CIV V on CNN.com

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CIV V on CNN.com

"Civilization V" is the latest incarnation of Sid Meier's successful series of strategy games that allow players to take a tribe of people and try to turn them into the most dominant country in the world.

I wasn't born with enough middle fingers.
    [Brandon Roderick? You mean Brock's Toadie?][Hanged from Yggdrasil]

Apparently, the town can shoot back. Interesting concept, especially in modern times. In WW II, most of the citizens just ran, but the Russians and the Yugoslavs actually resisted like the game portrays.

All theoretical or course. Not likely to see it, if it needs Steam!
    No matter where you go, there you are. - Buckaroo Banzai
    "I played it [Civilization] for three months and then realised I hadn't done any work. In the end, I had to delete all the saved files and smash the CD." Iain Banks, author

Comment

i honestly don't understand all the steam hate. it's inconvenient, sure, but there could be far more draconian ways for them to go about things.
      I wasn't born with enough middle fingers.
      [Brandon Roderick? You mean Brock's Toadie?][Hanged from Yggdrasil]

Comment

Ubisoft they are not. Be grateful.
        The cake is NOT a lie. It's so delicious and moist.

The Weighted Companion Cube is cheating on you, that slut.

Comment

Originally posted by DRoseDARs View Post
          Ubisoft they are not. Be grateful.
          Sorry, but I can not accept the logic "be grateful, because it could have been worse"
          Saddam Hussein was also a great guy, when you compare him with Hitler.
          The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so
          certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts.
          -- Bertrand Russell

Comment

Some people need to grow up and learn to love steam. It's actually a pretty nice delivery system. It's not satan, it is just a computer program. Idiots
            If there is no sound in space, how come you can hear the lasers?
            ){ :|:& };:

Comment

Hauldren, some other people need to grow and respect the opinions of others, and not to call them idiots just because they have different opinions.

And yes, there are better delivery systems than STEAM. Nearly every other delivery system (direct2drive, Impulse, GamersGate) are less draconian in terms of DRM and requirements to run their module to run the game.
              -- Bertrand Russell

Comment

Steam is also more than a content delivery system - the Steamworks API also includes community and multiplayer functionality.

Comment

Originally posted by thyrwyn View Post
                  Steam is also more than a content delivery system - the Steamworks API also includes community and multiplayer functionality.
                  Sure, and for some people this is important. For me it is not at all. Community? I am more happy with Apolyton community than huge set of random people on Steam. Multiplayer? I have never cared about it. For me Civ is a single player game.
                  More over, both of those items could be done without Steam, and quite well, if not better.

Let's face the truth - the reason why Steam is chosen is for its DRM - exactly the same reason why I dislike it. The rest is marketing spin for the people who are easily swayed by such thing.
                  -- Bertrand Russell

Comment

Originally posted by self biased View Post
                    i honestly don't understand all the steam hate. it's inconvenient, sure, but there could be far more draconian ways for them to go about things.
                    Like what?
                    If you still don't understand, then why comment? You obviously just don't get it.
                    Fortunately there ARE other companies that DO get it, Steam competitors like Gamersgate.
                    Steam is nasty, and only the blind one can't see.
                    "BANANA POWAAAAH!!! (exclamation Zopperoni style)" - Mercator, in the OT 'What fruit are you?' thread
                    Join the Civ2 Democratic Game! We have a banana option in every poll just for you to vote for!
                    Many thanks to Zealot for wasting his time on the jobs section at Gamasutra - MarkG in the article SMAC2 IN FULL 3D? http://apolyton.net/misc/
                    Always thought settlers looked like Viking helmets. Took me a while to spot they were supposed to be wagons. - The pirate about Settlers in Civ 1

Comment

DRM of any kind is bad. Personally, I'll put up with a cd key, but that is as far as my tolerance goes.

Consumers need to realize that when they buy anything with DRM, they are funding (directly or indirectly) the implementation and further development of this scourge. Software protection companies like Starforce don't provide their product to publishers for free.

If enough of us just said No with our wallets, DRM would go away very quickly.

Comment

Working...
                      X