Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What was that about the interface being intuitive and nice?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What was that about the interface being intuitive and nice?

This interface is awful. If you disagree you are stupid.

Discuss.
    Last edited by Robert; September 25, 2010, 13:09.
    If there is no sound in space, how come you can hear the lasers?
    ){ :|:& };:

I don't disagree with you, so I guess I'm a genius.

Comment

I agree the UI is very poorly laid out and we've actually had a few discussions about how bad the UI is for MP games. Hopefully they can switch that around with one of the expansion packs so that it becomes more MP friendly.
      Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Complaints:

-Can't get to civilopedia from the main menu
        -Advisors are just as ****ing stupid, take up more of the screen, and the little questions at the bottom lead you around this crazy confusing wiki-walk.
        -THINGS ARE HARD TO SEE. I MEAN REALLY, HOW MORE ****ING OBVIOUS A FLAW CAN YOU GET. IF YOU CAN'T SEE SOMETHING YOU CAN'T CLICK IT.
        -Everything else is basically Civ IV with larger, more obtrusive buttons
        -THERE'S NO ****ING WORLDBUILDER WHAT IS THIS

more to come as i unravel this enigma of game design

Comment

Originally posted by Oerdin View Post
          I agree the UI is very poorly laid out and we've actually had a few discussions about how bad the UI is for MP games. Hopefully they can switch that around with one of the expansion packs so that it becomes more MP friendly.
          so i have to pay money for an interface that actually is what it says it is on the box? thanks.

Comment

Was just about to say, what the **** is that? You didn't get a complete game when you bought it so you're ok with paying more later on? My god, no wonder they put this trash out every few years and everyone buys it. Seriously, Civ5 has all kinds of **** taken out with a new graphics engine. That's the game, not much beyond that.

Comment

After a couple of games I have 0 problems with interface and about a ton of problems with Civilopedia.
              Civilopedia = disgrace.

Comment

I try to avoid the civilopedia for the most part, anyway. Most of the time, when I open it, the game CTD's. Of course, it CTD's anyway, but not nearly so often. Vista is horrible, and even worse with a game that still needs to work out bugs. Also, I don't see why so many people have such a problem with the game. It could use some patching, but is already almost as good as Civ IV (post-BTS), and definitely much better than Civ IV when it was originally released. Once the expansions are released, or possibly even before that, after a few patches, it will most likely be a much better game than Civ IV. You complain about everything that was removed, and ignore what replaced it. Some of the replacements need a bit of fine-tuning, but they are not inherently bad because of their difference from Civ IV. Different is not always worse. In some cases, it may be, but I believe that Civ V's differences from Civ IV improve the game.

Comment

It looks really cool though...

Art Deco

What's this about buttons being big and advisers taking most of the screen, though? The UI is very small compared to most other strategy games. Is the demo different than retail?
                  "Flutie was better than Kelly, Elway, Esiason and Cunningham." - Ben Kenobi
                  "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

Comment

Originally posted by Wyrda Edocsil View Post
                    I try to avoid the civilopedia for the most part, anyway. Most of the time, when I open it, the game CTD's. Of course, it CTD's anyway, but not nearly so often. Vista is horrible, and even worse with a game that still needs to work out bugs. Also, I don't see why so many people have such a problem with the game. It could use some patching, but is already almost as good as Civ IV (post-BTS), and definitely much better than Civ IV when it was originally released. Once the expansions are released, or possibly even before that, after a few patches, it will most likely be a much better game than Civ IV. You complain about everything that was removed, and ignore what replaced it. Some of the replacements need a bit of fine-tuning, but they are not inherently bad because of their difference from Civ IV. Different is not always worse. In some cases, it may be, but I believe that Civ V's differences from Civ IV improve the game.
                    Definitely not vista's fault, I have a vista computer running it and it barely hits the minimum specs in several areas and yet the game is running just fine.

Comment

Some mod is a post editing bastard. Let it be known that the thread title used to be "What was that horse**** about the interface being intuitive and nice?"

Comment

Originally posted by Hauldren Collider View Post
                        Some mod is a post editing bastard. Let it be known that the thread title used to be "What was that horse**** about the interface being intuitive and nice?"

**** is a censored word. Really? This is a family site
                        "Flutie was better than Kelly, Elway, Esiason and Cunningham." - Ben Kenobi
                        "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

Comment

Originally posted by Al B. Sure! View Post
                          **** is a censored word. Really? This is a family site
                          /me is riding the roflcopter

Okay, so maybe this section of the forum is family friendly...but don't take kids to the OTF. Look how I've turned out.

Comment

There are good things in interface though. The information flow is better than in Civ V - much less annoying pop-ups, no chance to leave unit without order and so on. So I would say that the interface is quite good as long as you only talk about "interfaceness"

What is bad is their decision to show less information. The information that they decide to show you can access quickly enough (though some is one click deeper than in Civ IV), but it is just not enough information there. Especially in diplomacy.
                            The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so
                            certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts.
                            -- Bertrand Russell

Comment

Originally posted by MxM View Post
                              What is bad is their decision to show less information. The information that they decide to show you can access quickly enough (though some is one click deeper than in Civ IV), but it is just not enough information there. Especially in diplomacy.
                              I agree completely. My favorite part of the game sometimes is to dig deep into the information, to see how I'm doing compared to other civs, what they are doing amongst each other. Just lots of statistics is nice, and it could be hidden away for the geekier players. I haven't found anything satisfying for this yet.
                              Resident Filipina Lady Boy Expert.

Comment

Working...
                              X