PolyCast Episode 95: "This, That and the Other Thing"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PolyCast Episode 95: "This, That and the Other Thing"

Keeping tabs may be more bother than it's worth. The ninety-fifth episode of PolyCast, "This, That and the Other Thing", features regular co-hosts Daniel "DanQ" Quick, "Makahlua", Philip "TheMeInTeam" Bellew and Lisa "qnl" Bang with returning guest co-hosts Jon "CanuckSoldier" Ryder and Troy Goodfellow.

PolyCast is a bi-weekly audio production in an ongoing effort to give the Civ community an interactive voice on game strategy; sibling show ModCast focuses on Civ modding and RevCast focuses on Civilization: Revolution.
    Last edited by DanQ; July 8, 2010, 22:46. Reason: Corrected link for Troy Goodfellow
    PolyCast Co-Host, Owner and Producer: entertaining | informing civ
    >> PolyCast (Civ strategy), ModCast (Civ modding), TurnCast (Civ multiplay); One More Turn Dramedy

Summary of Topics

- 01m57s | Senate
    What the worst Unique Building is, and if -- and when -- to settle in place, in Civilization IV.
    - 22m10s | Forum Talk
    Is the 'Zero Day' Downloadable Content (DLC) announced for Civilization V disrespecting the customer.

- Intro/Outro | Miscellaneous
    Hiding places, once revisited, and making headlines.

PolyCast is a bi-weekly audio production in an ongoing effort to give the Civ community an interactive voice on game strategy; sibling show ModCast focuses on Civ modding and RevCast focuses on Civilization: Revolution.
    >> PolyCast (Civ strategy), ModCast (Civ modding), TurnCast (Civ multiplay); One More Turn Dramedy

Comment

Ha! I remember discussions on this board "DLC is a good thing, it is where players put there mods" type of thing. Now it turns out that you have to pay extra for Babylonian from day one to get it through DLC. I want to say "I told you so". It does not look good (on top of the news of laying off people, simplifications of the game, clearly aiming it at noobs, etc). I will still buy it, I am not strapped for cash, but my expectations now are very low.
      The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so
      certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts.
      -- Bertrand Russell

Comment

Originally posted by MxM View Post
        Ha! I remember discussions on this board "DLC is a good thing, it is where players put there mods" type of thing. Now it turns out that you have to pay extra for Babylonian from day one to get it through DLC. I want to say "I told you so". It does not look good (on top of the news of laying off people, simplifications of the game, clearly aiming it at noobs, etc). I will still buy it, I am not strapped for cash, but my expectations now are very low.
        Certainly as noted on the episode itself in a few instances, there are a number of questions left unanswered, details missing. As they become set and made public, we will have a clearer picture of how this will all pan out, allowing for more informed opinions -- and choices -- in turn.

Hope you enjoyed the show!

Comment

Good show, but somehow you mostly discussed the technical aspects of DLC, mostly omitting the moral and costumer/business relation side of the issue.
          Last edited by MxM; July 16, 2010, 00:55. Reason: spelling
          -- Bertrand Russell

Comment

Originally posted by MxM View Post
            Good show, but somehow you mostly discussed the technical aspects of DLC, mostly committing the moral and costumer/business relation side of the issue.
            Well I don't think that was intentional, I guess none of us had any great moral issues with generating profit via DLC vice the old model of using larger XP's. And we all are well aware of the "vocal minority" that rates DLC up with death and taxes so there was little point in pointing out the obvious.

I know I am much more concerned on the technical and social effects that DLC can have on both the MP and modding community and the snowball effect that can potentially have in the Civ community as a whole.

CS
            Global Admin/Owner
            Civilization Players Leagues
            www.civplayers.com
            http://steamcommunity.com/groups/civplayers steam://friends/joinchat/103582791431089902

Comment

Well, you see, that could have been said on that show, and discussed. But as I said, overall I liked the show.
              -- Bertrand Russell

Comment

Working...
              X