Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

ExtremeTech review (new screenshots plus system requirements)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ExtremeTech review (new screenshots plus system requirements)

Lots of new screen shots never before seen plus information about system requirements and how the game runs on given system builds. It's looking like Civ5 is going to be the resource hog of all resource hogs.

ExtremeTech is the Web's top destination for news and analysis of emerging science and technology trends, and important software, hardware, and gadgets.
    Last edited by Dinner; August 5, 2010, 12:20.
    Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Oerdin, what's up with you? You've suddenly become very motivated to support Apolyton with regards to Civ5.

As for the requirements, I've been puzzled by stuff like this:
    2.4-GHz Quad-Core CPU
    My laptop (which is currently in RMA), has an i7 core processor but it's 1.60GHz. I can't imagine it not being able to play a game like Civ5 though. What gives?
    "Flutie was better than Kelly, Elway, Esiason and Cunningham." - Ben Kenobi
    "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

Comment

Well don't worry, I'm screwed on requirements and am not willing to get a new computer, so it won't be happening for a while...
      Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

Ok, it requires a quad core? Wtf?

I might upgrade my processor anyway but seriously, that's excessive.
        If there is no sound in space, how come you can hear the lasers?
        ){ :|:& };:

Comment

I'll wait to see, based on the demo, but if this summary is accurate, then...well...

This is a much leaner, easier-to-learn Civilization that paints in broad strokes rather than fine details. There's nothing wrong with that, of course, but it offers a very different experience than did the dizzyingly intricate Civilization IV, which made a concerted effort to balance military, governmental, and spiritual concerns within its game-play framework. Civilization V's more visceral feel and design make it play more like a wargame than a wide-ranging socio-political simulator.

Comment

Well, it's a good thing I've been saving up, because it looks like I'll need to get a new computer just to play this thing.
            Known in most other places as Anon Zytose.
            +3 Research, +2 Efficiency, -1 Growth, -2 Industry, -2 Support.
            http://anonzytose.deviantart.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Al B. Sure! View Post
              Oerdin, what's up with you? You've suddenly become very motivated to support Apolyton with regards to Civ5.
              Just trying to build up the website a little. BTW I'm hoping they do some more optimizing of Civ5 and the system requirements come down a bit because they seem quite high right now.
              Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Originally posted by Hauldren Collider View Post
                Ok, it requires a quad core? Wtf?

I might upgrade my processor anyway but seriously, that's excessive.
                I can't believe my eyes. Hell, Starcraft II a REAL time strategy game has only DUAL core in recommended specs. And turn based game has recommendation for 4? W.T.F!!?
                The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so
                certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts.
                -- Bertrand Russell

Comment

It does seem an immense requirement. I was looking at some PCs and it doesn't just like a case of buying a PC, but actually quite an expensive PC at that, which seems a bit amazing, especially for a turn-based strategy...
                  Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

If Civilization V is, in many ways, as fun and addictive as previous games in the series, those qualities have not come without a significant cost. This is a much leaner, easier-to-learn Civilization that paints in broad strokes rather than fine details. There's nothing wrong with that, of course, but it offers a very different experience than did the dizzyingly intricate Civilization IV, which made a concerted effort to balance military, governmental, and spiritual concerns within its game-play framework. Civilization V's more visceral feel and design make it play more like a wargame than a wide-ranging socio-political simulator. Let's face it: That's not going to appeal to everyone.
                    Hmmph.
                    Tutto nel mondo è burla

Comment

The cost is looking in excess of £500...on a new system!
                      Speaking of Erith:

Comment

500 pounds on a gaming computer doesn't seem like that much. What's the exchange rate of that to dollars again?

Comment

That's only like $800. I don't think PH was being accurate

Anyway, the system requirements were bogus. There's a new thread posted by Guy that clears things up.
                          "Flutie was better than Kelly, Elway, Esiason and Cunningham." - Ben Kenobi
                          "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

Comment

I'm not optimistic about these new changes.

They will most likely get it right in Civ VI.

Comment

It's like star trek, the odd ones suck. Or was that the even ones? Damn I can't remember.

Comment

Working...
                              X