My experience with happiness and large empires

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My experience with happiness and large empires

After playing a few games I'm seeing what might be an annoying trend that will require users to do some serious micro management in order to maintain a productive empire. Read on and I'll explain.

Happiness is global.
    Unhappiness effects both growth rate and production.*

--------------------
    Edit: Sorry, I was mistaken. Production is not effected until you reach 10 unhappiness, so the system has an inbuilt slowdown to prevent cascading unhappiness and inefficiency in the empire. The decrease in production I saw must of been due to 10 unhappiness (I was at war at the time and had captured two cities).
    If being between 1 and 10 unhapiness has any other ill effects then It still requires the magical "stop growth if below x hapiness button" so that you can maintain an efficient empire, otherwise the system already has this magical button by automatically slowing down growth when you become unhappy.
    --------------------

You get unhappiness from both number of cities and population size.
    Large empires struggle to maintain happiness.
    Unhappiness is a built in game mechanic used to decrease the effectiveness of expansion.
    That's all fine except it leads to the following;

In my recent games I have expanded like crazy, and wavered in and out of happiness throughout the course of the game. As soon as you become happy cities grow fast (especially with 5+ maritime city state allies), and it doesn't take long before you dip back into unhappiness.

Being unhappy seriously destroys the effectiveness of your empire. It is much more efficient to remain small and happy than it is to venture into unhappiness.

What I have begun to do is prevent city growth when I fall below a certain level of happiness ~ 5. This prevents my cities from becoming unhappy and keeps the empire running optimally. In the long run my growth is faster because I can use the extra production to build more happiness buildings quicker at which point I can turn back on growth and repeat the cycle.

This works very well but it's a really annoying micromanagement effort. I have to go into each of my cities and turn on and off growth every few turns.

There needs to be a "prevent city growth if happiness is < X" option for the city governors. Without such an option it's a pain in the !$#% to have to turn off and on growth for every city manually to prevent this oscillation in and out of unhappiness.
    Last edited by frenzyfol; October 11, 2010, 18:02.

How doeas happiness affect production? AFIK all it does is stop growth and give you a combat penalty.
    Quendelie axan!

Comment

Are you sure? I'll double check when I get home.
      I think it also modifies how long your golden ages are, which is a pretty serious penalty considering how powerful golden ages appear to be.

Comment

It affects growth as soon as you become unhappy. Growth is restricted to 1/4.

Once you get to -10 happy or lower then it severely affects production too (don't remember exactly how much). Given the slowed growth you shouldn't get to this stage unless you're conquering/founding cities as you should have plenty of time to build happiness buildings.

Comment

50% just checked.

Comment

Civ was always a micromanagement game does it? If your city's governors can do all that, it's to easy I think. What I think is missing in Civ5 to save prodution lists. The production list is to restricted! (only 6 items) And there should be an option make a list with market place, and Bank as seccond option. If the game got Civ4 production lists it would be a whole lot easier to build buildings in the right order. So that you can build happiness buildings as wel.
            Civilization is a game where man dominate a fictive world.. woman does it for real

Comment

Originally posted by Beatie View Post
              Civ was always a micromanagement game does it? If your city's governors can do all that, it's to easy I think. What I think is missing in Civ5 to save prodution lists. The production list is to restricted! (only 6 items) And there should be an option make a list with market place, and Bank as seccond option. If the game got Civ4 production lists it would be a whole lot easier to build buildings in the right order. So that you can build happiness buildings as wel.
              Yep!

We should also be able to select multiple cites on the city list menu (F2) and change production orders there for multiple cities. Including the option to insert build orders before the current item which is being built. (just like in civ 4)

Also I am sure that before the release the only penalties for extreme unhappiness were said to be "no growth" and "combat penalty". Will check this when I get some time.
              Quendelie axan!

Comment

the way to deal with happines/unhappines for easy win... just in the other thread... sure it breaks the game, but you wanted to sort out the happiness right?

there is one more option, where you just focus on trading post spam, live in perpetual unhappinnes, buy all the builidings/units and win that way... if you search around a bit you will find that thread too...
                Socrates: "Good is That at which all things aim, If one knows what the good is, one will always do what is good." Brian: "Romanes eunt domus"
                GW 2013: "and juistin bieber is gay with me and we have 10 kids we live in u.s.a in the white house with obama"

Comment

I think empire wide "avoid growth" command would be good.
                  The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so
                  certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts.
                  -- Bertrand Russell

Comment

--------------------
                    Edit: Sorry, I was mistaken. Production is not effected until you reach 10 unhappiness, so the system has an inbuilt slowdown to prevent cascading unhappiness and inefficiency in the empire. The decrease in production I saw must of been due to 10 unhappiness (I was at war at the time and had captured two cities).
                    If being between 1 and 10 unhapiness has any other ill effects then It still requires the magical "stop growth if below x hapiness button" so that you can maintain an efficient empire, otherwise the system already has this magical button by automatically slowing down growth when you become unhappy.
                    --------------------

Comment

Speaking of "avoid growth". What happenes if you have let's say +8 food from maritime CSs and you hit the avoid growth button on a size 1 city?
                      Quendelie axan!

Comment

Originally posted by frenzyfol View Post
                        --------------------
                        --------------------
                        See post 4

Comment

Working...
                        X