Question before I buy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question before I buy

I have been toying with the idea of buying Civ5 recently as I understand it has been patched to the point of being stable. There is still one thing I cannot wrap my head around, and may be a deal breaker as far as me putting down my $50 USD.

One unit per tile.

Does this play out in the game as STUPID as I imagine??? Beyond the "reality" factor... does this mechanic actually cause instances in which a city with water on both sides (one tile access) can only be attacked by one unit a turn???

Don't even get get me started on the fact that from watching the video it looks as if the game allows archers to shoot arrows what would effectively be hundreds of miles.

Personally I regret buying Civ 5. On large or huge maps it develops crashes in the later stages of the game. I've only been able to finish one game since I bought this thing shortly after it came out. Save your money.
    "I say shoot'em all and let God sort it out in the end!

Comment

The main problem is not really the 1UPT (besides the fact that the AI has difficulties in handling it.

The problem is that you don't really have choises to make. It feels to me more is always better...
      "Ceterum censeo Ben esse expellendum."

Comment

Originally posted by Pinchak View Post
        Does this play out in the game as STUPID as I imagine??? Beyond the "reality" factor... does this mechanic actually cause instances in which a city with water on both sides (one tile access) can only be attacked by one unit a turn???
        There is the occasional city in that situation but with ranged units (land and sea, if possible) and a good attack plan, often the one unit is all you need. And some mounted units can attack and then move, getting out of the way for a second unit to come in.

Like any system, it has its quirks. But a little planning and its not a big deal.
        Rule 37: "There is no 'overkill'. There is only 'open fire' and 'I need to reload'."
        http://www.schlockmercenary.com/ 23 Feb 2004

Comment

Originally posted by Pinchak View Post
          I have been toying with the idea of buying Civ5 recently as I understand it has been patched to the point of being stable. There is still one thing I cannot wrap my head around, and may be a deal breaker as far as me putting down my $50 USD.

One unit per tile.

Don't even get get me started on the fact that from watching the video it looks as if the game allows archers to shoot arrows what would effectively be hundreds of miles.

It's very rare but sometimes there are geographic bottle necks and, personally, I like them since cities like Constantinople were deliberately placed on such a bottle neck. That said there are ways to attack even bottle neck towns since there are ranged attacks and even land units can make multiple moves per turn not to mention ships & airplanes can also do ranged attacks.
          Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

I am not a fan of the 1UPT, but I also wasn't thrilled with the ridiculous SODs (Stack of Doom) that existing in Civ3. I thought the artillery dynamics of Civ4 limited the value of massive SODs and that was good enough. The ranged attack in Civ5 is a bit silly for me also - I know those English Longbowman can shoot an arrow pretty far, but that's ridiculous. On a recent Earth map, I think my archers were shooting the distance of New York to Boston. Rocket propelled arrows apparently.

I'm not sure if I should return to Civ4 or just do other stuff until Civ6 comes out, then wait the 1-2 years after release for the repairs of Civ 6 to take place. I might be playing Civ 4 until 2015.
            Haven't been here for ages....

Comment

Originally posted by Shogun Gunner View Post
              I thought the artillery dynamics of Civ4 limited the value of massive SODs and that was good enough. The ranged attack in Civ5 is a bit silly for me also - I know those English Longbowman can shoot an arrow pretty far, but that's ridiculous. On a recent Earth map, I think my archers were shooting the distance of New York to Boston. Rocket propelled arrows apparently.
              Actually, that's the average case, if we measure from center-of-tile to center-of-tile. It could be much worse than that if the two units in question are each on the "far" side of their tiles. It would be like shooting from Baltimore to Manchester.

But this whole issue doesn't bother me so much because the flip side is true also. If both units are on the near side of their tiles (as will happen when they are about to enter combat with one another), then the distance could be quite close.

So I imagine that the ranged attacks are simply getting a first shot in, before the units close to battle.

Comment

Working...
              X