Railroads vs. Roads

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Orange46 View Post
    So, does anyone enjoy the RR worker Conga line. At least thats how it seems to me when there's a line of workers buiding and the music is right.
    I do that deliberately when I decide it is time to connect either by road or rail. I often delay road while doing other worker work. But when I want a road, I set up the workers in a line and have them all working their tile. The idea is to not be paying maintenance on a road tile that isn't yet connecting anything. If I have enough workers, I can connect the two cities and complete the roads all on the same time and there is no wasted maintenance. Or I just reduce the turns of wasted maintenance depending on how well I can coordinate the activity.

But I never thought of it as a conga line. Now I have a phrase for it.
    If you aren't confused,
    You don't understand.

Comment

I wish they would get rid of workers and replace them with worker points. Just like borders are now purchasable, you just spend points or cash to create improvements.
      Either that or some way of tagging tiles with certain tile improvements, so that automated workers just come along and build the suggested improvement.
      Worker management is so tedious late game.

Comment

Like they had in CtP, you mean.

Well, while I liked the CtP model of building tile improvements,
        I have to admit that the concept of having real workers opens up new strategies,
        due to the ability to capture workers (which also might force you to interrupt your current worker projects
        and move them to safety, as soon as an enemy army arrives)
        Tamsin (Lost Girl): "I am the Harbinger of Death. I arrive on winds of blessed air. Air that you no longer deserve."
        Tamsin (Lost Girl): "He has fallen in battle and I must take him to the Einherjar in Valhalla"

Comment

Originally posted by Jaybe View Post
          Also note that (according to my experience, not what we were told) route hexes that are not in your borders you do NOT pay maintenance on. So build them so they don't cost so much, at least until your borders expand.
          ERRATUM: With today's patch, it seems you DO pay for roads outside your borders!
          And here I was, preferring to build my outside-of-borders road tiles first. No More!

Comment

You pay for all roads you have made, inside or outside your own borders. This was pre-patch and is also post-patch.
            Do not fear, for I am with you; Do not anxiously look about you, for I am your God.-Isaiah 41:10
            I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made - Psalms 139.14a
            Also active on WePlayCiv.

Comment

Not if you made them and they're now in someone elses borders.

Comment

If you build one in a CS's border, you don't pay for it either. (just to clarify the above post)
                It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
                RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Originally posted by Nikolai View Post
                  You pay for all roads you have made, inside or outside your own borders. This was pre-patch and is also post-patch.
                  It blows that you can't remove roads outside your borders. You should be able to remove any road you're paying for. Hopefully they'll let you in an upcoming patch.

Comment

This is a n00b question, but it seems to me that when focusing on linking your Captial to your first main city, you should get a railroad in place before a road - is this correct?

Comment

Originally posted by calmac87 View Post
                      This is a n00b question, but it seems to me that when focusing on linking your Captial to your first main city, you should get a railroad in place before a road - is this correct?
                      Yes, that is a n00b query.
                      Connecting a road (or road/harbor) to your capital gives you a trade route, the amount of gold it brings is based on the mutual sizes of your capital & the city (yours, or annexed or puppet). Very important. All a rail (or rail/harbor) does is give the city a 50% production bonus.

What is commonly done is to trace the rail routes on top of the roads so you only pay for the rail (2g/hex).

Comment

If you aren't building roads until you have Railroad, you have an ...interesting... gold economy.

If you are patching up after war damage or some such, consider that at base worker speeds roads take 3 turns while RR take 5. You can get the trade route cash (and the ability to move units faster) more quickly by building a road first, but IIRC building a RR on top of a road is no faster than building one from scratch so overall you are taking longer.

With the fast worker civic or the Pyramids, roundoff makes roads take 2 turns and RRs take 4, so the speed difference is more pronounced.

Comment

So does this mean that if you build a railroad link when there was no pre-existing road link, it counts as a road as well as a railroad, or does it mean that you have to build both?
                          Those who live by the sword...get shot by those who live by the gun.

Comment

Originally posted by Ijuin View Post
                            So does this mean that if you build a railroad link when there was no pre-existing road link, it counts as a road as well as a railroad, or does it mean that you have to build both?
                            Exactly the thing you first assumed, i.e. the link would count as traderoute as well as giving you +50% hammers
                            (on a sidenote...sometimes it might be cheaper to build a harbor instead of a railroad connection, because as soon as the necessary tech for railroads is discovered harbors automatically give +50% hammers, aside from the traderoute)
                            Tamsin (Lost Girl): "I am the Harbinger of Death. I arrive on winds of blessed air. Air that you no longer deserve."
                            Tamsin (Lost Girl): "He has fallen in battle and I must take him to the Einherjar in Valhalla"

Comment

Cheaper yes, but on the other hand railroads also aid transportation of units, so some players will want to have rails joining their cities anyway.
                              Those who live by the sword...get shot by those who live by the gun.

Comment

Working...
                              X