Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How well is Civ 5 selling

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • How well is Civ 5 selling

    I'm interested to know how well civ 5 is selling in comparison to civ 4. Now that Steam is in use, and piracy is probably minimized compared to CIV4, wouldnt one expect to see significantly increased sales of CIV5? If the enhanced sales are not there, doesnt that result invalidate the whole 'raison d'etre' for using Steam and other DRM that merely annoy and alienate fans of civ who, like me, will not play civ5?
    We need seperate human-only games for MP/PBEM that dont include the over-simplifications required to have a good AI
    If any man be thirsty, let him come unto me and drink. Vampire 7:37
    Just one old soldiers opinion. E Tenebris Lux. Pax quaeritur bello.

  • #2
    I am interested in the numbers as well.

    Steam was chosen not only (or mainly) for the DRM. Also why would you think that there is less piracy? The pirated version of the game was out before the European release date.
    Quendelie axan!

    Comment


    • #3
      I read the number 360,000 somewhere a week ago. I think in google news one site reported this. Not sure if it was regional or worldwide. I should have made an article out of it but I didn't
      Formerly known as "CyberShy"
      Carpe Diem tamen Memento Mori

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by SpencerH View Post
        I'm interested to know how well civ 5 is selling in comparison to civ 4. Now that Steam is in use, and piracy is probably minimized compared to CIV4, wouldnt one expect to see significantly increased sales of CIV5? If the enhanced sales are not there, doesnt that result invalidate the whole 'raison d'etre' for using Steam and other DRM that merely annoy and alienate fans of civ who, like me, will not play civ5?
        Steam

        Comment


        • #5
          There you go:

          A strong performer in September was Civilization V, the turn based strategy title from Firaxis and 2K Games, which apparently managed to move about 350,000 copies to gamers but will not appear in the upcoming NPD chart, which does not include PC only launches.


          source
          Formerly known as "CyberShy"
          Carpe Diem tamen Memento Mori

          Comment


          • #6
            Civ games are also steady sellers-- id wager that most of us will buy expansions and DRM regardless of our feelings over niggling details of the game.

            Comment


            • #7
              That would mean they already made at least 17 million in income so far. Can those QA people be re-hired pretty please with sugar on top? Seems to me they made a penny wise pound foolish decision to fire them. On the other hand, who am I kidding, 99% of those sales would have gone through either way.

              Comment


              • #8
                Now the only thing we would have to know would be the sales figures for Civ IV during its first month
                This black page in history is not colourfast, will stain the next

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Sir Og View Post
                  I am interested in the numbers as well.

                  Steam was chosen not only (or mainly) for the DRM. Also why would you think that there is less piracy? The pirated version of the game was out before the European release date.
                  Perhaps I'm wrong, but I assumed that Steam was a more effective DRM than the previously used Securom. I havent looked for a pirate version since I feel it would be wrong to play CIV without paying for it (after all this isnt my first CIV, I'm not just "trying it out"). I find it hard to believe that 2K is willing to alienate CIV fans who are opposed to Steam without it being a more efficient DRM. I suppose there are other financial kickbacks from Steam to 2K that may explain it.
                  We need seperate human-only games for MP/PBEM that dont include the over-simplifications required to have a good AI
                  If any man be thirsty, let him come unto me and drink. Vampire 7:37
                  Just one old soldiers opinion. E Tenebris Lux. Pax quaeritur bello.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Proteus_MST View Post
                    Now the only thing we would have to know would be the sales figures for Civ IV during its first month
                    Someones gotta know! C'mon Plompie we know your "in tight" with Sid
                    We need seperate human-only games for MP/PBEM that dont include the over-simplifications required to have a good AI
                    If any man be thirsty, let him come unto me and drink. Vampire 7:37
                    Just one old soldiers opinion. E Tenebris Lux. Pax quaeritur bello.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      The claim is that Steam is an "improvement" to benefit the players by making it easy to be sure that you have the latest version, yadda yadda. Since Steam is a security threat, I disable my Internet connection before launching the game. [Silly me, I had thought that if you played in "Offline Mode" then Steam would not go out to the Internet, but no, it still does, it just won't try to update your game without your permission.] This way it only stops and prompts me three times before actually launching the game, once to say "Do you know you're in offline mode? Don't you want to go online?" The answer of course is hell no, that's why I have it in offline mode in the first place. Then it asks me if I want to launch the game. Perhaps that's why I launched it? Then it says "Oh no, your game might not be synched to the Steam Cloud. Do you want to continue?" See "Hell No" above.

                      Steam is a grave disservice to the community.
                      "...your Caravel has killed a Spanish Man-o-War."

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Whatever. Steam is far better than SecuROM. I've never observed ANY of the notifications the above poster is writing about. It and Impulse are both great digital distribution mediums, and I will continue to use them. I've been simply not buying most games that are not distributed on one of those systems. Its the future, baby, boxed games are going to vanish, so get used to steam--

                        its here to stay.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by SpencerH View Post
                          Perhaps I'm wrong, but I assumed that Steam was a more effective DRM than the previously used Securom. I havent looked for a pirate version since I feel it would be wrong to play CIV without paying for it (after all this isnt my first CIV, I'm not just "trying it out"). I find it hard to believe that 2K is willing to alienate CIV fans who are opposed to Steam without it being a more efficient DRM. I suppose there are other financial kickbacks from Steam to 2K that may explain it.
                          I think not buying civ5 is the right thing to do, but you did it for the wrong reasons. Steam is not even in top 100 of the problems that this game has right now.
                          Quendelie axan!

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Thread update

                            From http://gamrreview.vgchartz.com/sales...ivilization-v/

                            Sid Meier's Civilization V Sales (PC) Worldwide Sales History
                            Week 1 192,874
                            Week 2 67,612
                            Week 3 36,423
                            Week 4 25,928
                            Week 5 30,589
                            5 Week Total 353,426

                            Of those, 235,171 have been sold in the Americas.
                            "If black people robbed you, I'd not consider it prejudice for you to be angry at black people in general" - Ben Kenobi
                            Lessons in Christianity.

                            Keep on Civin'
                            RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              interesting. would have never guessed us: rest of the world ratio is 2:1.
                              also, interesting to note higher sales in the last week. patch effect & dlc?

                              any precise sales figures available for IV?

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X