The Civs in Civ5.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Civs in Civ5.

OK, so I noticed that each civ will now get just one civ trait instead of the two they got in Civ4. Also instead of getting one unique unit and one unique building there will be combinations so that some civs get two unique units but no unique building. That seems odd but I'll give it a chance. Here's the data from the Civ5 website.

America
    Leader: George Washington
    Special Ability: Manifest Destiny
    Special Unit: B17
    Special Unit: Minutemen

Arabia
    Leader: Harun al-Rashid
    Special Ability: Trade Caravans (trade caravans are back?)
    Special Unit: Camel Archers
    Special Building: Bazaar

Aztec
    Leader: Montezuma
    Special Ability: Sacrificial Captives
    Special Unit: Jaguar
    Special Building: Floating Gardens

China
    Leader: Wu Zetian
    Special Ability: Art of War
    Special Unit: Cho-Ko-Nue
    Special Building – Paper Maker

Egypt
    Leader: Ramesses II
    Special Ability: Monument Builders
    Special Unit: War Chariot
    Special Building: Burial Tomb

England
    Leader: Elizabeth I
    Special Ability: Sun Never Sets
    Special Unit: Longbowman
    Special Unit: Ship of the Line

France
    Leader: Napoleon Bonaparte
    Special Ability: Ancien Regime
    Special Unit: Foreign Legion
    Special Unit: Musketeer

Germany
    Leader: Otto Von Bismarck
    Special Ability: Furor Teutonicus
    Special Unit: Landsknecht
    Special Unit: Panzer

Greece
    Leader: Alexander
    Special Ability: Hellenic League
    Special Unit: Champion Cavalry
    Special Unit: Hoplite

India
    Leader: Gandhi
    Special Ability: Population Growth
    Special Unit: War Elephant
    Special Building: Mughal Fort

Iroquois
    Leader: Hiawatha
    Special Ability: The Great Warpath
    Special Unit: Mohawk Warrior
    Special Building: Longhouse

Japan
    Leader: Oda Nobunaga
    Special Ability: Bushido
    Special Unit: Samurai
    Special Unit: Zero

Ottoman
    Leader: Suleiman the Magnificent
    Special Ability: Barbary Corsairs
    Special Unit: Janissary
    Special Unit: Sipahi

Persia
    Leader: Darius
    Special Ability: Archaemenid Legacy
    Special Unit: Immortal
    Special Building: Satrap’s Court

Rome
    Leader: Augustus Caesar
    Special Ability: The Glory of Rome
    Special Unit: Ballista
    Special Unit: Legion

Russia
    Leader: Catherine
    Special Ability: Siberian Riches
    Special Unit: Cossack
    Special Building: Krepost

Siam
    Leader: Ramkhamhaeng
    Special Ability: Father Governs Children
    Special Unit: Naresuan’s Elephant
    Special Building: Wat

Songhai
    Leader: Askia
    Special Ability – River Warlord
    Special Unit – Mandekalu Cavalry
    Special Building – Mud Pyramid Mosque

I do wonder about game balance with some civs having two UU but not UB.
    Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

The civs and the chosen leaders are very different from previous civ versions. Interesting, because now there are new civs to explore. But commercially I wonder if using todays great civs instead of historical ones don't make more money?

And they always wait for an expansion before the Dutch are in!
    Formerly known as campmajor! or Campmajor
    Did not play CIV IV because of performance issues
    New PC arrived about 13th of August, so CIV IV is finally playable for me! :)

Comment

I'm sure they held back other old time favorites like the Vikings, the Dutch, the Zulu, and the Celts just to give us a reason to buy the expansion packs.

Comment

Originally posted by Oerdin View Post
        I'm sure they held back other old time favorites like the Vikings, the Dutch, the Zulu, and the Celts just to give us a reason to buy the expansion packs.
        Ya Think
        Keep on Civin'
        RIP rah, Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

It's interesting that a game called Civilization would exclude the Sumerians and Babylonians.

More Middle East civs four aint enough!
          "Flutie was better than Kelly, Elway, Esiason and Cunningham." - Ben Kenobi
          "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

Comment

Regardless of the reasons for their choices, I like the civ list. It give a little variety, which is nice after so many games ending up next to the same old civs.

I am a bit wary about the civ-specific buildings vs. units, but I can think of a number of valid reasons why they did that.

Comment

We need the Hebrews too so we can get some early mid east scenarios going.

Comment

Originally posted by Oerdin View Post
                We need the Hebrews too so we can get some early mid east scenarios going.

In the scheme of things, the Hebrews were very minor. Sumerians, Babylonians, Assyrians, Phoenicians/Carthaginians, and hell, even the Hittites should come before the Hebrews.

I just find it interesting that the creators of civilization (the Sumerians) aren't even represented in the game, nor are their immediate successors.

Although so much Middle East would suck on a real world map. Looks like real world maps will be horribly skewed against Europe and the Middle East as usual which is completely counter to history.
                "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

Comment

Actually, it wasn't the Sumerians. I saw 10,000BC, and clearly there's an earlier civilization depicted. We just don't know who they were because when their city building Pyramids was captured by barbs halfway through construction, they lost all the accumulated production and culture. In fact, they were erased from the map and from history, due to the OCC settings they were using. Go figure.

