Ranged combat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ranged combat

Is it just me, or does this feel a tad too powerful? 2 Crossbows and a sword have no problem taking down more advanced units like a Rifle... Then again I quite enjoyed blasting away that medieval crap with my Artilleries. Okay, I played only Prince for an easy start

It is powerful - the aim is to get as many ranged combat units as possible to kill anything that comes into range, and a maginot line of other units to stop horsemen etc from slaughtering them all.
    You just wasted six ... no, seven ... seconds of your life reading this sentence.

Comment

Originally posted by ·Imhotep· View Post
      Is it just me, or does this feel a tad too powerful? 2 Crossbows and a sword have no problem taking down more advanced units like a Rifle... Then again I quite enjoyed blasting away that medieval crap with my Artilleries. Okay, I played only Prince for an easy start
      Well, it is just rifleman in RL is ranged unit as well. In fact rifleman much more ranged than crossbows. But for the sake of the game (gameplay >> realism) it is a melee unit. So, consider riflemen as if they could not shoot and only could use rifles for melee attack. Then sure, crossbows would beat them, even without swordsmen.
      The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so
      certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts.
      -- Bertrand Russell

Comment

If the rifles were accompanied by some horse then the xbows wouldn't be a problem, now would they.

Comment

I think the ranged units concept is an improvement. Personally I also liked the flanker units concept of CTP.

But I haven't bought Civ 5 yet. I wait a while till it gets patched and gets better! I am still busy enough with Civ IV.
          Formerly known as campmajor! or Campmajor
          Did not play CIV IV because of performance issues
          New PC arrived about 13th of August, so CIV IV is finally playable for me! :)

Comment

Originally posted by campm@jor View Post
            I think the ranged units concept is an improvement. Personally I also liked the flanker units concept of CTP.

Definitely.

While I personally (if I were to develope a civ type game) would rather go with the CtP concept of warfare, or even implement the master of magic one
            (Having a stacked army on the strategic map and as soon as there is combat, having the game switch to a tactical map, on which you can move your units, until the battle is resolved) the ranged attacks of Civ V are definitely an improvement over the earlier Civ titles from Sid Meier/Firaxis
            Tamsin (Lost Girl): "I am the Harbinger of Death. I arrive on winds of blessed air. Air that you no longer deserve."
            Tamsin (Lost Girl): "He has fallen in battle and I must take him to the Einherjar in Valhalla"

Comment

Working...
            X