Constructive commentary for Poly

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Constructive commentary for Poly

Hardly any new threads here anymore. Lot of activity on CivFanatics though...
    Hmmm, sign of the game not doing very well or have ppl simply defected to CF?...
    I used to enjoy cIV forums on this site a lot in the past - very different now

It's a combination of the game and the number of people. There is a number of people (a critical mass) required to keep the forum active, to start threads and respond to them. This critical mass will change depending on how good the game is; the more a game enthuses the people, the lower the critical mass will be.

If the game was Civ4 we'd have an active forum. If we'd the number of registered players that CF has, we'd have an active forum.

When I bought Civ5 I was full of optimism and very excited. Now, I think it's a decent enough game but it's not filling my spare time like it's predecessors. Partly this may be due to me getting older and life changig events like a kid and marriage that have happened. But it's more than that, the game doesn't excite me the way Civ4 did.

This length of time after civ4 was released I wanted to play it as much as possible. Not that bothered about civ5. It's decent but not as great a game as it's predecessors.

I'm hopeful that expansions will improve it.

Comment

I agree with you both. I've been coming to this forum for ten years. Its much different now.

I've also held off posting a thread called "Civilization V sucks" but that is how i feel. I've tried to get into this game, but it just doesn't grab me. I've purchased and enjoyed every single iteration of Civilization prior to this one (even Civ III), but as you say ColdPhoenix, its not as great as its predecessors.
      Haven't been here for ages....

Comment

Originally posted by Shogun Gunner View Post
        I agree with you both. I've been coming to this forum for ten years. Its much different now.

I've also held off posting a thread called "Civilization V sucks" but that is how i feel. I've tried to get into this game, but it just doesn't grab me. I've purchased and enjoyed every single iteration of Civilization prior to this one (even Civ III), but as you say ColdPhoenix, its not as great as its predecessors.
        2kgames has an active forum for Civ now, also, that I'm sure is robbing people from both Poly and CFC.

Anyway, plenty of "Civ5 sucks" threads over there.

Comment

Didn't a bunch of regulars go over to weplayciv? Or maybe some of them post both places. I missed what happened there though.
          While there might be a physics engine that applies to the jugs, I doubt that an entire engine was written specifically for the funbags. - Cyclotron - debating the pressing issue of boobies in games.

Comment

I post both places. But it is an either or thing for most I think.
            Do not fear, for I am with you; Do not anxiously look about you, for I am your God.-Isaiah 41:10
            I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made - Psalms 139.14a
            Also active on WePlayCiv.

Comment

I believe one of the reasons is that Apolyton haven't really been able to follow up on Civ V, compared to Civfanatics, so everybody went there instead
              This space is empty... or is it?

Comment

Originally posted by ColdPhoenix View Post

When I bought Civ5 I was full of optimism and very excited. Now, I think it's a decent enough game but it's not filling my spare time like it's predecessors. ...
                Similar to me...
                for me its a combination of lots to do in RL,
                and prefering to spend my spare time with LotRO at the moment.

At the moment there doesn´t seem to be any danger for me becoming a Civ V addict
                Last edited by Proteus_MST; November 11, 2010, 16:41.
                Tamsin (Lost Girl): "I am the Harbinger of Death. I arrive on winds of blessed air. Air that you no longer deserve."
                Tamsin (Lost Girl): "He has fallen in battle and I must take him to the Einherjar in Valhalla"

Comment

After game updates, expansions or popular mods arrive, there will be a spike of interest in forums (including this one). As the game matures and more people have strategies to share, ditto.

Where's Vel?

Comment

Originally posted by Adagio View Post
                    I believe one of the reasons is that Apolyton haven't really been able to follow up on Civ V, compared to Civfanatics, so everybody went there instead
                    How did other civ sites follow up on civ where we missed?
                    I think that we did a pretty good job on creating unique content for Apolyton (interviews, Q&A's, early review, etc). We also introduced new stuff, like the Arena, the University and the List. Other sites did not, or at least not as much. It's a given, none of those features are completely satisfying yet, and some aren't even finished.

