace, they were immediately friendly again, and remained that way. The issue I had with the DoW was that they had nothing to gain from it. They did not DoW with units near me - I had to seek them out 10+ tiles away from my borders. They were already fighting another civ, such that they had just increased their troubles (I was able to attack and destroy several Samurai who were damaged from combat/bombardment with the other combatant). Even if they HAD taken a city from me, man it would've been far away from them and bordered by two enemies (me and the other civ they were fighting). It made no sense whatsoever.

I also got a denunciation that didn't make much sense. The only thing I'd ever done to that civ was settle a city close to them. They objected and I promised not to do it again. Much later in the game, they denounced. Why? So I said screw 'em and settled another city close to them.

The other declaration of war I got in the game made perfect sense. Yeah, they were friendly with me but so what. I had settled a city on their continent. It was far from their borders (such that they did not complain when I settled it), but it was a lone outpost, lightly defended. They were the most powerful civ in the game, had a slight tech edge on me (I'm rusty, or I just suck at Civ5), and could easily take the city away. And they did. Bravo for that.

-Arrian

Comment

I'm trying to think of a reason to play Civ 5. I see it staring me in the face in my "Library". No. Sorry. You suck. Not gonna do it.
                  To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Diplomacy is definitely wierd, but consistent in its own little AI-logic way...
                    I've had several games in which the AI will declare war from far away, do absolutely nothing about it, and then 'demand' a peace with major concessions in luxury goods, money, etc from me. After getting whopped, they make a status quo peace, and then immediately become friendly. The reverse is also true: I have a near-neighbor who is Guarded or Hostile, declare war on them, grab a couple of workers and harass them a bit, make a status quo peace - and they become Friendly!
                    Apparently, to the AI, 'Diplomacy' means either bribe me to go away or you didn't kill me, so you must be a Good Guy. Intriguing - and maybe not too far off the mark of real world diplomacy...

Comment

judging by what i've read, that sounds like some awfully wishful thinking.
                      I wasn't born with enough middle fingers.
                      [Brandon Roderick? You mean Brock's Toadie?][Hanged from Yggdrasil]

Comment

I can always hope, even if modern politics and diplomacy is more II (Insufficient Intelligence) than AI...

Comment

I'm still liking Civ 5. Started a new game today. When I met Elizabeth about thrity turns into it, she liked me, as did the Iroquois when they met me. Elizabeth contacted me a couple of turns later, and began taunting me.

She remained hostile and obstinant even as she began a war on the Iroquois which turned out to be long and bloody. She became so obnoxious that as soon as I had a sizable source of Minutemen, I began a war of annihilation.

The Iroquois took a while, but they became guarded before I started my war, and that hasn't changed since I'm helping them survive.
                          I don't know what I've been told!
                          Deirdre's got a Network Node!
                          Love to press the Buster Switch!
                          Gonna nuke that crazy witch!

Comment

I have found the following to pretty regularly true in all games:
                            1. If you expand early and rapidly, you attract Guarded or Hostile relations
                            2. Not always, but frequently one of your early contacts will, for no reason or action on your part, turn Hostile on you
                            3. That going to war with that AI and then making peace, even if you never actually fight, will turn them into Friends.
                            4. If you declare war more than twice in the first 100 turns, EVERYBODY around you will become Guarded.
                            5. That AI's will Denounce you even when that kind of unfriendly act could be considered Suicidal. Like, they have one city and border on your 8-city empire with your army on their doorstep.
                            6. That the AI is perfectly capable of suckering you into a war in which you do all the fighting and they sit it out; as in when the opponent is right between you, sends all of his forces against you, and the AI which asked you to join them in a Declaration of War does nothing and watches while you fight for your life.
                            7. Trading favorably with them makes them like you. This sounds obvious, but it wasn't true before the last patch. Now, when they say my proposed trade is 'not possible' and I give them something for less gold than it would normally cost (because I've got extra of some Luxury/Strategic good and want to turn some kind of profit on it) that also translates into better relations.

I'm still learning about the AI's version of diplomacy, but at least most of what the AI does makes some sense - not all, which makes them almost as unpredictable as human opponents...

"This animal is very vicious - when attacked, it defends itself"
                            - sign in a European zoo.

Comment

Working...
                            X