Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

When are the system requirements coming out?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• When are the system requirements coming out?

A month and a half to go and I still don't know how much of an overall I'll have to pull on old Delia (that's my computer's name, based on a Jonny Cash song). I know I'll have to do something to her, but I don't know what. And its making both of us nervous.

The million dollar question. My guess is very shortly before the game is released. I only have 4GB of RAM so hopefully that is enough. If not I still have a slot open and I can get 2 GB more RAM for about $35 but anything more then that I might as well just buy a new computer.
    Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

There has been no mention of a 64 bit version of CIV V in any of the marketing guff, so I'm assuming it will be 32 bit only.

I think that means that the game won't be able to use anymore than about 2 - 3 GB of RAM, so 4GB should be fine.

There has been some mention that CIV V is core aware, so adding more cores to the CPU will help.

Comment

If it is core aware then the game engine is light years better then Paradox's latest engine. Paradox has been releasing dogs lately.

Comment

The graphics engine is definitely core aware; given that I think its a safe assumption to say that that other components are too

Comment

Well, that's good news. I was so disappointed when Hearts of Iron 3 was released without multicore support. The game just ran so slow and it was frustrating to see if wasn't even using the other cores on my CPU.

Comment

I have 8 GB, so I would be fine. And that is on my new PC that is going to be delivered soon. So really, it should be fine, or else!
              Formerly known as campmajor! or Campmajor
              Did not play CIV IV because of performance issues
              New PC arrived about 13th of August, so CIV IV is finally playable for me! :)

Comment

I hope you got a good video card put in it.
                It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
                RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

I will likely have to upgrade my video card as it's almost four years old now. It's a radeon x1550 with 256mb.

Comment

I notice that Fry's Electronics and LogicBuys are offering Radeon HD 4870 1GB for just $89 with free shipping. Those are supposed to be great video cards for the money though it would likely be over kill on my rig unless I buy 3 more 2GB ram chips and a new CPU to go with it.

Comment

I think you're overestimating the importance of RAM. More is nice, but I've yet to find anything that needed more than 4GB. Most programs don't even come close to making use of it all and I'm known for running lots of 'stuff' in the background.

Similarly, while a newer video card probably isn't a bad idea (especially with the engine changes), I have no doubt your old card would play the game acceptably. Keep in mind they're aiming for it to run on NETBOOKS
                      Last edited by Sabre2th; August 4, 2010, 12:38. Reason: typo

Comment

Originally posted by Oerdin View Post
                        I will likely have to upgrade my video card as it's almost four years old now. It's a radeon x1550 with 256mb.
                        A four year old card on a brand new AAA title is probably no good. At best in the far lower end is my guess.
                        Do not fear, for I am with you; Do not anxiously look about you, for I am your God.-Isaiah 41:10
                        I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made - Psalms 139.14a
                        Also active on WePlayCiv.

Comment

I guess I'll try it out as is and upgrade if I have too.

Comment

I'm going to wait until the time-limited-but-fully-featured demo comes out in September. It will then soon be clear whether my current machine can cope, and from the forums what the requirements will be to run large maps, etc.

Downside is that doesn't give me much time to build a new machine before the release date.

Comment

Originally posted by Oerdin View Post
                              I notice that Fry's Electronics and LogicBuys are offering Radeon HD 4870 1GB for just $89 with free shipping. Those are supposed to be great video cards for the money though it would likely be over kill on my rig unless I buy 3 more 2GB ram chips and a new CPU to go with it.

http://www.logicbuy.com/deals/asus-r...ard/23882.aspx
                              I'm running a 4850 myself and am looking at upgrading, I wouldn't go with a 4870. My 4850 has always had issues with civ 4 not working properly with it. Anyways, if you're going to upgrade get something newer at a good price point, not what's now a low end card basically.

I doubt you'll need the ram though, depending on what you have already... 4 gigs is really all you need for just about anything. I do a lot of memory intensive stuff like rendering and video editing yet 4 gigs is plenty for me.

Similarly, while a newer video card probably isn't a bad idea (especially with the engine changes), I have no doubt your old card would play the game acceptably. Keep in mind they're aiming for it to run on NETBOOKS
                              I seriously doubt a netbook will run civ 5 unless it's a brand new one a couple of years from now. The netbook I have was released at the end of 2009 so it's a fairly current model. It's unable to run civ 4 due to the video card. I can run some games on it, but anything released in the last couple of years will have horrible frame rates.

Comment

Working...
                              X