But I do not think that we did not 'follow up'.
                    Civ5 isn't over yet, it's still supported a lot. But I think there's quite a negative vibe about civ5 right now. Worst of all maybe b/c people aren't really playing the game too much.

I'm trying to find out what civ5 is lacking that gives the urgent need for people to just play more turns.

I may write a blog article about it.
                    If Firaxis is able to address this issue (Which is even more important then the bugs or the crashes or the AI!! imho), then civ5 will live up, and so will the forums.

But I'd like to learn how you think that we did not follow up. Feel free to be honest, we can only learn.
                    Formerly known as "CyberShy"
                    Carpe Diem tamen Memento Mori

Comment

Originally posted by Robert Plomp View Post
                      Maybe you did follow up on Civ news, but I just couldn't find it. When you're on a random forum page, you don't see any news, like you did on the old forum. The only way to find news was by checking if anyone posted a thread on it

But to be honest I didn't follow the news that much myself either as I have been busy the last year
                      This space is empty... or is it?

Comment

Originally posted by Adagio View Post
                        Frankly, at the times of Civ 2 and 3, poly looked as big as cfc. It started dropping behind with Civ 4, in part because mod support and forums were just better at cfc. Thunderfall would help you host your mods, advertise them, etc. without your asking anything while 'poly didn't do squat. Then there was the weplayciv split, and the result is the community has shrunk a lot. Add to that the fact that CtP2 is getting old and it had brought a lot of players here but no longer does, and you'll get reasons why CFC gets more people.
                        The questionable quality of Civ V certainly doesn't help. Not that it's a bad game, but it doesn't seem as good as Civ 4 or 2 to many people.
                        Clash of Civilization team member
                        (a civ-like game whose goal is low micromanagement and good AI)
                        web site http://clash.apolyton.net/frame/index.shtml and forum here on apolyton)

Comment

Originally posted by Robert Plomp View Post
                          I think that we did a pretty good job on creating unique content for Apolyton (interviews, Q&A's, early review, etc). We also introduced new stuff, like the Arena, the University and the List. Other sites did not, or at least not as much. It's a given, none of those features are completely satisfying yet, and some aren't even finished.

But I do not think that we did not 'follow up'.
                          Civ5 isn't over yet, it's still supported a lot. But I think there's quite a negative vibe about civ5 right now. Worst of all maybe b/c people aren't really playing the game too much.

I'm trying to find out what civ5 is lacking that gives the urgent need for people to just play more turns.

I may write a blog article about it.
                          If Firaxis is able to address this issue (Which is even more important then the bugs or the crashes or the AI!! imho), then civ5 will live up, and so will the forums.

But I'd like to learn how you think that we did not follow up. Feel free to be honest, we can only learn.

I would like to request that we get a strategy forum (assuming there are enough still here to use it).

The feel of AU is wrong, for me. I do not want to write an article. I want to chat about strategy. Articles might follow from the chatter, but the way the V forums were set up seems forced. AU came about organically from the Civ3 strategy community. The community starts with a simple forum to discuss things. Of course, we can do that in this forum. It isn't crowded at this point.
                          (\__/)
                          (='.'=)
                          (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

Feel free to start a thread on strategy... I'd rather read and contribute to a strategy thread then some thread whining about how bad the game sucks
                            Keep on Civin'
                            RIP rah, Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Originally posted by Jaybe View Post
                              Where's Vel?
                              Not playing because his system cannot handle it. Plus real life...

Same here.
                              Yes, let's be optimistic until we have reason to be otherwise...No, let's be pessimistic until we are forced to do otherwise...Maybe, let's be balanced until we are convinced to do otherwise. -- DrSpike, Skanky Burns, Shogun Gunner
                              ...aisdhieort...dticcok...

Comment

Working...
                              X