No announcement yet.

Giant. Death. Robot.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I would make the same response if someone told me that my wife had turned into a Giant. Death. Robot.
    Formerly known as "CyberShy"
    Carpe Diem tamen Memento Mori

Comment

Originally posted by SpencerH View Post
      IIRC, there was a civ3 scenario with GDR and other futuristic variants that I played once "just to see". It was a waste of time IMO.

As for walkers themselves, they are "practical" in very tough terrain where tracked and wheeled vehicles cannot go (personally I think mules or donkeys are a better choice). Last time I paid attention though there was a substantial amount of development of walking vehicles funded by DARPA.

Were those walkers four or two legged? Two legged walkers are not good for tough terrain, such as uphill or downhill terrain, because they're liable to tip over. They also can't handle muddy or sandy conditions because the weight is distributed in two small areas (the feat) rather than across tracks like a tank.

4-legged walkers are a bit better hence why this thing exists:
      "Flutie was better than Kelly, Elway, Esiason and Cunningham." - Ben Kenobi
      "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

Comment

I am a 2 legged walker and I do very well in rough terrain!
        Jon Miller: MikeH speaks the truth
        Jon Miller: MikeH is a shockingly revolting dolt and a masturbatory urine-reeking sideshow freak whose word is as valuable as an aging cow paddy.
        We've got both kinds

Comment

Originally posted by MikeH View Post
          I am a 2 legged walker and I do very well in rough terrain!
          Are you encapsulated in thick battle armor, with gatling gun machine guns for arms, computers to control things, a hydraulic system, and a giant engine to move your multiple ton frame?
          "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

Comment

Yes.
            Jon Miller: MikeH is a shockingly revolting dolt and a masturbatory urine-reeking sideshow freak whose word is as valuable as an aging cow paddy.
            We've got both kinds

Comment

Just because the technology isn't good enough NOW doesn't mean it won't be in the near future.

Scout Walkers. - FACT!
              We've got both kinds

Comment

Originally posted by MikeH View Post
                Why do so many Civ players have so little sense of humour?
                own goal. because they post here.
                I wasn't born with enough middle fingers.
                [Brandon Roderick? You mean Brock's Toadie?][Hanged from Yggdrasil]

Comment

It's coming for us!

It is in Wasilla, Alaska... yes, that Wasilla where Sarah Palin is from. It was invented by probably the only Black guy in all of Alaska, some former Air Force guy

Comment

They had mech robots in CTP2 as part of the future techs if I remember correctly.
                    Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Originally posted by Al B. Sure! View Post

Were those walkers four or two legged? Two legged walkers are not good for tough terrain, such as uphill or downhill terrain, because they're liable to tip over. They also can't handle muddy or sandy conditions because the weight is distributed in two small areas (the feat) rather than across tracks like a tank.
                      Six legs!

A very quick google search pulled up this logging machine.

We need seperate human-only games for MP/PBEM that dont include the over-simplifications required to have a good AI
                      If any man be thirsty, let him come unto me and drink. Vampire 7:37
                      Just one old soldiers opinion. E Tenebris Lux. Pax quaeritur bello.

Comment

four or six legged mechs are more feasible than two legged. The bipedal ones are a joke.

Comment

I agree. Once you have the right technologies you should be able to build arachnotrons and spider masterminds
                          Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

There is so much anger and bitterness on these forums. Are you sure you guys are fans of the Civ franchise, or are you just fans of nostalgia and everything being better in the past?
                            - Dregor

Comment

Better in the past

Comment

Originally posted by dregor View Post
                                There is so much anger and bitterness on these forums. Are you sure you guys are fans of the Civ franchise, or are you just fans of nostalgia and everything being better in the past?
                                I'm looking forward to Civ4 (I never got around to getting a decent computer; I'm still running a dinosaur that was weak by the standards of 2005, when I got it). I'll always have a certain nostalgic fondness for 2, I'm sure, but 4 is by all accounts an awesome game.

This thing, however, appears to be well on its way to taking the "crappiest in the series" title from 3. 3 was full of generally good ideas, like strategic resources and civilization traits, implemented in a piss-poor manner. But here, almost every change they've announced has been either an inane gimmick or some random, gratuitous novelty.

And they've admitted they went for a more conventional war-game approach (see the ExtremeTech thread), which makes suspicion of V to be, if anything, more supportive of the Civ franchise, or at least of what makes it uniquely good. You want a "streamlined approach," go play CivRev with AAHZ. Civ is for big boys who want to build empires.
                                1011 1100
                                Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

Comment

Working...
                                X