The receipe for success in Civ V

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The receipe for success in Civ V

The civ fanbase quickly came up with a cookbook approach to Civ V that will allow you to win games a couple of difficulty levels higher than you were able to beat Civ IV.

1. Direct all your efforts to obtaining early horsemen and use as many as you can get to clear your continent of the insanely bellicose AI civs. You probably want to keep only the capitals and any city with luxury resources you need. Do the initial expansion safely. Barbarians are the most dangerous foes in Civ V.

2. Delay accepting social policies – choose only a few that have real impact. There is some debate over which to choose, but the patronage line is high priority. This can be followed by free thought under rationalism and then planned economy.

3. Ally with all local city states possible. Get a caravel in the water to find the other continent and sell resources to the other civs. Particularly sell to the smaller civs – you will usually find a superpower on the other continent. Manage the number of units carefully. You don’t need many workers or military units once the AI civs are gone.

These ideas usually produce a lengthy period where you are managing happiness and using all the gold you can to keep the allied city states on board. Make sure you build the FP! You will typically get a tech lead, sometimes a laughably large lead, or, at least, be reasonably close.

At the end of the game, you will be in a position to add some production cities without causing unmanageable unhappiness and you can tilt toward hammer production to build a military to finish the conquest, if that’s what you want to do. Read the fine print on the social policies carefully. Some policies that are out of favor in real life are very powerful in Civ V.

Better do it quickly. They are very likely to fix the horsemen in an upcoming patch – they are presently hugely overpowered.
    Last edited by jshelr; October 15, 2010, 09:18.
    Illegitimi Non Carborundum

I'm quite happy there's no recipe for success - while there are some basic guidelines such as the ones you stipulate, local conditions reign supreme. This might change if the AI ever becomes 'sentient'.

Comment

Glad to see that there's another new "best way to win" strategy for the game. I guess the drawback to this one would be having no horses in your domain.
      What's up, hot dog?

Comment

Then it might be time for the cookbook culture strategy. At least you find out about horses quickly.
        "...your Caravel has killed a Spanish Man-o-War."

Comment

Seems like horses are very very common. Never had the problem. In case it's not obvious, I completely agree that there shouldn't be a best way to win strategy. Too bad that there is one.

Comment

And what do you do when the AI makes use of spearmen, a lot of them, early?
            (\__/)
            (='.'=)
            (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

Spears

OK. here is a deity game. You are located next to Greece (gulp) and you have built 4 horsemen as fast as you can. You then allied yourself with a city state to get access to more horses and you've sold all your lux to other civs to pay for the alliance. Alex, as per usual, is annoying all his neighbors. You are ready to go to war in the worst possible case. Alex is numero uno on the pointy spears list.

See what you think.

Actually, the answer to the last question is simply speed. The way Civ V is set up now, IMHO, you can deliver too many horsemen too quickly to your neighboring civ for them to handle, spears or no spears. (You do have to fight aggressively but accurately so that you don't lose your horsemen.)

Good luck.
              Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by jshelr View Post
                Seems like horses are very very common. Never had the problem. In case it's not obvious, I completely agree that there shouldn't be a best way to win strategy. Too bad that there is one.
                Well, it's hard to call this "the best way to win strategy" when there are four or five other "best way to win strategies" out there.

I could go into detail outlining my strategy and call it the best way to win as well, because I haven't lost a game since I've implemented it, but that doesn't mean it's the best. It just means it's a way to win that works for me.

For me, if a strategy makes the game too easy to win, I just tweak things around and make it tougher. Try playing with scarce resources if you think the horse thing breaks the game... or play on islands or make some other adjustment. That's what I'd do.
                What's up, hot dog?

Comment

Don't get me wrong on this issue. I didn't invent any of this material -- just reporting a summary from other sources.

And I don't mind winning the game once in a while either

However, in Civ IV, there were a relatively large number of good strategies that you should employ depending on the conditions you found in your start. IMO, in Civ V you should just build horses and break things with them.

I agree that we could all fix this ourselves by simply refusing to do it. It would be better, and will likely happen, if an upcoming patch tones down the impact of horses.

Comment

I think you're not looking at your blind spot if you claim there is but one true strategy, and one efficient way to move towards it. That would reduce life to a mathematical equasion, and strategy to a little something like this:

Comment

ok, being polite, i'm not saying you can't beat Civ V a million different ways. i am saying that you can beat Civ V reliably one way. IMO, there was no one way that nearly always worked in earlier civ versions.

is that clear? I'm just reporting on a balance issue others have found that I had not seen discussed here at poly. Or, rather, the delayed social policy and focus on patronage was an article here "Who's Your Buddy."

You may think having such a simple procedure work well is ok. I don't. It needs to be fixed.

Comment

IMO, there was no one way that nearly always worked in earlier civ versions.
                        Well, much the same could be said of ICS back in (he says, dating himself). IIRC there was also a "slingshot-to-knights, ride down the world" strat that was similar to the Civ V horse rush, it just took longer to come up to speed.

You may think having such a simple procedure work well is ok. I don't. It needs to be fixed.
                        OK, to be fair, I agree that this strat is too easy and needs to be nerfed at least enough to make it a challenge to pull off, at least from levels King and up. Of course the challenge is to weaken it without breaking other things, but that's where the "balance" threads come in. [I design business simulations, and even there "play balance" is one of the hardest challenges.]
                        "...your Caravel has killed a Spanish Man-o-War."

Comment

ok, being polite, i'm not saying you can't beat Civ V a million different ways. i am saying that you can beat Civ V reliably one way. IMO, there was no one way that nearly always worked in earlier civ versions.
                          To be fair, whipping in civ 4 was seriously overpowered.
                          If there is no sound in space, how come you can hear the lasers?
                          ){ :|:& };:

Comment

Originally posted by Zoetstofzoetje View Post
                            I think you're not looking at your blind spot if you claim there is but one true strategy, and one efficient way to move towards it. That would reduce life to a mathematical equasion, and strategy to a little something like this:

That's easy:

:
                            The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so
                            certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts.
                            -- Bertrand Russell

Comment

IMO, there was no one way that nearly always worked in earlier civ versions.
                              Except for ICS that is, which is only absent from Civ IV. Ask Yin26.
                              The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so
                              certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts.
                              -- Bertrand Russell

Comment

Working...
                              X