Some Suggestions For an Otherwise Great Game

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Iola of Shinola View Post

As far as the "evolution" of units go... well it seems like so much sophistry to me. The knights did not get hold of AK-47's, and if they did, they wouldn't be knights anymore. What I choose to take from your responses, is that I should work on not being so annoyed by the inevitable outcome of these mismatches. It is CIV, afterall. I hear you. I will adjust back to the bad old days of Civ and Civ 2-- but my question is-- why should I have to? As we are moving forward with these game concepts-- why do we return to problems left in the dust 10 years ago?
    Yes, that bothers me that every leader has to repeat the errors of those who went before him. Think of all the ships sunk off the east coast during WWII after the US entered the war. Yes, I really don't like spearmen being capeable of killing off a tank (unless the odds are almost astronomical, as it can happen, as in no fuel or tankers asleep while the spearmen infiltrate), but it is also unrealistic to expect any nation to be so pitifully armed. Hey, even I keep my spearmen around. I don't build too much military early and that invites attack. But, with sufficient cash, those spearmen can be brought up to snuff in fairly short order - probably still too short, but at least V makes you upgrade in steps.

So, next game I will try to resist global domination and go for my old space race stand bye from IV.
    Quality is Job 1.01

Comment

Here's my suggestions:
      When talking about other civs, they should use the country name instead of leader name. I certainly prefer the AI saying "Russia is annoying, let's attack them" instead of "Cathrine is annoying, let's attack her"... and this goes everywhere. I'm tired of seeing "Gold to Hula-Bula has ended", then I have first figure out what civ Hula-Bula is the leader of before I can talk to them again. I see everything as "This is Russia and this is France", not as "This is Cathrines civ and this is Napoleons civ"

I would also like some research bonus for each tech another civ (who I have open borders with) has researched. If I have open borders with all civs and all civs has a tech I don't have, then I should get a max of 50% off when researching that tech

Originally posted by Orange46 View Post
      I find it difficult in busy areas to spot the active unit.
      Same here. Often I just press the "unit needs orders" button, makes it a bit easier to see it
      This space is empty... or is it?

Comment

I have suffered with the name/country problem since it was first introduced in Civ whatever.

My formula for research would be [Original Research Price - Research Flasks Expended] * [(1-{# of known civs that have this advancement) / total civs}]. However, Adagio's idea of the civ not just being known but having an open border's relationship is also good.
        Quality is Job 1.01

Comment

Agree with the ruler/country issue.

Agree in concept with the diffusion of technology issue, but I believe Open Borders should just be one of many factors that determine how fast Tech should spread. All contact ( research agreements would be a huge natural source of diffusion from the more advanced culture ) whether friendly or not would have the chance of spreading tech. EXG: it didn't take the Russians long to study Germany's Panzers and develop the T34. The more contacts and the more CIV's that have a particular technology, the faster the knowledge should spread.

What the game really needs is technology and refinements. IE The technology is Rifling, and mark I would be breech loading Ferguson type. A step up from a musket, but a long way from a mark VIII AK-47. Each player would choose what tech to research and how much effort it was putting into refinements. Each mark would represent a small improvement, and some refinements would only be triggered by other techs. IE The technology would be sailing, and each mark would take you thru slightly better ships, until you get to the ships that require cannon. No further progress could be made until that technology was reached. Then to improve your navy further, refinements would have to be reached in each technology to unlock the next ship. But hey, now we are talking about a whole 'nother game here. But the concept would be that reaching certain threshold refinements triggers the release of the base technology. IE I have researched the mark V rifles. My stockpile of mark III rifles is pretty much worthless, and I am not going to be guarding that tech from diffusion anymore.
          There is nothing more dangerous than a large group of naive americans led by a moron.

Comment

Also another thing that I would love to see changed is the scoring: Now I haven't really dig that much into to yet, but it seems like the scoring completely ignores things like difficulty, which means that if you play a game on the easiest difficulty half a sleep half drunk, then you'll probably end up getting a higher score than if you are playing a serious game on a much higher difficulty

Also it would be nice if the hall of fame is not just something you have on the computer you finished the game on. The hall of fame is something that should be sent to the server, so that you can see your hall of fame on all computers. And it would also be nice if the hall of fame also includes your friends scores, so I can see what kind of scores my friends has
            This space is empty... or is it?

Comment

Thank you Civ V team for the patch, which I just discovered. Now, to see how it works on my current game. I see from the fix list that some buildings have had changes, and although I did not write about that yet, thanks in advance. Also, the AIs I play thank you for reducing the -33 open ground penalty and forcing selections to be made when earned. I may regret these changes, but so be it.

And now, to continue the game, which I hope will be my first military King victory. My cheap diplo victory in King was just to easy to count as a victory at this level, and no other type of victory was even remotely possible.
              Quality is Job 1.01

Comment

On unit strengths, the "simple" thing might be to add a couple of new promotions to the mix. I suggest:

Armor-piercing: Granted automatically to all gunpowder-using and later units. Gives 25% bonus against all pre-gunpowder units.

Fragmentation: Granted automatically to all explosive-projectile units (Artillery, Rocket Artillery, Aircraft, Destroyer, Battleship, Submarine, Missile Cruiser, Anti-air gun/SAM, Tank/Armor, Helicopter). Gives 25% bonus against all non-Fragmentation units. (for a cumulative 50% bonus with Armor-piercing against pre-gunpowder units)

You can boost these to 33% or 50% if you think that a bigger bonus is needed, but I think that this would help to increase the disparity between pre-gunpowder units, gunpowder units, and "modern" units without creating a "first to gunpowder wins" situation, and without having to mess with the underlying combat system.
                Those who live by the sword...get shot by those who live by the gun.

Comment

Working...
                X