Minimizing some of the balance issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Minimizing some of the balance issues

For those that want to play the game and make it a bit more balanced and challenging, here are some options.

In advanced game setup:
    Move the CS slider to 0 cities.
    Some may disagree, but the logic is quite undeniable - both the player and some of the AIs (Greeks, Siamese) can use CS for a huge benefit.
    Also the AI civs are often distracted by CS militarily, thus not focusing on the important enemies (and focus is what they need since they are so poor at military leadership).

Tick "No barbarians".
    They add flavour, but only the human player is (ab-)using them to any serious extent.
    That's not to say there are civs that can completely obliterate others with the benefit they get from barbarians (Germans, Songhai).

Tick "No ancient ruins".
    Do you really want those crossbows/pikemen/riflemen wandering around in classical era?
    Again, they add flavour, but they also distract both you and AI from the important stuff.

Add more AI civs to the limit.
    I don't know what is the max for each map size, but for huge you can go 16->22 civs this way.
    You get more opponents and less space to expand peacefully for everyone.
    It will still be enough in most cases, but it will limit odd settling of cities on the other side of map as much of the land will already be taken and movement will be obstructed by other civs.

EDIT:
    5. Use "regular" or "abundant" resources (not "standard")
    According to information from rah, game puts the resources in an irregular fashion when set to "standard", which might prevent you from just expanding, by encouraging both you and AI to settle far away from the capital.
    Not saying that resources should be put like a grid, but they should be somewhat regularly distributed over the map.

On top of this you can add some home rules, like:
    - not building Trading Posts (what the heck is a "trading post" anyway and how can it cover land that's supposed to be several hundred square kilometers?! )
    - not using great generals vs AI (since they don't know how to use them)
    - not chopping forest/jungle
    - only improving tiles that give +2 total resources or more after improvement (resources, river, lake tiles)
    - etc.

Home rules, however, are likely to not be necessary if you play on immortal/deity, the game will be ok with the balance stuff already.
    On lower levels it is too easy for me at least.

Feel free to comment/add.
    Last edited by binTravkin; October 13, 2010, 05:15.
    -- What history has taught us is that people do not learn from history.
    -- Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning.

lovely list...

edit: maybe not balance issue, but makes the game a lot better for me - playing in late game and being dead bored for wating between the turns - go to windowed mode, surf the internet while waiting for the turn to end
    Last edited by OneFootInTheGrave; October 12, 2010, 05:27.
    Socrates: "Good is That at which all things aim, If one knows what the good is, one will always do what is good." Brian: "Romanes eunt domus"
    GW 2013: "and juistin bieber is gay with me and we have 10 kids we live in u.s.a in the white house with obama"

Comment

Take out all the flavor and I might as well just load up IV
      It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
      RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Originally posted by rah View Post
        What the ferret said.

Comment

The problem is that CS flavour leaves a bad taste.

I think 2 and 3 from the OP are not necessary.
          Quendelie axan!

Comment

Are TPs, barbs and ruins "all the flavour" in your list?
            -- What history has taught us is that people do not learn from history.
            -- Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning.

Comment

City states and how the run the barbs are the new features that I like the best. You can't just not protect your cap for the first X turns like you could in IV. Or if you do, it's more risky.
              City states are a lot of fun. When they were first introduced they were considered too strong and were adjusted, then they were considered too weak. Then people learned how to take true advantage of them so it will probably be reviewed/adjusted again. I still love the concept. If gives you a few extra different ways to play the game. The first few games I played I refused to give them any money, but then I learned.
              I'm loving 1upt but the AI still needs some work in this area. Hexs I prefer. This game has a lot of promise and if it gets half the effort that IV did, we should end up with a great game.
              It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
              RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Working...
              X