Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Should Civilization V have a different name?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Should Civilization V have a different name?

like long awaited Call to Power III.

Socrates: "Good is That at which all things aim, If one knows what the good is, one will always do what is good." Brian: "Romanes eunt domus"
    GW 2013: "and juistin bieber is gay with me and we have 10 kids we live in u.s.a in the white house with obama"

Why do you say that?
    APOSTOLNIK BEANIE BERET BICORNE BIRETTA BOATER BONNET BOWLER CAP CAPOTAIN CHADOR COIF CORONET CROWN DO-RAG FEDORA FEZ GALERO HAIRNET HAT HEADSCARF HELMET HENNIN HIJAB HOOD KABUTO KERCHIEF KOLPIK KUFI MITRE MORTARBOARD PERUKE PICKELHAUBE SKULLCAP SOMBRERO SHTREIMEL STAHLHELM STETSON TIARA TOQUE TOUPEE TRICORN TRILBY TURBAN VISOR WIG YARMULKE ZUCCHETTO

Comment

Yes, clearly Firaxis is worried about the game becoming too popular and having to ship too many copies of the game. Naming it Call to Power III is a great solution.
      Captain of Team Apolyton - ISDG 2012

When I was younger I thought curfews were silly, but now as the daughter of a young woman, I appreciate them. - Rah

Comment

Activision would sue them, but on the other hand, they can solve that by calling it even
        Formerly known as "CyberShy"
        Carpe Diem tamen Memento Mori

Comment

No
          The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so
          certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts.
          -- Bertrand Russell

Comment

Yes, I think it should be Civilization 5.

Comment

Name change is definitely in order, to Civilisation V, the correct spelling.

Comment

we have walking robots
                Socrates: "Good is That at which all things aim, If one knows what the good is, one will always do what is good." Brian: "Romanes eunt domus"
                GW 2013: "and juistin bieber is gay with me and we have 10 kids we live in u.s.a in the white house with obama"

Comment

Originally posted by Dale View Post
                  Name change is definitely in order, to Civilisation V, the correct spelling.
                  Do you pronounce "civ-ull-uh-zay-shun" with an S sound where I put zay? I know the English language isn't always the most intuitive, but I'm gonna stick to my American spelling since it honestly makes more sense.

However, I do like using the digit over the Roman numeral. CivIV always looked weird to me, or even the too-clever-for-its-own-good CIV. Civ5 is much easier to recognize at a glance, particularly for someone who -- as is evident from my post count -- does not come here routinely.

Comment

Yeah, I was always quite amused by those that thought they were clever and using Civ, CiV, and CIV
                    It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
                    RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

The should at least make it C IV...

I agree, this new installment to Civ legacy should be Civ5. It is easier and looks nicer.
                      Formerly known as campmajor! or Campmajor
                      Did not play CIV IV because of performance issues
                      New PC arrived about 13th of August, so CIV IV is finally playable for me! :)

Comment

I think Civ 2 mostly referred to itself as Civ2, so the first to start the numerals-heavy trend was 3.
                        Indifference is Bliss

Comment

And since Civ3 sucked in so many ways, one can safely assume a trend it started is probably crap.
                          Tutto nel mondo è burla

Comment

Originally posted by rah View Post
                            Yeah, I was always quite amused by those that thought they were clever and using Civ, CiV, and CIV
                            Given your profession, you must understand the importance of repetition when trying to influence the masses. The correct usage is Ci V.
                            Last edited by SpencerH; August 26, 2010, 12:52. Reason: None of your damn business
                            We need seperate human-only games for MP/PBEM that dont include the over-simplifications required to have a good AI
                            If any man be thirsty, let him come unto me and drink. Vampire 7:37
                            Just one old soldiers opinion. E Tenebris Lux. Pax quaeritur bello.

Comment

Originally posted by Azuarc View Post
                              Do you pronounce "civ-ull-uh-zay-shun" with an S sound where I put zay? I know the English language isn't always the most intuitive, but I'm gonna stick to my American spelling since it honestly makes more sense.

However, I do like using the digit over the Roman numeral. CivIV always looked weird to me, or even the too-clever-for-its-own-good CIV. Civ5 is much easier to recognize at a glance, particularly for someone who -- as is evident from my post count -- does not come here routinely.
                              A single s is often pronounced soft in many words (plasma, basil), and almost invariably in pluralisation and possessive (apples, chairs). So don't be surprised that a single s is pronounced soft in a word like civilisation.
                              Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

Working...
                              X