Civ V Walkthrough

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Samuel Johnson View Post
    I'm still learning the screens - the diplomacy screens I have found the most confusing (although I love the animations) how did you figure Persia feared you? Did you ever figure out how to see other traits, etc.
    Yeah the UI quite different. Takes a while to get used to it, but I like it. It's very efficient.

Strangely enough, I found Darius' attitude towards me on the diplomacy overview screen on the upper right corner, far-right button. Under "status" it said afraid. But now I've met a few more civilizations and I can't find any of their attitudes anywhere. But it's been established that diplomacy has some issues and needs a good patch, so I suspect that's the problem.

And the manual was disappointingly vague on the subject of diplomacy, so I guess we're just supposed to figure it out ourselves.

Comment

Originally posted by Samuel Johnson View Post
      Civ V seems more like a "story" based game like CIV 3 was where you can sort of immerse yourself in the game. CIV IV didn't have a great interface and seemed more like an RTS.
      Interestingly, the amount of stories in the games' respective stories fora would back up this statement.
      -->Visit CGN!
      -->"Production! More Production! Production creates Wealth! Production creates more Jobs!"-Wendell Willkie -1944

Comment

Well, this story has come to a most surprising end indeed, for I have been defeated! Due to my poor starting location, I was forced to settle abroad. Sadly, a native civilization happened upon me and greedily fell upon my colonies. I shall provide details on this final chapter shortly.

Comment

Ya. Here's what happened in a nutshell:

I managed to squeeze two cities into Alaska. To the north was ice and mountains, to the east was ice, mountains, and Sidon, and to the south was California which is composed of hills and mountains, followed by desert and then by Persia.

In other words, no decent land available in North America.

So it finally occurred to me to cross the Bering Strait! So I went to Russia and found more ice. Finally, I rounded the Kamchatka peninsula and settled in China in what appeared to be unsettled territory.

A few turns later, I met Julius Caesar. A few turns after that, he warned me that I better not build any more cities near him. After that, he settles next to me and declares war. I beat back his army and we make peace. I managed to build one more city over there before he simply declared war, flooded more units into me, and took it all.

So, the moral of the story is that Alaska is a really dumb starting location to put on the Earth map. I mean, it's not like the Inuits ever managed to make an empire out of it. How should I? If I had thought of the Bering Strait earlier, I might have pulled it off, but I doubt it. With native civs already starting in the good areas, my dinky little empire split over two hemispheres couldn't have done much.

The only other possibility was that Australia might be empty, but I doubt it as I still hadn't met a few civs after sailing all over Europe, Asia, and Africa.
          Last edited by Ariovistus Maximus; September 25, 2010, 01:42.

Comment

Ah, Alaska. I think you would have done well if you could have re-settled in China. your map sounds quite densely populated with tribes though, so c'est le' vie.
            -->Visit CGN!
            -->"Production! More Production! Production creates Wealth! Production creates more Jobs!"-Wendell Willkie -1944

Comment

Thanks for the overview of the game. That was very insightful. I am curious about one thing, though. Once you knew that Julius Caesar would defeat you, did you quit the game before it was over, thereby awarding you the "Leadership Traits of Sarah Palin"? ;-)

Comment

Ah, Alaska. I think you would have done well if you could have re-settled in China. your map sounds quite densely populated with tribes though, so c'est le' vie.
                Possibly, but I'd have had to do it much, much sooner. By the time I discovered the possibility it was too late; Caesar must have spawned in NW China.

Thanks for the overview of the game. That was very insightful. I am curious about one thing, though. Once you knew that Julius Caesar would defeat you, did you quit the game before it was over, thereby awarding you the "Leadership Traits of Sarah Palin"? ;-)
                Once my two colony cities were captured, and I had only my two cities in Alaska, where everyone else had about 10-12 cities, I wasn't about to waste more time with it, especially since turn wait times on a full huge map get pretty long.

So yes I quit to start another game.

Comment

Working...
                X