Starting Ages-Ending Ages inquiry 8-7-2010

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Starting Ages-Ending Ages inquiry 8-7-2010

One of my favorite features from Call To Power was being able to say start and finish in Modern Age, just to spice things up.

I was wondering if anypne heard/knew/was aware if this would be possible?

I believe BTS could start at a later age but dont believe you could hold the end age to a certain period, which is what I would like.

Thanks

Grandpa Troll
    Hi, I'm RAH and I'm a Benaholic.-rah

Well, I dont think it would make sense, since civ usually doesn't have future tech or units. In Ctp you really had a future, with appropiate tech and units.

I dont think it will be in, in Civ V.
    Formerly known as campmajor! or Campmajor
    Did not play CIV IV because of performance issues
    New PC arrived about 13th of August, so CIV IV is finally playable for me! :)

Comment

Originally posted by campm@jor View Post
      Well, I dont think it would make sense, since civ usually doesn't have future tech or units. In Ctp you really had a future, with appropiate tech and units.

I dont think it will be in, in Civ V.
      It makes plenty of sense, perhaps not to you, (Im not attacking your stance my friend), just sharing why I feel it makes sense.

If you say wanted a fight only with Cannon, musketmen and Calvary and say something akin to the S.O.L., and have a game in just that era.

Something similiar to a scenario but where you could easily limit ages, I mean you can start at what age you want now, if they just added another option it doesnt 'appear" it should be that hard?

Please dont take my rebuttal as offensive, Im just a cranky old fart...

Grandpa Troll

Comment

I've seen this ability in other games (it's pretty standard for 'age-based' RTS's like the Age of Empires and Empire Earth series). Civ, as far as I know, is still age-based. I suppose it makes a little less sense for a game like Civ because what? Each civ is going to start with one city but let's say 1800-level technology? It's a little strange.

However, it's something that appears to be simple and they mightaswell give you that option. Maybe it causes problems with AI's and build orders?
        "Flutie was better than Kelly, Elway, Esiason and Cunningham." - Ben Kenobi
        "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

Comment

Originally posted by Al B. Sure! View Post
          I've seen this ability in other games (it's pretty standard for 'age-based' RTS's like the Age of Empires and Empire Earth series). Civ, as far as I know, is still age-based. I suppose it makes a little less sense for a game like Civ because what? Each civ is going to start with one city but let's say 1800-level technology? It's a little strange.

However, it's something that appears to be simple and they mightaswell give you that option. Maybe it causes problems with AI's and build orders?
          Yeah, because afterall it is just a game.

What I like about it is being able to say reenact battles within a certain criteria of searched technologies....

Grandpa Troll

Comment

I agree with GT. I would be nice to skip the early expansion part of civ games and jump right into the 18th or 19th century. I'm sure there will be plenty of scenarios that will allow us to do just that. There was also the advanced start option in Civ 4. Never tried it. Not sure if it works well.
            Let us be lazy in everything, except in loving and drinking, except in being lazy – Lessing

Comment

Originally posted by Grandpa Troll View Post
              It makes plenty of sense, perhaps not to you, (Im not attacking your stance my friend), just sharing why I feel it makes sense.

If you say wanted a fight only with Cannon, musketmen and Calvary and say something akin to the S.O.L., and have a game in just that era.

Something similiar to a scenario but where you could easily limit ages, I mean you can start at what age you want now, if they just added another option it doesnt 'appear" it should be that hard?

Please dont take my rebuttal as offensive, Im just a cranky old fart...

Grandpa Troll

Hey, just not my preference, but if YOU like it, its fine by me!

But I dont think it is probable that it will be in. But it will surely be moddable. And since you say you want it to replay certain battles, I would say: create a scenario! That is what they are for!
              Formerly known as campmajor! or Campmajor
              Did not play CIV IV because of performance issues
              New PC arrived about 13th of August, so CIV IV is finally playable for me! :)

Comment

Originally posted by campm@jor View Post
                Hey, just not my preference, but if YOU like it, its fine by me!

But I dont think it is probable that it will be in. But it will surely be moddable. And since you say you want it to replay certain battles, I would say: create a scenario! That is what they are for!
                Yeah, thats one thing I have done since CIV II, do mini scenario's, I piece together some information here and there and start working on them

We have a great community, the overall Civilization community, most are very helpful

We got what 6 weeks now before CIV V?....gonna be fun!

Looking forward to yet more interactions with you my friend

Grandpa Troll

Comment

Working...
                X