Comment

I found this over at CFC:

Special Abilities
                    •The Glory of Rome (Rome): +25% production towards any buildings that already exist in the Capital.
                    •The Great Warpath (Iroquois): Units spend only 1 Movement Point entering any tile with a Forest.
                    •Manifest Destiny (America): All land military units have +1 sight range, 25% discount when purchasing tiles.
                    •Trade Caravans (Arabia): +1 gold from each Trade Route, and Oil resources provide double quantity.
                    •Sacrificial Captives (Aztecs): gains Culture for the empire from each enemy unit killed.
                    •Art of War (China): Effectiveness and spawn rate of Great Generals increased
                    •Monument Builders (Egypt): +20% production towards Wonder construction.
                    •Sun Never Sets (England): +2 movement for all naval units.
                    •Ancien Regime (France): +1 culture per turn from Cities before discovering Steam Power.
                    •Furor Teutonicus (Germany): Upon defeating a Barbarian unit inside an encampment, there is a 50% chance you earn 25 gold and they join your side.
                    •Hellenic League (Greece): City-State influence degrades at half rate and recovers and twice normal rate.
                    •Population Growth (India): Unhappiness from number of cities doubled, Unhappiness from number of Citizens halved.
                    Now without knowing all the game mechanics and getting some time playing the game it's hard to tell exactly which special abilities are strong and which are weak but a few things jump out at me.

1. War path seems extremely weak especially if the Iroquois start any where without forests (desert, plains, arctic, etc...)
                    2. As long as Rome's capital is located in high production area then the +25% to building buildings in other cities as long as they are in the capital could be huge.
                    3. India's seems to be a mixed bag. Fewer cities but happier cities? If Civ5 is anything like the other civ games you win the game by getting bigger then everyone else so this ability would seem to handicap India or then help unless you're on a small map.

Comment

I find those bonuses dumb. Would the English have been seafarers if they stayed in Saxony?

It's silly that in Civ, you can play as the Indians on an island and rely heavily on your Navy but the English who could be a continental power that never builds a navy through most of the game would have a naval bonus.

What sense does it make to give the Arabs a bonus with oil if the Arab civ in a Civ game happens to be in a place where there is no oil?

Stuff like that is stupid. There is no inherent anything to any civilization. The circumstances of their environment affected their culture and their development.

I always disliked that about Civ since Civ3 when they started to add civ-specific things.

Comment

I think you may have a point Albert...perhaps traits can be acquired randomly through the first two or three ages and perhaps even change depending on the nature of that civilisation in the game...
                        Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

Originally posted by Provost Harrison View Post
                          I think you may have a point Albert...perhaps traits can be acquired randomly through the first two or three ages and perhaps even change depending on the nature of that civilisation in the game...
                          Or offer you the ability to select certain traits if certain conditions are met. The conditions can be widely varied and can be based on year, technologies researched, what resources are nearby, what buildings have been built in cities, proximity to enemy, etc.

For example, if you have 3 coastal cities or have built 10 ships, you can acquire the 'seafaring' trait that gives you a bonus to sea movement.

Maybe some could offer multiple options based on the same circumstances. If you share a border with 3 different civs, you can select a militant trait which might be either offensive (higher morale for units) or defensive (defensive bonus modifier for units and cheaper walls). Or maybe you could choose a diplomatic trait in the same situation and get a bonus for diplomacy. Or maybe a trade bonus and get additional trade income. Or maybe a scientific bonus representing cultural exchange. You could even tie in some civ-specific things here like maybe the Indians can not select the offensive militant option in that circumstance or the Chinese can not select the scientific bonus.

And some should be automatic and not selectable. For example, if you have X number of a certain resource in your territory, you become adept at extracting and using it so you get a bonus for that resource (like the Arab oil bonus in the game).

Some could be year or technology based. Like you could pick the industrious trait if you're one of the first two civs to acquire the industrialization technology.

I think that would make the game much more interesting. It would make the civs more dynamic and vary from game to game while keeping them constrained by the circumstances of their location and what happens over the course of the game.

Comment

Originally posted by Provost Harrison View Post
                            Im with Sir Provost the Awesome One, you have valid points Albert

Grandpa Troll
                            Hi, I'm RAH and I'm a Benaholic.-rah

Comment

I think these new "unique" bonuses will, paradoxically, reduce the uniqueness of civs. Consider Civ3 or 4. Lots of civs/leaders have the Industrious trait, which yields extra production across the board. But it's a powerful bonus with large gameplay consequences. Now look at Civ5. Extra ship movement or extra trade from certain resources? Nice, but not the kind of thing that gives you an overwhelming advantage in any way.

In the place of each civ/leader having two non-unique bonuses in a unique (or close to unique) combination, you have each civ with one totally unique bonus. But since there are only so many factors at play in the game to be tweaked (science, culture, war, diplomacy...), there's inevitably some overlap. Rome and Egypt, for example, both have production bonuses, only instead of the powerful bonuses of old you have two weaker and limited ones. And to avoid "six of one, half-dozen of the other" boosts, some powers necessarily get really piddly-ass bonuses, like the Iroquois or, apparently, the Germans. In Civ3, at least, the Germans were a war machine, with all-around tougher units both from researching the better ones faster and from quicker experience. Here...if they attack a barbarian city, they might get to take over the unit they kill, and a little cash. Whee. Unless there are a lot of barbarians on the map, they're not going to get a lot of mileage out of that.
                              1011 1100
                              Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

Comment

Working...
                              X