Civ5 Rocks the House!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Civ5 Rocks the House!

Ok I played enough so I can comment. As a long time player of the series and I know many of you remember me, Civ5 rocks the house! Great game and possibly the best one in the series. I am finding so many things that I just love here. Embarked units on transports a big plus!! City states i love them! Hexes and combat with one unit on each hex another big plus! Animations are just incredible, battleships shooting, thats some good stuff. Need I go on? Great job Firaxis and yet another great game and win for the series. I look forward to the expansions on this one. I was getting tired of Civ4, i think they were trying to put too much into the game. Civ5 is a hit and right on with what made Civ2 the best in its time. Thumbs up baby!
    -PrinceBimz-

Unfortunately nobody from Firaxis comes to this forum anymore, but if they did they would be happy to know that there is somebody out there who loves what thay have made. (or more likely forced to make)
    Quendelie axan!

Comment

Originally posted by Sir Og View Post
      (or more likely forced to make)
      What do you mean? Do they use slave labor in Firaxis?

As per topic, majority of people do like the game. Usually though, people that do NOT like the game are the most vocal. That's normal in most spheres of life, including politics.
      I like the game too. It has a share of shortcomings (each game has), but overal package is great. And I am sure with future expansions, it will be only better.
      The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so
      certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts.
      -- Bertrand Russell

Comment

Personally, I can't wait for the heavy modding. If I wasn't so busy with finishing my grad degree, I'd be making a couple tasty mods.

Comment

Captain of Team Apolyton - ISDG 2012

When I was younger I thought curfews were silly, but now as the daughter of a young woman, I appreciate them. - Rah

Comment

Originally posted by jnh140 View Post
            Personally, I can't wait for the heavy modding. If I wasn't so busy with finishing my grad degree, I'd be making a couple tasty mods.
            Heh heh, I played Civ IV for a total of about 30 hours when it came out because I was working on my Ph.D. Now that I'm a professor, it's no better... but I'm making believe that I can get away with much more quality civ time for now. Eventually, I'll have to devote all this game time to publishing... but for now... just one more turn.
            kmj

Comment

what, you don't have time to play civ? did they give you to much teaching?

Comment

I like the game. Really... I go to my studio every morning anxious to play a little (my new laptop doesn't arrive yet), before I start my work... And, after the work is done, I stay a little longer to play... one... more... turn!
                RIAA sucks
                The Optimistas
                I'm a political cartoonist

Comment

Originally posted by kmj View Post
                  working on my Ph.D. Now that I'm a professor,
                  What field? I'm trying to finish my god forsaken chemistry degree myself.

Comment

Originally posted by kmj View Post
                    Heh heh, I played Civ IV for a total of about 30 hours when it came out because I was working on my Ph.D. Now that I'm a professor, it's no better...
                    At least you can take sabbatical (and enjoy civ during that), we, in industry can't do that and our vacations are sooo short. Well, at least they pay us better than in academia

By the way, according to your profile on this site, you are still a student...
                    -- Bertrand Russell

Comment

I am having a blast with it! I have the graphics maxed out on my pc and the animations are painfully cool. This is by far the most addictive civ game out of all of them, sometimes it makes me feel feel like i did when i first played Civ2. My friends! That is a feeling I have not had in a very long time. I have not been on these forums in ages and glad to see others are enjoying this game.
                      -PrinceBimz-

Comment

Originally posted by MxM View Post
                        What do you mean? Do they use slave labor in Firaxis?

As per topic, majority of people do like the game. Usually though, people that do NOT like the game are the most vocal. That's normal in most spheres of life, including politics.
                        I like the game too. It has a share of shortcomings (each game has), but overal package is great. And I am sure with future expansions, it will be only better.
                        I think they were forced by the publisher to release it even though people at Firaxis new very well that the game was not ready.
                        Quendelie axan!

Comment

I think the simple reality is that games are seldom "ready" to everyone's standards on release. I can think of one; starcraft 2, and people manage to still find a laundry list of complaints about that too, and thank the stars CiV didn't have THAT kind of development cycle.

A game not being what you want is not a poor release. Some bugs and exploits also do not make the game a poor release. Civ games have a long history of mods and patches and expansions, say what you will about civ 5, it is far more complex than Halo: Reach.

I've had few problems with civ5, most of them will be altered with some light modding, and anything else will be altered in a few patches and the expansion cycle. Its fun to scream bloody murder about corporate greed and inept programmers, but the reality is that Civ 5 was a high-quality AAA release.

Comment

Originally posted by Sir Og View Post
                            I think they were forced by the publisher to release it even though people at Firaxis new very well that the game was not ready.
                            But that would be "forced NOT to make more work"
                            -- Bertrand Russell

Comment

Originally posted by jnh140 View Post
                              I think the simple reality is that games are seldom "ready" to everyone's standards on release. I can think of one; starcraft 2, and people manage to still find a laundry list of complaints about that too, and thank the stars CiV didn't have THAT kind of development cycle.

A game not being what you want is not a poor release. Some bugs and exploits also do not make the game a poor release. Civ games have a long history of mods and patches and expansions, say what you will about civ 5, it is far more complex than Halo: Reach.

I've had few problems with civ5, most of them will be altered with some light modding, and anything else will be altered in a few patches and the expansion cycle. Its fun to scream bloody murder about corporate greed and inept programmers, but the reality is that Civ 5 was a high-quality AAA release.
                              I agree with everything you say here. So true about Starcraft 2 and excellent example
                              -PrinceBimz-

Comment

Working...
                              X