Growing when stagnant?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Growing when stagnant?

I could be hallucinating, but I am almost positive that I've experienced my city growing when stagnant on a number of occasions. I didn't get any social policies, buildings with food, or any such thing, the city just grew on it's own, and it's really frustrating when trying to micro an empire not to grow. Has anyone else experienced this? I will attempt to replicate the situation and send saves if necessary.

Friendship with a maritime city state, perhaps? I don't think I pay enough attention to notice... I'm always clicking those green popups without thinking.
    What's up, hot dog?

Comment

The food from friendly/allied CS is part of the growth scheme, so won't be an extra on top of the stagnant.

What makes more sense is the We Love the X for that city. It adds a food boost for a couple of turns.

If that's also not the case, then I suspect a rounding error. Your growth could be 0.4, rounded down to 0, eg. stagnant.

But, you can always tick the 'don't grow' button in the Pop tab.

Comment

Originally posted by stbabylon View Post
        The food from friendly/allied CS is part of the growth scheme, so won't be an extra on top of the stagnant.
        Well, I was thinking more along the lines of...

Check city X on turn 100, and it shows stagnant.
        Kill some barbarians on turn 101, Milan relationship bumps up to 38, you gain 1 food per turn.
        On turn 109, your friendship with Milan ends and city stops growing.
        Don't check city X again until turn 110, it shows stagnant again and you wonder how it grew.

Things kind of have to fit together pretty well to make that work, but it was the only possibility I could think of. And I agree, We Love the King day makes more sense and requires a lot less coincidence.
        What's up, hot dog?

Comment

It's always We Love the King day now right? Real shame they didn't tie that in with the policies. We Love the Dictator or We Love the Son of God (or we'll be shot) sounds so much better

Comment

There is also some wonder that gives +1 population to all of your cities (may be more for capital, do not remember)
            The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so
            certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts.
            -- Bertrand Russell

Comment

Originally posted by stbabylon View Post
              It's always We Love the King day now right? Real shame they didn't tie that in with the policies. We Love the Dictator or We Love the Son of God (or we'll be shot) sounds so much better
              Indeed, especially when similar feature ("We love the President", etc) was already present in Civ4 and I think also Civ3..
              -- What history has taught us is that people do not learn from history.
              -- Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning.

Comment

Originally posted by MxM View Post
                There is also some wonder that gives +1 population to all of your cities (may be more for capital, do not remember)
                Hanging Gardens...
                RIAA sucks
                The Optimistas
                I'm a political cartoonist

Comment

It might have been WLTKD, I don't know, does that add food that doesn't show up on the screen? It certainly wasn't hanging gardens....don't insult my intelligence :P .

Comment

Working...
                  X