The Civilization V DLC speculation thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Civilization V DLC speculation thread

We live in the age of Downloadable content both free and paid for, cheap and small or expansion sized big. Original content or content locked on the disc making you pay extra for a game you've already bought (2K's very own Bioshock 2 an example of the latter.) So, let's assume there'll be DLC for Civ V. What kind of things would you like to see or not see in Civ V DLC of all types.

Personally I don't want to see the kind of store exclusive kind Civilization Revolutions had. Giving a tough choice to where American consumers pick up their games I'm sure was annoying but not as annoying I assure you as living on the other side of the pond and not given the option to get any of it. I also don't want to see more powerful units than those in the regular games, essentially making you pay for cheat options, ruining the balance of the game by getting it or not getting it if playing multi player.

But that's not to mean I'm opposed to DLC and I think Civ V is well suited for it. Maybe a few extra civs/states/Wonders for those of us who bought the game new like what EA did with Mass Effect 2. New scenario packs to spice the game up a little once the games been out a few months. They could be themed like 'Historical' or 'Fantastic Realms' packs. And then there's the expansion size DLC which I don't think I can think about much until the game is actually out.

So, anyone else have thoughts on this?

Probably some sort of special unit design or something. Paradox did an extra sprite pack with HOI3 and that sort of stuff seems to be pretty common. Something like the basic unit is the same as in the regular game but for a bit more money they individualize the units so they look like the historical ones from that civ. British rifle men will look like red coats while Ethiopian rifle men will look like Oromo warriors or something.
    Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

the fanbase is famous for creating and maintaining its own DLC, as it were. unless firaxis wants to give an official seal of approval and host it, i can't really see anyone paying for DLC as the fanbase will usually do something better than the original devs.
      I wasn't born with enough middle fingers.
      [Brandon Roderick? You mean Brock's Toadie?][Hanged from Yggdrasil]

Comment

What self said.
        I'm consitently stupid- Japher
        I think that opinion in the United States is decidedly different from the rest of the world because we have a free press -- by free, I mean a virgorously presented right wing point of view on the air and available to all.- Ned

Comment

If you look at a game like Fallout 3 on the PC it has a successful mix of official and fan-base add ons. One of the probably intentional side effects the official DLC had was to allow more stuff for modders to do with the game. You'll notice that many mods require certain add ons as they simply couldn't be done on the basic game. For example, Mothership Zeta allowed modders to make levels with different rules such as the Millennium Falcon. Maybe a similar practice can be explored with Civ.

Comment

2K have said they are going to control the central hub that contains fan created DLC...

Probably means the EULA will make mods distributed outside this method "illegal", which would be interesting to watch.
            You just wasted six ... no, seven ... seconds of your life reading this sentence.

Comment

I doubt that Krill. It would be unenforceable and a PR nightmare.

It's much more likely that the central hub will just help modders get the word out about their projects, while giving players the assurance that the mods have been tested and are compatible. Stardock did something similar with GalCiv Metaverse. I'm personally excited about it.
              John Brown did nothing wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by Krill View Post
                2K have said they are going to control the central hub that contains fan created DLC...
                Citation needed please.

Comment

DLC is a stupid idea that alienates the fanbase and leads to piracy. Personally, I dont believe Firaxis would be stupid enough to crawl into that slimey sewer.
                  We need seperate human-only games for MP/PBEM that dont include the over-simplifications required to have a good AI
                  If any man be thirsty, let him come unto me and drink. Vampire 7:37
                  Just one old soldiers opinion. E Tenebris Lux. Pax quaeritur bello.

Comment

Originally posted by SpencerH View Post
                    DLC is a stupid idea that alienates the fanbase and leads to piracy. Personally, I dont believe Firaxis would be stupid enough to crawl into that slimey sewer.
                    I have to disagree. Free content that's only available with a legal version of the game that's accessed from an online server would reduce piracy as a full game couldn't be pirated anywhere near as easily.

Comment

All games are subject to piracy. The ease with which that occurs is not the issue. The issue surrounding "extra content" is that it implies one of two things, either the game requires the "extra content" to be finally complete or it is "overly complete" with the "extra content". In the first case, one initially pays for an incomplete game and is then blackmailed to buy the "extra content" in order to acquire what one hopes is a functioning version. In the second case, the "extra content" either adds nothing substantial to the gameplay (since the game is complete without it) or it unbalances the completed product while costing considerably more. IMO, both case one and case two lead to customer disatisfaction and the perception that the company is not "dealing fairly" with its customers. That perception, in turn, leads to piracy amongst even the most hardcore fanbase. Ask yourself how many players with legitimate games have "acquired" an "expansion" version either because they wanted to evaluate its value or because they felt it should have been included in the original.
                      We need seperate human-only games for MP/PBEM that dont include the over-simplifications required to have a good AI
                      If any man be thirsty, let him come unto me and drink. Vampire 7:37
                      Just one old soldiers opinion. E Tenebris Lux. Pax quaeritur bello.

Comment

Originally posted by Krill View Post

Probably means the EULA will make mods distributed outside this method "illegal", which would be interesting to watch.
                        Originally posted by wodan11 View Post
                        Citation needed please.
                        It was in one of the interviews. This is the reason they are hiring the "Civilization Community Manager" IMO.

As far as paid DLC goes I am strictly against for reasons already explained by SpencerH.
                        Quendelie axan!

Comment

It was said in the first week after the revelation that CiV was being made. Can't remember exactly where, and don't really care to look. I'll just stick with looking awesome when I get proved right.

The EULA was a guess, but I don't really see the point in it unless it is mandatory.
                          You just wasted six ... no, seven ... seconds of your life reading this sentence.

Comment

Originally posted by Brael View Post
                            I have to disagree. Free content that's only available with a legal version of the game that's accessed from an online server would reduce piracy as a full game couldn't be pirated anywhere near as easily.
                            That could be handled simply as a patch. There is no reason to have DLC for free content. I can not envision free content to be massive in terms of size for Civ V.

I dislike DLC with passion. I feel like companies are leaving things from the game on purpose to get it as DLC and to charge you twice. That simply spoils the game! Ugh!
                            The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so
                            certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts.
                            -- Bertrand Russell

Comment

DLC would create a nightmare for multi-player, I would imagine. Just patches are a hassle, can't but think that "extra stuff" wouldn't shut the game right down.
                              No matter where you go, there you are. - Buckaroo Banzai
                              "I played it [Civilization] for three months and then realised I hadn't done any work. In the end, I had to delete all the saved files and smash the CD." Iain Banks, author

Comment

Working...
                              X