No announcement yet.

Civ 5 Steamworks FAQ

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have a virtual drive too, however I rather enjoy having the cd's in the drive, mainly because it's a waste of technology. In truth, I find cd/dvd's on computers to be rather antiquated. You occasionally need one for software, but games don't need them at all if you're willing to go through a service like steam. I have 2 desktops plus a netbook. The desktop I play games on has the drives because it amuses me. The other two computers share the external drive on the rare occasions they need it

Comment

Originally posted by Brael View Post
      I have 10 because I have some old computers and to have them match the case color I had to buy new ones rather than recycle the old ones, it was an exaggeration though. Out of those 10 drives I only have 3 of them (2 internal+1 external) actually hooked up to my computer.

The reason I have multiple drives connected is for games that require CD's. Being incredibly lazy, I find it beneficial to have multiple drives. The external is for burning or any additional cd I need. One of the other two holds civ 4 (which I don't really need to do anymore, I'm just too lazy to remove it), and one holds another game I play.
      I've reported you to the FBI as a potential SERIAL KILLER!!:ad:
      “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
      "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

Hmph.

I just bought a game on Steam to try it out and see if it was as bad as I thought. I figgured it was better to spend $30 on the Force Unleashed and find out that I really do hate it than to spend $60 on Civ 5 and find out I hate it.

I was able to download the game, but not only can I now not play the game, I can't update it because Steam hates anti-virus and networks.

Oh, and yes, there IS an option on Steam to close it on the tray. Someone had said earlier that you had to actually open it up. You don't.
        I don't know what I've been told!
        Deirdre's got a Network Node!
        Love to press the Buster Switch!
        Gonna nuke that crazy witch!

Comment

Originally posted by gdijedi7 View Post
          Hmph.

I just bought a game on Steam to try it out and see if it was as bad as I thought. I figgured it was better to spend $30 on the Force Unleashed and find out that I really do hate it than to spend $60 on Civ 5 and find out I hate it.

I was able to download the game, but not only can I now not play the game, I can't update it because Steam hates anti-virus and networks.

Oh, and yes, there IS an option on Steam to close it on the tray. Someone had said earlier that you had to actually open it up. You don't.
          You probably have to add it as an exception to your firewall. It shouldn't have anything to do with antivirus.

Comment

Originally posted by DaShi View Post
            I've reported you to the FBI as a potential SERIAL KILLER!!:ad:
            Being a serial killer requires too much effort. It not only means going out and finding victims but figuring out how to get away with the crime. It's way too much hassle for me.

Comment

Originally posted by gdijedi7 View Post
              Hmph.

Same for me. I bought Empire: Total War. See if I like it and see if Steam is OK for me. I'm a traditional guy, so having a CD in its station is no problem for me. On the other hand, I hate it when my antitvirus software automatically updates...

We'll see.
              Formerly known as campmajor! or Campmajor
              Did not play CIV IV because of performance issues
              New PC arrived about 13th of August, so CIV IV is finally playable for me! :)

Comment

I've also installed Steam and bought a game on it (Dragon Age: Origins, great game btw). It seems to work fine, my only concern now is that it shows how many hours you've played the game. Not sure I want to know that for a civ game...

Comment

Yeah, the faq says this:

Q. What personally identifiable information does Valve collect with Steam?
                  A. The only information players are required to provide is a valid email address and a password, and to verify they are older than 13 years of age. All other information at registration time is optional. Valve does track the time spent playing a game, per account, but does not collect information about what other processes are running concurrently on the computer. A player’s profile can be set to hidden, which prevents other people from seeing that player’s playtime statistics. These statistics are also recorded while in offline mode, and are transmitted the next time you connect in online mode. Crash logs do sometimes collect extra information such as what processes were running at the time of the crash, and these logs contain your Steam ID for tech support to use.

I am not sure if I like that.
                  Formerly known as campmajor! or Campmajor
                  Did not play CIV IV because of performance issues
                  New PC arrived about 13th of August, so CIV IV is finally playable for me! :)

Comment

I'm damn sure I dont
                    We need seperate human-only games for MP/PBEM that dont include the over-simplifications required to have a good AI
                    If any man be thirsty, let him come unto me and drink. Vampire 7:37
                    Just one old soldiers opinion. E Tenebris Lux. Pax quaeritur bello.

Comment

Working...
                    X