Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Eurogamer previews Civ5

Eurogamer released a new preview of civ5:

When Civilization IV came out - and I'm using the z spelling with the same counter-intuitive courtesy that allows me to…

Eurogamer starts their Civ 5 review with some memories from the introduction of Civ IV. Especially it's political correctness is being poked at. Then it continues to explain the, by now known, hexagon system. "the permanent and steady expansion and shape of your empire is a more irregular, important and tactically considered process."

Eurogamer is impressed by Firaxis ammount of work in the displaying of the leaders! "Fully modelled world leaders, roaming fully modelled rooms, speaking their own language (whether you understand it or not), with research into the body language of different cultures reflected in their animation sets.". Yes, you read that right, there'll even be body language.

The game ships with a mod browser and a mod installer. Jon Shafer, as a former(?) modder, is cited that people are still able to do things the old fashioned way, including extracting zip files manually.

The article concludes that Civilization V is the best of both worlds, more approachable with still a huge brain throbbing in the background.

Read the preview yourself on Eurogamer.
    You can discuss the article in our forums.

Last edited by Robert; March 10, 2010, 03:45.
    Formerly known as "CyberShy"
    Carpe Diem tamen Memento Mori

Hm, am I the only one who couldn't care less about leader animations and authentic languages? Civ1 images were enough for me.
    Game play is what concerns me.
    "The world is too small in Vorarlberg". Austrian ex-vice-chancellor Hubert Gorbach in a letter to Alistar [sic] Darling, looking for a job...
    "Let me break this down for you, fresh from algebra II. A 95% chance to win 5 times means a (95*5) chance to win = 475% chance to win." Wiglaf, Court jester or hayseed, you judge.

Comment

Agreed. Yes it's kinda cute for the first few games but after that, give me game play.
      It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
      RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

It is important because it makes the franchise survive, but indeed, I'd rather have good and rich gameplay then eyecandy. Though eyecandy is not bad either
        If I'll ever want to be able to teach the game to my children, they are not supposed to laugh at me

Right now my son is heavily interested in civ because of all the animated animals. "Now you must show me the whale again! Now the cattle"
        He can look at it for an hour at least. (destroying pure gametime for me )

Comment

Anything that promotes daddy-son time is good.
          It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
          RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

It's also a way to be able to play civ while entertaining the kids so that the wife has to do the dishes

Comment

I remember playing years ago when my daughter was younger and she'd always come over and jump in my lap and ask if I had a city named after her, and when I'd answer "of course" she'd want me to show it to her so she could see all the HAPPY citizens, because everyone should be happy in a city named after her.
              RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

You should build the Taj Mahal in that city every time!

Comment

Originally posted by Wernazuma III View Post
                  Hm, am I the only one who couldn't care less about leader animations and authentic languages? Civ1 images were enough for me.
                  Game play is what concerns me.
                  It honestly sounds like they're dumbing down Civ5 to the levels of CivRev so we can expect lots of pretty pictures and retarded game play. Like 1 unit per tile with no unit stacking yet archers are able to hit targets two tiles away even though, theoretically, each tile is dozens of miles across.
                  Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Or it takes up to 50 years to travel dozens of miles.

Comment

Yeah, I never got that either. "WHAT? It took 50 years to travel a few miles?"
                      Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Fun > Realism
                        Jon Miller: MikeH speaks the truth
                        Jon Miller: MikeH is a shockingly revolting dolt and a masturbatory urine-reeking sideshow freak whose word is as valuable as an aging cow paddy.
                        We've got both kinds

Comment

Originally posted by Oerdin View Post

Yeah, I never got that either. "WHAT? It took 50 years to travel a few miles?"
                          Nonsense! Especially in the ancient/classical ages, they were looking around, gathering food seed, settling down and making babies for a generation before moving on.

You just do NOT have as much control over units' movement early on. (or at most any time other than on roads/rail).

Comment

I hope the leaders have has much personality has they had in SMAC. Its one of things I loved about SMAC and was missing, IMO, in the other civ games. God did I hate Yang, that smug son of a *****!
                            Let us be lazy in everything, except in loving and drinking, except in being lazy – Lessing

Comment

Originally posted by MikeH View Post
                              Fun > Realism
                              This.

The problem I have with the super-animated leaders is that it makes modding all the more difficult. The beauty of Civ 2 was that you could upload any picture to be a leader, even just symbols or flags. But so long as the game plays well, I don't mind the bells/whistles/what have you.

And I have to say that eliminating stacks sounds AWESOME to me. Stacks of Doom were absurd and eliminated the need for good tactics.
                              Tutto nel mondo è burla

Comment

Working...
                              X