No announcement yet.

Minutement Can't Use Roads

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It's the promotion that causes this. The Scout ability reads something like "Ignores terrain movement cost" while the Minuteman ability is "All tiles cost 1 MP". The abilities probably should be the same, but the "everything costs 1 MP" means that roads and railroads don't speed up those units either.

Two other strange things I've found:

1) Rocket artillery says in the description and the Civilopedia entry that it doesn't have to set up before firing. It still has to set up for me; I think they forgot a promotion there.

2) Under the Patronage branch of social policies there's one called Aesthetics, that gives a minimum influence of 20 with a city state. It seems to automatically raise your standing to 20 if below that every turn. I was butting heads with Belgrade on the border and culture bombed with an artist, which immediately dropped our relations from 20 to -30. The following turn it was back to 20.
    Last edited by Quillan; September 30, 2010, 21:40. Reason: Added stuff
    Age and treachery will defeat youth and skill every time.

Comment

For historical accuracy, the minuteman should only receive the movement bonus when moving away from the enemy.

Comment

Originally posted by Sir Og View Post
        Speaking of upgrades. It seems that all "ranged" promotions suddenly become useless when you upgrade crossbow to infantry.
        Yeah, I don't upgrade them after Crossbows. My City Attack, 2 hit, extra range crossbow is more valuable than a Rifleman.

I was trying to think of units to keep the upgrade tree alive. I thought of every time period except the Renaissance, which is where we're having the trouble (Infantry era would be Mortar, modern would be RPG).
        Beer is proof that God loves you and wants you to be happy - Ben Franklin

Comment

Eh, grenadiers, like in civ4!
          - Dregor

Comment

Originally posted by Quillan View Post
            2) Under the Patronage branch of social policies there's one called Aesthetics, that gives a minimum influence of 20 with a city state. It seems to automatically raise your standing to 20 if below that every turn. I was butting heads with Belgrade on the border and culture bombed with an artist, which immediately dropped our relations from 20 to -30. The following turn it was back to 20.
            Funny...
            so, after getting patronage, you also don´t need to worry anymore about violating the borders of non allied city states
            Tamsin (Lost Girl): "I am the Harbinger of Death. I arrive on winds of blessed air. Air that you no longer deserve."
            Tamsin (Lost Girl): "He has fallen in battle and I must take him to the Einherjar in Valhalla"

Comment

Originally posted by dregor View Post
              I've been leaning towards that. I wonder if it overstates Grenadiers in history, however.

Comment

Originally posted by dregor View Post
                Yep. Get ready, boys! We're gonna chuck these here grenades over the mountain range on three!
                I don't know what I've been told!
                Deirdre's got a Network Node!
                Love to press the Buster Switch!
                Gonna nuke that crazy witch!

Comment

Honestly, I'm still torn on Grenadiers. On the one hand, they're a specialized unit that could certain hit quicker than cannons (representing the fact that you won't have to set them up) and they'd certainly have an explosive punch. They were also used to break up fortified units.

That being said, I'm pretty sure they had less range than Flintlock Muskets and were often closer to front-line troops. It's a weird situation. Certainly not analogous to the previous Archer/Spear combo.

But I feel I'm sidetracking this thread from the original purpose. After people have figured out how to add new units, I might start a thread on this subject because it'll make clear what I have to beg some artist to make.

Comment

I always wondered why didn't they make all gunpowder units ranged but without indirect fire ability.

Maybe they tried and it didn't work very well.
                    Last edited by Sir Og; October 5, 2010, 12:21.
                    Quendelie axan!

Comment

FYI, there's a mod now that fixes this.

Comment

I understand why they didn't, though. There's a distinction between ranged units and melee units. After gunpowder, the closest thing to melee units are people with guns in some way. Snipers and certain specialty units, as well as artillery have distant fire, support functions instead.

Comment

Maybe they should just have given gunpwder era units the a bility to bombard pre gun powder units over 2 hexes
                          Tamsin (Lost Girl): "I am the Harbinger of Death. I arrive on winds of blessed air. Air that you no longer deserve."
                          Tamsin (Lost Girl): "He has fallen in battle and I must take him to the Einherjar in Valhalla"

Comment

While realistic, this doesn't address the issue of Crossbow upgrades being wasted (in this case, wasted after everyone is done with ancient melee units).

Comment

On the rocket artillery, they still have to "set up" in order to fire, but it takes zero movement points compared to one for the earlier units. It's a minor UI bug, and probably a work around some difficulty deciding between ranged fire and movement with artillery units (but I wonder why archers don't have a problem?)

Comment

The rocket artillery turned out to be something even stranger. In my last game, I built my first rocket arty; all the previous ones were upgrades from regular artillery (and trebuchets before that, and catapults before that). Apparently rocket artillery you build don't have to set up, but upgraded ones still do. And yes, the setup does (at least for me) cost 1 MP to do.
                                Age and treachery will defeat youth and skill every time.

Comment

Working...
                                X