civilization5.com gets a facelift

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• civilization5.com gets a facelift

The Official Civilization V website has been relaunched with a complete facelift. The new website covers new sections, like media, downloads and goodies. Not all offer much though. The most interesting new section is the "Civilizations" sections in which all civs of the game are covered. Every civ comes with a brief description and an in-game video of it's leader.

"I'm pleased to meet you", Elisabeth of England welcomes is with a bit of a wary voice. We learn that the English have (like all other civs) 2 special units, the Longbowman and the Ship of the Line. Nothing about special buildings (yet?).
    Browsing through all civilizations and hear their leaders speak in their native language is defenitely a way to raise your anticipation of civ5!.

Visit the relaunched official website of Civilization V at http://www.civilization5.com

update: "It appears that each civ has 2 specials which can be units or buildings (eg Egypt - burial tomb)." (thanks to ColdPhoenix)

Last edited by Robert; June 11, 2010, 04:02.
    Formerly known as "CyberShy"
    Carpe Diem tamen Memento Mori

It appears that each civ has 2 specials which can be units or buildings (eg Egypt - burial tomb).

Comment

Didn't spot that yet! Thanks.

Comment

I'd be interested to find out more about the special abilities. Some are pretty clear (India - population growth) but what about manifest destiny (an extra happy face per city?) and sun never sets (cheaper to run a large empire?). Some like "Father governs children" I couldn't even guess at!

Comment

Ahriman over at civfanatics had a pretty good guess at Manifest Destiny - it costs less to buy/expand into new tiles.

Maybe "Father governs children" makes it easier to deal with Citystates or puppet states (the new vassals)?

Comment

Maybe the Chinese "Art of War" grants a cultural bonus for victorious battles.
            "My nation is the world, and my religion is to do good." --Thomas Paine
            "The subject of onanism is inexhaustable." --Sigmund Freud

Comment

Ooooh, now that's a cunning idea
              Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

I think father governs children probably makes control over your own citizens easier consider this is Siam we are talking about.

I'm willing to bet the Hellenic League makes it easier to deal with City states.
                Modern man calls walking more quickly in the same direction down the same road “change.”
                The world, in the last three hundred years, has not changed except in that sense.
                The simple suggestion of a true change scandalizes and terrifies modern man. -Nicolás Gómez Dávila

Comment

That does sound more likely.

Comment

This all sounds very cool.
                    Captain of Team Apolyton - ISDG 2012

When I was younger I thought curfews were silly, but now as the daughter of a young woman, I appreciate them. - Rah

Comment

Originally posted by Heraclitus View Post
                      I think father governs children probably makes control over your own citizens easier consider this is Siam we are talking about.
                      From wikipedia:

Thai city-states gradually became independent from the weaker Khmer Empire. It is said that Sukhothai was established as a sovereign, strong kingdom by Pho Khun Si Indrathit in 1238 AD. A political feature called by 'classic' Thai historians as, 'father governs children' existed at this time. Everybody could bring their problems to the king directly; as there was a bell in front of the palace for this purpose. The city briefly dominated the area under King Ramkhamhaeng, who established the Thai alphabet, but after his death in 1365 it fell into decline and became subject to another emerging Thai state: the Ayutthaya kingdom in the lower Chao Phraya area.
                      Captain of Team Apolyton - ISDG 2012

When I was younger I thought curfews were silly, but now as the daughter of a young woman, I appreciate them. - Rah

Comment

Originally posted by OzzyKP View Post
                        From wikipedia:

Thai city-states gradually became independent from the weaker Khmer Empire. It is said that Sukhothai was established as a sovereign, strong kingdom by Pho Khun Si Indrathit in 1238 AD. A political feature called by 'classic' Thai historians as, 'father governs children' existed at this time. Everybody could bring their problems to the king directly; as there was a bell in front of the palace for this purpose. The city briefly dominated the area under King Ramkhamhaeng, who established the Thai alphabet, but after his death in 1365 it fell into decline and became subject to another emerging Thai state: the Ayutthaya kingdom in the lower Chao Phraya area.
                        Well there are many potential effects on city states. A power that makes them friendlier and a power that makes their annexation easeir for starters.
                        Modern man calls walking more quickly in the same direction down the same road “change.”
                        The world, in the last three hundred years, has not changed except in that sense.
                        The simple suggestion of a true change scandalizes and terrifies modern man. -Nicolás Gómez Dávila

Comment

City states look like a big game changer!
                          It also looks like Firaxis really made the diplo victory and the cultural victory a lot more interesting!

Especially the diplo victory and the city states concept looks amazing. I wonder how the 'local government' thing works after you captured an enemy city. Will it also become something like a city state? Or is it still a part of your empire?

I'm looking forward to civ5 a lot!!!

Comment

Working...
                          X