Modern unit ranged attack fail

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jnh140 View Post
    Feel free to check out elemental: something or other. its a stardock-made MoM derivative. It had some problems on release, and is being updated, but for folks who hate civ 5, its got stacks, faux tactical combat, and no hex grid.
    Really? I've heard nothing but bad things about this game. Not just from chatter, but from legitimate review sources (PC Gamer, GameSpot, 1up) who have consistently pointed out massive bugs and crashes in the game. Didn't Stardock offer people refunds for the game?

TBH I was pretty excited about Elemental, just for the reason you mentioned, but the amazing negative blowback from the game turned me off. I've kind of figured I'll buy it in a year or two, after they've gotten it into working order.
    What's up, hot dog?

Comment

Certainly, a lot of those problems are there, but I'm more forgiving of stardock because it is stardock. I'm just pointing out that civ V is really not all that buggy compared to this, and it has a lot of facets folks just keep hammering home that they want.

Comment

Oh, OK. I think I misinterpreted your comment as being a response to me, as in "If you liked MoM then you'll like Elemental."

I agree with you 100% on the idea that Elemental is a great example of what an actual buggy game looks like. Kind of like how my comments are becoming a great example of how far off topic a conversation can stray when I'm involved.
        What's up, hot dog?

Comment

Originally posted by panther553212 View Post
          What it comes down to is you have to look at the unit compared to other units of the appropriate time period. When armies used archers they had range that was incredibly longer than say a swordsman or a pikeman. In the modern age though while tanks can fire at range their range is similar to that of other modern age units. So basically you end up with every modern unit being ranged(With no melee at all like archers) or you end up with them all being melee which comparatively makes sense. This also explains why artillery which has to be set up can still fire at range. The only place I really see a problem with this at all is if you have an archer with a scout upgrade kiting a musketman and killing him. To be fair Archers/Crossbowman were more accurate than musketeers were from a longer distance so it's not to much of a stretch.
          I think I get what you're saying. Basically, that hexes conceptually get smaller as the ages progress? E.g. archers are ranged compared to swordsmen, whereas tanks are not ranged compared to infantry. This also can make sense if you assume that the medieval ranged weapons fade out after the riflemen appear (which doesn't happen). The point being that as the ages progress, the battlefield gets larger therefore the distance that was considered "at range" in the past is now simply melee in the modern.

I guess I'm unhappy that this transition is absent and requires such a stretch of the imagination. Maybe a solution would be that crossbowmen/archers/chariots lose ranged attack after rifling is discovered... by anyone.

Comment

Originally posted by pdxsean View Post
            Really? I've heard nothing but bad things about this game. Not just from chatter, but from legitimate review sources (PC Gamer, GameSpot, 1up) who have consistently pointed out massive bugs and crashes in the game. Didn't Stardock offer people refunds for the game?

TBH I was pretty excited about Elemental, just for the reason you mentioned, but the amazing negative blowback from the game turned me off. I've kind of figured I'll buy it in a year or two, after they've gotten it into working order.
            Most of the COD bugs are cleaned. This is not the same version that has been reviewed by the sites (and I agree, at release, and even after couple of patches the game was horrible). There are still some bugs left, probably about the same amount as in Civ V, but overall it is good (for bagginess that is). In Civ V, for example I COD when I use the strategic map, and I can not crush the current version of Elemental. But in your place, I would wait until 1.1 patch where large changes are coming. The patch hopefully will be this month. Right now the game is not very interesting. It does have huge imbalances and game-play exploits. And if you thought AI in civ V is bad, you will ask "what AI?" when you play Elemental.

BUT! It is Stardock and they are dedicated to continue the game development. With Civ V you can hope on some general game clean up, but until new expansion you can forget about any change in gameplay. May be slightly smarter AI, may be small interface adjustments (may be it will stop crashing from strategic map for me) but that's about it. Elemental, from another hand will evolve. And first expansion is free for the current owners of the game.
            The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so
            certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts.
            -- Bertrand Russell

Comment

Working...
            X