No announcement yet.

This Game Sucks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ok, so you are currently writing books that no one will read besides other useless academics like you, but aren't even finished yet, and you're actually trying to use it to improve your standing? LOL Oh god it's just too funny. That just brings a smile to my face and reminds me of all the idiotic instructors I had in college. My favorite thing to do was bully them into admitting that their course was useless and then hearing their excuses on why they couldn't run the course the way they really wanted to. Academics, the jesters of the 21st century.

Comment

• Originally posted by Oerdin View Post
      Is it just me or do city states seem like a complete waste of money? Sure it is nice to get one or two weak units but for 500 gold it just seems a waste. The equation is even worse for the non-military city states because your 250 or 500 gold could have been spent rushing a science or culture producing building which then permanently improves your output while city states are only your friend or ally for a very short period of time.

I'm also continue to be completely amazed at how retarded and infective the automate explore AI is. I can literally watch the stupid scouts run around in circles constantly trespassing (and thus ruining relations) even though there are tons of unexplored tiles left yet for some odd reason it doesn't walk towards the unexplored tiles and instead just seems magnetically drawn to trespass yet again in a tile it was just at.
      City States are actually the corner stone of my strategy. If you put effort into it, they will remain your allies for quite some time, requiring only minor upkeep... And the benefits are excellent, particularly if you go for the right social policies (example: Luxuries received from City States doubled, and happiness from said luxuries increased? Awesome.)

Originally posted by Ming View Post
      YAWN.... Get a new act Eyes. While you do have some valuable insights, they just get lost in the diarrhea spewing from your lips.

Maybe people might actually listen to you if you weren't such an ass
      See, I've tried saying that.

Originally posted by Badbonez View Post
      The title of this thread sucks. No imagination, nothing new. Same old title used a thousand times before. All that time to come up with a really new, interesting and challenging title and what do we get? "This game sucks." Didn't even use 'sux' or 'is teh sux'

I'm going back to the Civ2 thread, "this game sucks" it was a better MP experience.

Originally posted by DriXnaK View Post
      You should try not failing at reading comprehension so much. They don't listen to their beta testers, and they don't listen to anyone else for that matter. Also, why the **** would I make a mod and program all kinds of **** and do so much work for a ****ing game that I paid for? Are you a ****ing Euro commie or what? Only a Euro commie or a rabid fanboy could ever seriously put that argument forward. Like I said, if I'm going to play a game I'll stick to a company much larger and more successful like Blizzard that doesn't put out Beta v2 as their finished product and think that MP isn't a necessary feature.
      Or possibly people mod because they enjoy doing it? Again, I don't play civ4. Yet I run one of the larger mods for it. I use the platform the game provides in order to make my own game... And in fact, am going to school for just that.

Originally posted by DriXnaK View Post
      Ok, so you are currently writing books that no one will read besides other useless academics like you, but aren't even finished yet, and you're actually trying to use it to improve your standing? LOL Oh god it's just too funny. That just brings a smile to my face and reminds me of all the idiotic instructors I had in college. My favorite thing to do was bully them into admitting that their course was useless and then hearing their excuses on why they couldn't run the course the way they really wanted to. Academics, the jesters of the 21st century.
      Feel free to go live that caveman lifestyle you'd have without academics.
      Rise from Erebus - R i f E
      http://forums.civfanatics.com/forumdisplay.php?f=360
      Member of the R i f E team

Comment

• There's a difference between scientists and academics.

Comment

• Tamsin (Lost Girl): "I am the Harbinger of Death. I arrive on winds of blessed air. Air that you no longer deserve."
          Tamsin (Lost Girl): "He has fallen in battle and I must take him to the Einherjar in Valhalla"

Comment

• Originally posted by DriXnaK View Post
            There's a difference between scientists and academics.
            Ah, but how are you so sure he is an academic and not a scientist?
            Rise from Erebus - R i f E
            http://forums.civfanatics.com/forumdisplay.php?f=360
            Member of the R i f E team

Comment

• Comment

As for you Rah, why is it that companies like Blizzard and so many others make their games mostly based around MP and those games are hugely popular and successful? Face it, it's not about making the game better or putting out something decent. MP costs money, and it requires that you actually build a game with things like game balance and new features. That's not the Firaxis busines model. So much easier to keep milking your fan base
                Do you know how much money was spent to develop each game. No I thought not. CIV main base has been traditionally SP. SP play far outweighs MP play. Granted if earlier there had been more effort into MP then maybe the numbers wouldn't be so different. But it is. You can't piss off your SP base. FOR CIV, SP IS THE BASE. $$$$
                As to your claim that there's nothing new, well in MP you guys turn everything off so what the heck do you care. Why you say we're not REAL competitors, it just means we actually use some of those features. I personally think having to respond to a few random factors increases the skill level necessary. YEs I know you dissagree and can add your regular insult here. CIV V, if nothing else is quite different than CIV IV. If we want to play IV, we still can, it hasn't gone anywhere. But if we want something different, we have something too. Similar to all the previoius versions, MP gets a lot of attention once the game is released. Hopefully it will evolve into something that will keep our interest once SP gets old. I never play IV sp anymore but still play IV MP.
                It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
                RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

• Originally posted by rah View Post
                  Do you know how much money was spent to develop each game.
                  I counted roughly 190 people that were part of the development in the manual. Let's say there were 300 give or take, including people that were not credited. They worked on it for three years full time on average 30k per year. That makes 9 million dollars so far. Add in some unexpected costs, hardware, licenses, etc. I guess we could ballparkfigure the total sum at 20 million dollars.

