OCC in Civ V

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OCC in Civ V

At some point I want to try one city challenge but before that I want to discuss possible strategies before I actually start one.

But first of all I would like to mention that because there is a conquest victory for OCC in Steam achievements, that means that you can have puppet states and still to be considered a single city. THIS IS HUGE! (I am not sure that I agree with this.

So I am thinking about Civs and strategies that can have a shot

1) Greeks - domination victory. Due to their reliance on city states, I think they have the best chance to have domination victory. Just befriend military states. I think this is much better than normal game warmonger - Japan.

2) France - cultural victory. With only single city the civics will flow.

I do not see any other serious contenders. For Science victory I would chose Babylonia, but it is hard to build the spaceship in single city and realistically be ahead of all other civs. Also it is not clear if India's special ability will help, because I suspect single city may be too easy to maintain. But may be I am wrong and India and Babylon should be science victory contenders.

What do you think?
    The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so
    certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts.
    -- Bertrand Russell

I don't have a terribly good handle yet on everyone's unique powers, but I was thinking about this earlier actually. Russia might be an option to consider as well for a domination victory. With resources being limited, a typical OCC would be in trouble in military matters. But doubling your reserves of horse and iron would allow Russia to compete with other civs in army size.

I don't really remember what the other unique powers are. Honestly, most of them looked pretty weak to me for whatever type of game I wanted to play...
    Captain of Team Apolyton - ISDG 2012

When I was younger I thought curfews were silly, but now as the daughter of a young woman, I appreciate them. - Rah

Comment

I played on Warlord with Egypt and did pretty well going after key wonders in my quest for a cultural victory. Not sure if it would work on higher difficulties though.
      John Brown did nothing wrong.

Comment

Domination using the Greeks is the way I'd go. Especially since the AI isn't that good at attack and defense so all you'd really need is about 6-7 upgraded units and if the CS allies want to help out then great but if they don't then you can still handle it yourself.
        Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

OCC is an appealing gameplay I would like to try.

In an OCC, does everyone have a single city? (Im talking SP)

Next, one city, would gold be an issue unless maybe using Askia of Songhai?
          Hi, I'm RAH and I'm a Benaholic.-rah

Comment

I played an OCC as India on Prince and it was rather easy. I was just messing around without any long term focus, yet I still stayed at least one era ahead of everyone else. At the time I knew nothing of city states, so I completely ignored them, as well as the other AIs. Now that I've just finished reading rah's CS article, I must say that OCC games are going to be way too easy.

I used India due to its trait. The additional unhappiness due to cities doesn't matter since I was playing OCC, but dropping unhappiness by half was a huge benefit. When I adopted the policy that treated all extra happiness as culture (every two extra happiness equaled one culture, I had 15 extra at the time), my culture really shot up quickly.

As I already stated, even playing haphazardly and ignoring CSs, I still easily stayed ahead of everyone in research.
            Civ4 CFC Hall of Fame: Forums, Rules, FAQ, Tables, Email: hof.civfanatics@gmail.com

Comment

Gold was a big limiting factor for me actually. Without trade routes to bump up the cash flow, your army is pretty limited in size.

Comment

Originally posted by Felch View Post
                Gold was a big limiting factor for me actually. Without trade routes to bump up the cash flow, your army is pretty limited in size.
                My problem was maintenance. I forgot it existed in Civ V and I got to the point I just started building all the buildings for the heck of it. Whoops! I learned that lesson quickly. I didn't have much of an army. I had a mountain range to my east and ocean to the south, so the only open areas were the west and some north and a one tile passage where the mountains met the ocean. I had two swordsmen and a spear and that was it.

Oddly, the area around me never was settled, so I was beginning to wonder if the AI was also OCC. I doubt it, but for some reason the AIs weren't expanding around me.
                Civ4 CFC Hall of Fame: Forums, Rules, FAQ, Tables, Email: hof.civfanatics@gmail.com

Comment

Originally posted by Grandpa Troll View Post
                  OCC is an appealing gameplay I would like to try.

In an OCC, does everyone have a single city? (Im talking SP)

Next, one city, would gold be an issue unless maybe using Askia of Songhai?
                  In the OCC setting in SP, I believe only the player is limited to one city, the AI civs can build more. Not sure on that, though.
                  Tutto nel mondo è burla

Comment

Only the player. AIs can build as many as they want.

Comment

As I understand you do not even have to setup the game specially. OCC means do not build settlers and do not conquer/convert cities (though puppet states are allowed in Civ V). You just follow these rules yourself and STEAM will notice it and will give you an achievement.
                      The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so
                      certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts.
                      -- Bertrand Russell

Comment

Working...
                      X