Automatic border growth

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Automatic border growth

I have found this feature to be annoying beyond belief. The game selects arbitrarily which tiles should next become available for my cities, and I have absolutely no control over which ties that may be.

Of course I could spend gold to acquire which ever tiles I may be interested in getting, but if I choose not to do that, the game selects (this is from playing experience) first tiles with resource bonuses; then grassland; then plains; then whatever; then hills.

Thing is, if the city is low on production, I want them hills now, but noooo....I will just have to wait for them, won't I?

Rant over

Is there anything I have missed here? Is it totally impossible to select which tile should next be targeted by my irresistable culture

Asmodean
    Im not sure what Baruk Khazad is , but if they speak Judeo-Dwarvish, that would be "blessed are the dwarves" - lord of the mark

I like how this mechanic works.

People move into areas that are most productive and as they do so those areas come under your control. The ability to buy tiles gives the player some control when it is really important.
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

I haven't had a chance to test this further, but I noticed in a recent game that my expansion beelined for a nondescript hex where I had a unit fortified. So I wonder if that gets the game's attention.

The strange choices it makes can be tough in MP with your first city, as it'll go for food instead of production.
      What's up, hot dog?

Comment

Originally posted by notyoueither View Post

People move into areas that are most productive and as they do so those areas come under your control. The ability to buy tiles gives the player some control when it is really important.
        Fair point However, it still annoys me.

A few thoughts:

- Tiles are acquired as a result of culture. As such I am assuming that the model tries to simulate ppl living in those areas falling under your influence. This would speak for the player not being allowed to choose which tiles are acquired.

- The player is a ruler. He (we) can choose which land is to be settled, and if ppl don't like it - well the prisons are starting to become a wee bit empty. Perhaps they would like to settle those instead.

- We can spend gold to buy extra land of our own choosing. We can buy the land, but the people didn't want to settle it in the first place. Huh? So are we bribing them to settle where they don't like to live?

- It all comes down to the game arbitrarily selecting tiles which may or may not be counter-productive to the players' wishes. At least let the selection follow the governor settings for the city. I.e. if the city is set to prioritize production, then have the game go for tiles with hammers etc.

Asmodean
        Im not sure what Baruk Khazad is , but if they speak Judeo-Dwarvish, that would be "blessed are the dwarves" - lord of the mark

Comment

The point of the computer choosing which tiles the player gains is to make the player have to buy tiles to get the ones they really want. It makes the game more strategic. If the computer didn't choose the tiles, buying tiles would simply be a useless thing, only used for fun when someone had too much gold. It would be more realistic for the player to be capable of choosing the tiles that they gained, but not having a choice without buying the tiles makes the game better, IMO.

Comment

Originally posted by Wyrda Edocsil View Post
            If the computer didn't choose the tiles, buying tiles would simply be a useless thing, only used for fun when someone had too much gold.
            I see the point as being able to say: "I want that tile NOW."
            "...your Caravel has killed a Spanish Man-o-War."

Comment

Originally posted by notyoueither View Post
              +1
              does AI ever rush buy a luxury plot?

Comment

Originally posted by Fidel View Post
                +1
                does AI ever rush buy a luxury plot?
                Difficulty to say without carefully observing the AI cities (or being very lucky by observing a rush buy within the first few turns after creation of a city, where it surely couldn´t have the culture for normal growth yet)
                After all e don´t know whether a crtain tile was bought by the AI or got created due to culture
                Tamsin (Lost Girl): "I am the Harbinger of Death. I arrive on winds of blessed air. Air that you no longer deserve."
                Tamsin (Lost Girl): "He has fallen in battle and I must take him to the Einherjar in Valhalla"

Comment

Originally posted by Wyrda Edocsil View Post
                  The point of the computer choosing which tiles the player gains is to make the player have to buy tiles to get the ones they really want. It makes the game more strategic. If the computer didn't choose the tiles, buying tiles would simply be a useless thing, only used for fun when someone had too much gold. It would be more realistic for the player to be capable of choosing the tiles that they gained, but not having a choice without buying the tiles makes the game better, IMO.
                  True....I'd still like it to follow some guidance though.

To me the best solution would be to have it adhere to governor settings.

Asmodean

Comment

Working...
                  X