• Show
Clear All

• Civilization studio lays off 20

“Civilization” studio lays off 20"

“Civilization” studio lays off 20
    By: Chris
    Published: Thu, July 08, 2010, 10:58 AM
    | Comments ( 0 ) | TrackBack ( 0 ) Email or Share
    Significant staff cuts have hit Firaxis Studios, the home of gaming legend Sid Meier and developer of the forthcoming “Civilization V”. The studio has laid off 20 developers as part of what parent company Take Two Interactive Software calls a “realignment of development resources at the studio”.

That works out to roughly 15 percent of the company’s employees, if recent staffing estimates are correct. The company says the layoffs will not affect ongoing development of “Civ 5” or the upcoming “Civ” Facebook game.

“Firaxis has realigned its development resources in order to streamline its development process, reduce costs and maximize the overall performance of the studio,” said Take Two in a statement. “This will result in the elimination of 20 positions. These reductions will not impact Firaxis’ ability to create and deliver AAA titles, including its forthcoming Sid Meier’s Civilization V and Sid Meier’s Civilization Network for Facebook.”

The move came just one day after Firaxis won “Best Strategy Game” from the Game Critics Awards, the most prestigious awards given at E3. The game has won universal acclaim in previews as well.

Layoffs after a game ships are fairly common in the gaming world, but layoffs of this magnitude before it is completed are rare – and rather baffling.

Meier was not affected by the layoffs and will remain with the company. “Civ V” is still scheduled for release on Sept. 21. Alan Lewis, Vice President of Corporate Communications & Public Affairs for Take Two, says the Facebook “Civ” game is on track for an open beta “later this year.”

That’s a bit later than the company originally planned. Earlier this year, a company spokesperson said the open beta was planned to launch in June. That month came and went without a whisper about the game.

Posted: Thu, July 08, 2010, 10:58 AM

Its Bush's fault.
    We need seperate human-only games for MP/PBEM that dont include the over-simplifications required to have a good AI
    If any man be thirsty, let him come unto me and drink. Vampire 7:37
    Just one old soldiers opinion. E Tenebris Lux. Pax quaeritur bello.

Comment

Har-dee-har-har, Spence.

What the fhell, 2K?
      The cake is NOT a lie. It's so delicious and moist.

The Weighted Companion Cube is cheating on you, that slut.

Comment

This is alarming.
        "My nation is the world, and my religion is to do good." --Thomas Paine
        "The subject of onanism is inexhaustable." --Sigmund Freud

Comment

No kidding.
          If there is no sound in space, how come you can hear the lasers?
          ){ :|:& };:

Comment

I don't find it alarming at all... It's not like they are the only company in the US that has had to cut staff.
            The good news is, if the game is really planned to launch in late September, one has to assume that the bulk of the work has already been done on the game. If this had happened months ago, I might be more concerned.

I do feel sorry for all the staff that will be let go... been there, done that.
            Good luck guys!
            Keep on Civin'
            RIP rah, Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Via Rock Paper Shotgun

About 20 people were laid-off from Firaxis, the creators of Civilization V, parent company 2K confirmed to Kotaku today.

"including folks from the quality assurance team, the user interface art team, animators, programmers and designers."

The others I get I guess, but QA? With an upcoming Sept release? Huh?

Comment

Oh lord, from the comments @ that link:

"AoE 01:02 PM
                I predict after Civ V, 2K will close the studio and pass development of Civ VI along to 2K Marin, where it will be turned into an FPS with "strategic elements."

Slatz_Grobnik 02:06 PM
                @AoE: No, no, no - it's Civ:VI that's destined to be the squad level turn based strategy game about a lone group of spearmen, fighting their way through history."

I shuddered so hard I think I ruptured my spleen. x_x

Comment

Originally posted by DRoseDARs View Post
                  Oh lord, from the comments @ that link:
                  Thanks for the comic relief.
                  Seriously. Kung freaking fu.

Comment

Originally posted by SpencerH View Post
                    Its Bush's fault.
                    While I understand that this is a joke, it has some truth, I think. And not only due to crisis that that created bad employment situation today, but mostly due to what suspect Firaxis outsources more and more to Firaxis china, especially the game polishing and translation to different platforms, which are the final stages of the game. (That's what they do with revolution). Bush (and republicans in general) are supporters and big proponents of outsourcing and free trade which is helpful for business and wealth generation but not for employment.

Overall the question is quite complex and I do not want to create political discussion here, but overall, I agree with you, without joke.
                    The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so
                    certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts.
                    -- Bertrand Russell

Comment

Depends if you believe in comparative advantage.

You are right that free trade and outsourcing means that less jobs in THOSE industries will exist in the US. However, since you concede that business and wealth generation go up this means that goods are cheaper in the United States.

If goods are cheaper in the US (think $2 gas v. $4 gas); consumers have extra money to spend on services... and if more is spent on services, then more local jobs are created. The problem would come when service jobs are exported to other countries and the US has less and less comparative advantage positions. Whether or not that point has been reached is debateable- with rising gas and transport prices, I figure that there will always be some things that are cheaper to produce locally rather than to source.
                      -->Visit CGN!
                      -->"Production! More Production! Production creates Wealth! Production creates more Jobs!"-Wendell Willkie -1944

Comment

I'm more shocked/impressed that 20 people are 15% of Firaxis' staff. Assuming my math is right, that'd mean they'd have around 135 employees. That is vastly higher than I would expect. They don't put out more than one game or expansion pack a year. They really need 135 people for that?

Look at some of the best mods for Civ4: Fall from Heaven and Rhye's and Fall of Civilization. Those mods pretty much reinvented Civ4, and each had changes that were about as extensive as any of the Civ4 Expansion packs. Yet they were done with around 1-5 people handling all the art & code, and doing it for free too!

I can't fathom what Firaxis would do that would require 135 people for. I had expected they employed more in the realm of 20-40 people total.
                        Captain of Team Apolyton - ISDG 2012

When I was younger I thought curfews were silly, but now as the daughter of a young woman, I appreciate them. - Rah

Comment

Maybe 20-40 full timers and the rest are are consultants.

I guess it's been so thoroughly tested they feel no need for extra staff to put out the patches for Civ 5, since there won't be any.
                          I'm consitently stupid- Japher
                          I think that opinion in the United States is decidedly different from the rest of the world because we have a free press -- by free, I mean a virgorously presented right wing point of view on the air and available to all.- Ned

Comment

Originally posted by Theben View Post
                            I guess it's been so thoroughly tested they feel no need for extra staff to put out the patches for Civ 5, since there won't be any.
                            Captain of Team Apolyton - ISDG 2012

When I was younger I thought curfews were silly, but now as the daughter of a young woman, I appreciate them. - Rah

Comment

You've been to the Studios, Ozzy. You cram 135 people in there and no work would get done. My guess is along the lines of what Tehben said
                              Founder of The Glory of War, CHAMPIONS OF APOLYTON!!!
                              1992-Perot , 1996-Perot , 2000-Bush , 2004-Bush :|, 2008-Obama :|, 2012-Obama , 2016-Clinton , 2020-Biden

Comment

Working...
                              X