Based on the steam statistics, there were 40k people playing the game at the peak. Let's estimate that to be one third of the people who purchased the game so far. So, 120 thousand people purchased the game @ say 50 dollars. That's 6 million dollars.

Subtract some money going to licensees (distribution, 2k support) at around 5%. And I'm sure good old Sid has himself factored in beyond his business interest, which he'd have to pay corporate taxes on. I mean, somebody's gotta pay for that beach house on long island, right?

Long story short, they made $5M in the first few days. I'm sure they'll sell another 300 thousand copies of the game of the vanilla version. That's $15M minus whatever. Factor in the DLC's (which we all know most of us will sucker for) and the 'expansion' packs, 'goty', 'complete' versions. Two years from now, they'll have pocketed around $40M, and made at least $20M.

Not bad for a board-game ripoff

Comment

• Which on the other hand is cheap compared to the 100 Million $ Budget that was claimed for Starcraft 2
                    (doesn´t make Starcraft 2 a better games than Civ V however )
                    Tamsin (Lost Girl): "I am the Harbinger of Death. I arrive on winds of blessed air. Air that you no longer deserve."
                    Tamsin (Lost Girl): "He has fallen in battle and I must take him to the Einherjar in Valhalla"

Comment

• @Yin - Ok, so a good beta tester has to walk a line between honesty and not giving away too much publically. Fine. But if the final words from the Beta testers were anything other from "THIS GAME IS TOTALLY BROKEN, DO NOT RELEASE IT UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES IN PRESENT FORM" than I think Krill's criticism is pretty valid.

Comment

First, I quit the game because it had few options for getting ahead. In our first game Ozzy I beat the **** out of you in every way possible, but in Civ4 that doesn't mean much. I even asked you after the game, "What makes you think you deserved to win that game?" Your answer was, "I didn't give up and in this game that means something." What Ozzy isn't telling you guys is that the way he won was by taking advantage of the poor scoring system. He built like 10 brand new cities in the last 10 turns of the game. They even patched out that ability so you couldn't build cities in the last 20 turns of the game for that very reason. He won by taking advantage of one of the many many flaws in the game that had absolutely nothing to do with skill. The scoring system in Civ4 is absolutely atrocious. Also, I don't know how you can say a game takes skill when it makes it easier for the guy that's behind. Civ4 in case you weren't aware actually makes techs cheaper for the guy behind and more expensive for the guy ahead.

That being said, the game is laughably simple. I played Civ4 again about a year ago and made it to number 11 in a short time with maybe only 1 or 2 losses. Funny how once people started using mirrored maps and removed much of the issues from the game you stopped playing Ozzy. In fact, I'm so confident I'd kick your ass right now Ozzy that we can play 1v1 anytime you want. Fact is that you got lucky by taking advantage of a huge flaw in the game. Nice job.

Oh, and how's that little cause of yours that no one cares about going for you? Talk about wasting your life.

I love how he remembers every detail from the game. Obviously this was a pivotal moment in young EON's development (or decent to madness), he still is raging about every detail from a 5 year old game. hahaha. I'm happy to pour some salt on his deep, deep emotional wounds every few years when a new Civ comes out. Just doing my part.
                        Captain of Team Apolyton - ISDG 2012

When I was younger I thought curfews were silly, but now as the daughter of a young woman, I appreciate them. - Rah

Comment

• Actually, I remember pretty much everything I do. I even remember what maps looked like in Civ2 in games I played. Remembering a game against you from less than 4 years ago is very simple. In AOC I even remembered specific maps I had played on because it was a seed system with about 12000 maps so after a while you started to see maps you had already played on. You never answered my question, how is that cause of yours that nobody cares about? Last I checked the voting age is still 18.

Comment

• Originally posted by OzzyKP View Post

I love how he remembers every detail from the game. Obviously this was a pivotal moment in young EON's development (or decent to madness), he still is raging about every detail from a 5 year old game. hahaha. I'm happy to pour some salt on his deep, deep emotional wounds every few years when a new Civ comes out. Just doing my part.
                            Narcissism has an inexhaustible memory when it comes to protecting itself.
                            "I hope I get to punch you in the face one day" - MRT144, Imran Siddiqui
                            'I'm fairly certain that a ban on me punching you in the face is not a "right" worth respecting." - loinburger

Comment

• My memory is put to good use far beyond computer games. Believe it or not but I have only really played two games seriously in the past 14 years; Civilization 2 and AOC. The games I played along the way like AOE3 and Civ4 lasted a month at most. In the case of Civ4 I had a couple stints over the next couple of years not lasting very long as I always grew bored quickly and realized there were still no options. In fact, Civ4 and AOE 3 are the only games I really played beyond my main two games. This may come as a surprise to you but I find most computer games to be boring, simple, and pointless. I also haven't owned a console since Sega Saturn in the early 90s.

Comment

• I am a bit depressed after reading this thread. According to DriXnaK, I am a simpleton and/or a mental defect because I do not play multiplayer games and instead have been wasting away my years in delusion enjoying single player modes on my games. Excuse me while I go rethink my life....
                                "Slander, lies, character assassination--these things are a threat to every single citizen everywhere in this country. And when even one American--who has done nothing wrong--is forced by fear to shut his mind and close his mouth, then all Americans are in peril" - Harry S. Truman, Address at the Dedication of the New Washington Headquarters of the American Legion, August 14, 1951

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." - Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

Comment

Working...
                                X