Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tile improvement maintenance!? Since when?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tile improvement maintenance!? Since when?

I just started a new game today when I noticed something really strange: apparently, I am now paying maintenance for tile improvements:

Click image for larger version

Name:	what.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	33.1 KB
ID:	9135295

This is the first time I noticed this. Is this part of the standard game?

I already looked and I don't have any mod active, only these DLCs: Spain and Inca, Denmark, Polynesia, Babylon, Mongolia and something called Upgrade 1. I have no idea what the latter is.

I am attaching a save game, in case anyone cares to take a look.

Alexander_0093 BC-0550.Civ5Save
    The monkeys are listening.

Roads and rails.
    John Brown did nothing wrong.

Comment

Yes, you're right. I did more testing with the game I posted and that was the case.
      This brings me to my next question: is road maintenance paid for all the roads that I build, or just those that are in my territory?
      In the game above, the latter seems to be the case: I pay 2 gold maintenance, for a road that spans 6 or 7 tiles, with only 2 tiles in my territory.
      I started another game where I found out that I was paying 2 gold maintenance for a 2 tile road, of which only one was in my territory.
      The monkeys are listening.

Comment

I haven't TESTED it with the last couple of patches, but historically you pay for each road you build outside of another's borders. ANY roads, regardless of builder, within your borders, you pay for. If you go on a conquering spree, you may want to allocate some workers to specific road removal.

Railroads built in the same hex as a road replace the road, so you only pay 2 (not 3) maintenance for the hex.

If you didn't have to pay for roads/rails, you'd have road spam just like in civ4, and you really WOULDN'T want that, now would you?

Comment

You know, i really liked roads in civ iv...i built them everywhere...you could always tell if you saw my civ...there was a road in each tile.

to be honest, i rather like the system of paying for road maintenance...it is a cost in real life, so you might as well have it in civ v In my first game of civ v i road spammed...and well, it was killing my financially. Game 2 i built less roads, but still too many. this game, I am finally building the right amount of roads....lot's of roads where i have to move troops round, like borders, but just single connections everywhere else.

Comment

Originally posted by Jaybe View Post
            If you didn't have to pay for roads/rails, you'd have road spam just like in civ4, and you really WOULDN'T want that, now would you?
            I would. Unit movement is a pain when there's limited road/rail tiles and only 1 unit per tile. Unlimited units per tile with rail maintenance would work well though.

Comment

the entire point was to stop road spamming. it seems the system that counts who pays maintenance has a few leaks though.

Comment

I think it was stupid to add road maintenance just to avoid the "BAD LOOKING" road spam at the same time introducing 1UPT.
                Not everyone thought road spam looked bad and road spam would eliminate some of the issues caused by 1UPT.
                Just stupid.

And realistically road spam exists. If you look at the US in terms of just the interstates, it appears like road spam.
                It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
                RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Yes... the combination of 1UPT and nuking roads... just plain stupid. What were they thinking??????????????????????
                  Keep on Civin'
                  RIP rah, Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Well, 1UPT wouldn't be bad, if the units were sensible. But archers that can shoot hundreds of miles away? And hit their targets?
                    Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

Consider it as a zoom
                      "Ceterum censeo Ben esse expellendum."

Comment

they were not thinking
                        Socrates: "Good is That at which all things aim, If one knows what the good is, one will always do what is good." Brian: "Romanes eunt domus"
                        GW 2013: "and juistin bieber is gay with me and we have 10 kids we live in u.s.a in the white house with obama"

Comment

Originally posted by chequita guevara View Post
                          Well, 1UPT wouldn't be bad, if the units were sensible. But archers that can shoot hundreds of miles away? And hit their targets?
                          Remember back in II where you could have a swarm of engineers build the instant railroad and artillery could move across the county in one turn and still attack.
                          It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
                          RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

I don't mind One unit per hex, and I don't really mind paying for roads all that much, but I don't understand what the designers' problem was with road spam or ICS.
                            I don't know what I've been told!
                            Deirdre's got a Network Node!
                            Love to press the Buster Switch!
                            Gonna nuke that crazy witch!

Comment

That's what happens when you pander to the purists.
                              RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Working...
                              X