Garrison in cities

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Garrison in cities

I just wonder if anyone knows how does it work. I was quite mad when I lost a city and my riflemen against a pikeman.
    They bombed my city defense down, but before they could take it I moved a fully healed riflemen inside. Still they took the city with a damaged pikeman without fighting my unit and killed it.
    So how is this working? I think they should not had ignore my garrisoned unit.. at least they shoud had fought with it..

Garrisons get ignored.
    This is another cool "feature" of new civ - the units attacking the city don't have to win the garrison in order to take the city.

This brings the spearman vs tank thing to a whole new level of awesomeness - you can have GDR in your city, but it still can be taken by enemy's warrior and your unit is "killed".
    -- What history has taught us is that people do not learn from history.
    -- Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning.

Comment

Originally posted by binTravkin View Post
      Garrisons get ignored.
      This is another cool "feature" of new civ - the units attacking the city don't have to win the garrison in order to take the city.

This brings the spearman vs tank thing to a whole new level of awesomeness - you can have GDR in your city, but it still can be taken by enemy's warrior and your unit is "killed".
      So what is the point into have garrison unit in your city's then? Exept that you can attack units from the city if possible. If they can't deffend the city.. sounds very strange to me.

edit: Hmm I think I understand, they give a bonus to the deffense of the city, when the deffense bar is emty, the city falls. So the bonus of the unit garrisoned, is already in the total sum of city deffenses right?
      Last edited by Beatie; September 28, 2010, 05:39.
      Civilization is a game where man dominate a fictive world.. woman does it for real

Comment

maybe it increases the city's attack strenght, but definately doesn't give any hp. I think it should be changed.. as long as I have units to move inside the city they should at least kill the one who is currently inside. (I mean kill it , not just banishing them to an other dimension)

Comment

It doesn't give HP to the city but does increase it's defence rating by a proportion of the strength of the unit.

Comment

Originally posted by ColdPhoenix View Post
            It doesn't give HP to the city but does increase it's defence rating by a proportion of the strength of the unit.
            So you have the choice, garrison unit, give the city a higher defense rate, or just keep in on the city hex and then it counts as regular units on the field.
            Civilization is a game where man dominate a fictive world.. woman does it for real

Comment

Originally posted by Beatie View Post
              So you have the choice, garrison unit, give the city a higher defense rate, or just keep in on the city hex and then it counts as regular units on the field.
              Yeah, but you can't fortify it in the second option. If you fortify a unit on a city tile it garrisons the city.

Comment

I don't think I ordered my unit to be garrisoned. I just moved it into the city tile, no fortify order or anything, yet it was killed without actual battle.

Comment

As I said
                  This brings the spearman vs tank thing to a whole new level of awesomeness
                  This game is so unready I wonder why did they ever give it to betas.
                  Technically it's still in Alpha stage - there are critical bugs and non-tested design issues all around (City States, Garrisoning, Happiness, the fact that your cities really only grow to some teen size since the foodbox gets way too big after, useless improvements like pastures on cow/sheep, etc).
                  -- What history has taught us is that people do not learn from history.
                  -- Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning.

Comment

Originally posted by mzprox View Post
                    I don't think I ordered my unit to be garrisoned. I just moved it into the city tile, no fortify order or anything, yet it was killed without actual battle.
                    If you move a unit onto a city with right-click then it automatically garrisons. If you want it to stand in the tile without being garrisoned, just click on the unit's symbol by the city name (I think) and then don't move it off the tile.

Comment

Working...
                    X