Road Maintenance in the Boonies

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Road Maintenance in the Boonies

Simple question that hadn't occurred to me: do you pay maintenance for roads that you built that are outside your territory?
    "...your Caravel has killed a Spanish Man-o-War."

Yes. You pay maintenance if you build it, but not if someone else did. However, if your border expands and the road someone else built ends up inside your territory, you then start paying maintenance on it. Conversely, if you build a road in neutral territory and someone else's border encroaches, they should take the cost from you.
    What's up, hot dog?

Comment

Yeah if you own CSs, it's always good if you can build roads on their land to connect your cities because you get the trade route bonus without paying for that section of your road network. (another bonus for using CSs.)
      It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
      RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

I like how rah betrays him American roots by referring to an alliance with a city-state as ownership.
        John Brown did nothing wrong.

Comment

Yep, they're bought and paid for.
          One of the good things you can say about CIV V. As long as you make sure they're continually paid off, you can trust them. Unlike IV where I got attacked by a civ that I was +17 with.
          It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
          RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Pay attention! If the city state is no longer allied the trade-route is broken (even friends), and if you are in the same team multiplayer, if your road goes even one tile through your team-member's border it no longer counts as a trade route Very annoying!
            --< If Brute force isn't working, you're not using enough! >--

Comment

I have a feeling that fog of war also cancels trade routes.

I had a game where I conquered some civ and raised most of their cities. As a result there were a lot of roads left in the wilderness. those roads were connecting the capitol of said civ (which I had to keep) with my other cites but there seemed to be no trade route.

I thought that this was due to the fact that portions of the road were always covered in fog of war. Maybe the roads did not count because they were not built by me.
              Quendelie axan!

Comment

Originally posted by Lord Byte View Post
                Pay attention! If the city state is no longer allied the trade-route is broken (even friends), and if you are in the same team multiplayer, if your road goes even one tile through your team-member's border it no longer counts as a trade route Very annoying!
                Once I buy them, short of them being conquered, they stay mine. And if they're part of my trade network, they never get conquered.
                RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Originally posted by Sir Og View Post
                  I have a feeling that fog of war also cancels trade routes.

I had a game where I conquered some civ and raised most of their cities. As a result there were a lot of roads left in the wilderness. those roads were connecting the capitol of said civ (which I had to keep) with my other cites but there seemed to be no trade route.

I thought that this was due to the fact that portions of the road were always covered in fog of war. Maybe the roads did not count because they were not built by me.

I'm positive this isn't true. I am sure I have had road links going through fogged areas. It would be easy enough to verify.
                  (\__/)
                  (='.'=)
                  (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

Originally posted by notyoueither View Post
                    I'm positive this isn't true. I am sure I have had road links going through fogged areas. It would be easy enough to verify.
                    This would actually make sense to me as in my last game I took over a couple of capitals on another continent and occassionally I would get the cities were connected to my capital message and could never figure out what the cause was. In hindsight I think it was from moving my units to uncover the road that made the trade route to the city with the harbor.

Comment

Do you mean you were exploring the land and revealing the map, or that you had already explored everything and cities popped in and out of your trade network based on where your units could see?
                      (\__/)
                      (='.'=)
                      (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

I mean that I had explored everything but as I was moving across the continent to another target as my units removed the fog of war it would connect the trade route for the two turns it took them to move through the area.

Comment

Dissension!
                          While I agree that we have been told that we pay for roads we build outside our borders, I have compared costs and that seems to be false.

Check tile maint. costs; build road(s) outside of borders; check costs again.

Comment

Road maintenance. What an awesome idea.

Because road spam was such an obviously broken mechanic in Civ games.

Libraries are state sanctioned, so they're technically engaged in privateering. - Felch
                            I thought we're trying to have a serious discussion? It says serious in the thread title!- Al. B. Sure

Comment

Working...
                            X