Civ5: Combat improvements

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Civ5: Combat improvements

I was thinking of how to improve fighting in Civ5 and I have come up with several changes that I think would create interesting situations, but obviously would alter the game to a large degree.

The first thing I would recommend is to remove 1upt and then to make attacking a stack more powerful the larger the stack is. Similar to a collateral attack in Civ4, but for every unit and not just siege units. That way you either get very small stacks or no stacks at all, but you don't have the trouble of trying to sort out how to move the second line in order to get the units you want to where you want them. A fast unit that's coming in late is thus quicker to get to the front (well quicker of course, because in Civ 5 it's actually next to impossible).

Then remove the ability for units to stay in a city and spawn all units outside. Allow all military buildings (barracks, armories, walls, etc.) to add to the defense of the city. Disallow the city to attack and increase its defense to a big degree.

Add the ability to besiege a city when 3 hexes next to it are occupied which means that no citizen can work outside. Reduce the city defense for each turn it is besieged until it's 0 in which case the city is taken (use a quadratic or exponential decay model such that decay is slow in the beginning and faster in the end). Allow besieged cities to surrender which greatly reduces the plunder the enemy gets, but lets the city remain intact to a larger degree (either through player or with a certain chance).

Additionally I would add dynamic borders in war times such that the border is moving with respect to which player exerts which amount of control over it. E.g. when I can occupy a tile for some time and with a certain strength and it's connected to my tiles it becomes fully mine. War has often been fought over terrain control. Cities should become less of a target and instead the tiles itself and the resources they contain should become more important. Often in Civilization I'm forced to take a city, because I want terrain it occupies. This should not be necessary.

Some good ideas here. Especially the part over fighting over terrain should be implemented somehow, even if it is just as a chance to hand over tiles during peace negotiations.

I had a suggestion of splitting a terrain tile into 7 unit tiles, allowing up to 7 units to stay in one tile, their positions relevant, and you could designate a terrain tile consisting of 2-7 units as an army which would move from tile to tile in their set formation. Just an idea that I think might have merit...
    Diplogamer formerly known as LzPrst

Comment

Originally posted by LzPrst View Post
      I had a suggestion of splitting a terrain tile into 7 unit tiles, allowing up to 7 units to stay in one tile, their positions relevant, and you could designate a terrain tile consisting of 2-7 units as an army which would move from tile to tile in their set formation. Just an idea that I think might have merit...
      That sounds interesting actually. Only problem would be how to adapt this in a simple way for mainstream gamers.

Comment

Mainstream gamers? Civ has never been for the need4speed or fps crowd and it shouldn't try to be. It is its own genre with its own fanbase and it should stick to what it is good at and appeal first to its base, then to related fields and only after that to the mainstream. If the core fanbase dies the game becomes a fruit fly, like Spore or mainstream games which contain a few hours of fun and then are never played again. If that is the case then expansions and sequels will sell poorly. Ironically, it is the core fan base that are such die hards that they continue to buy each new iteration hoping that this time they won't get screwed over. Which invariably they do. To appeal to the thrillseeker game market with a series like Civ is pure idiocy. That the people at 2k do not realize this continues to amaze me. Civ should never be console-ified.

Civ should be all about depth and replayability. If you make it more like Gears of War then more people will buy it, play through it once and then maybe play a few multiplayer games before the next Call of Duty or whatever comes out and takes its place. That is not how you create a vibrant community which for a game like civ is the core to keeping the franchise strong. Depth and replayability do NOT combine with the mainstream gaming culture.

Yet to answer your question; the average console player understands football team formations without problem. Understanding flanking and unit grouping should not be a problem.
        Diplogamer formerly known as LzPrst

Comment

Working...
        X