Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who is playing Civ 5 on a laptop? And exactly what kind of quantum supercomputer laptop is it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who is playing Civ 5 on a laptop? And exactly what kind of quantum supercomputer laptop is it?

OK just for grins...

I have a family trip coming up and need something time consuming to occupy my time other than hyperactive 4 year olds. And alcohol is frowned upon..

I installed Civ 5 on my laptop, thinking that even if it's older maybe it is still playable on dx9 with low, low settings.

Athlon 64 X2 dual core 2ghz, 2ghz ram, Win 7, suck ass integtated ati graphics. But it plays civ 4 just fine, thank you, albeit on lower settings, but still playable.

Wrong. Civ 5 will not even LAUNCH, even in DX9 mode. It goes to blackscreen and never, ever comes out. I googled around and tried some config files changes but nah. And I see people with modern laptops, with decent discreet graphics even, that can't get it to work either.

So who is playing on a PC laptop, and what is it, what kind of experience is it?

At this point I'm probably loading Civ 4 on it and maybe Portal 2 to hold me over.

Oh and why bother with Civ 5? I am trying not to go back to Civ 4 because I don't want to unlearn the Civ 5 tactics. Yes, it's a broken mess. But I would like to build my experience on every game, not run back to mama and play Civ 4.
    Last edited by Burticus; June 27, 2011, 17:59.

I'm playing it on my MacBook Pro and my HP EliteBook 8540w. Plays fine on both with medium settings for graphics. It sounds like your basic stats are OK, my bet is the problem is your ATI graphics.

Mike

Comment

I play on an Asus G73; graphics maxed no problem.

Comment

I play on an acer aspire 5741G
        Core i3 M330 2Ghz
        4 GB Ram
        64-bit
        ATI HD5470 512 MB DDR3

I play the game without problems. But I only play it in strategic view as it gives a bigger picture of what is going on. I miss out on the air-air action though.
        Fool me once, shame on you.
        Fool me twice, shame on me

Comment

My laptop has the power but not the graphics so I'm SOL.
          It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
          RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Everyone playing in DX9?

Comment

DX11 for me
              Fool me once, shame on you.
              Fool me twice, shame on me

Comment

I'm surprised any laptop plays Civ5.
                Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

I play on a MacBook Pro, with the graphics all the way up. 8 gig ram for teh w00+!
                  Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

My Asus was bought last year... and I feel dirty that I don't remember the specs, but it runs Civ5 just fine. There's an odd hang at the intro movie each time, but then I'm up and running. Medium settings if I remember correctly too.
                    I'm not conceited, conceit is a fault and I have no faults...

Civ and WoW are my crack... just one... more... turn...

Comment

Civ V on an Asus G73JW here. It runs smoothly with high fps even with everything maxed out. Hope that helps.
                      Coling since 1994... :)

Comment

No heat problems?
                        Improving and dying each day

Comment

Originally posted by Snatcher View Post
                          No heat problems?
                          None for me, but I do use a USB laptop pad/fan when it's at my desk and I game. Better to play it safe.
                          I'm not conceited, conceit is a fault and I have no faults...

Civ and WoW are my crack... just one... more... turn...

Comment

Working...
                          X