Eurogamer interviews Jon Shafer and Dennis Shirk

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Eurogamer interviews Jon Shafer and Dennis Shirk

Eurogamer placed an interview with Civilization V Lead Designer, Jon Shafer, and Civ 5 Producer Dennis Shirk, both from Firaxis.

Civilization may be so wonderful that we're even prepared to tolerate its use of a "z", but it's hard to imagine buildi…

Apolyton news article:

Today Eurogamer released an interview with Civ5 Lead Designer Jon Shafer and Producer Dennis Shirk. Jon, Dennis and a mysterious "Lovely marketing lady" talk about all kinds of civ 5 related things. Jon and Dennis explain how the game must both keep it`s depths of complexity while also benig able to pull in new players.

We learn that the hexagon tiles were inspired and pushed by the new combat style: "with the switch to the new kind of combat, that made the jump to hexes easier for us, because it actually helped the game, makes the movement of units more interesting." (Dennis Shirk)

A tad bit more is revealed about the impact of terrain on units and their actions. Jon Shafer on this topic: "The range is the same, but if they`re in a jungle, all they can see is the jungle. But if they`re on a hill and there`s a forest between them and the enemy, they`ll be able to shoot over it."

We`re also told that there are three layers of unit placement, civil units, air units and armies. "You can have a worker unit and a warrior unit on the same tile, but not two of either." (Jon Shafer)

The modding tools (that are easy enough to let Dennis Shirk`s son make a map) will make modding and distrubition a lot easier. There will be one file to distribute, instead of whole packages. This time the game will allow mod uploads from within so that players can select mods from a directory. Will this be the end of the modding community? Jon Shafer: "We`re definitely not looking to replace the community, here. We`re just here to provide a showcase for people who expand the game."

The interview covers more topics, like the Firaxis being allowed to keep it`s name now 2K Games owns it, comparisons between Bioshock and Civilization, how Civilization 5 relates to fan fiction of humanity, etc.

You can read the entire interview right here and discuss it in our forums here.

Enjoy!

Last edited by Robert; March 10, 2010, 03:46.
    Formerly known as "CyberShy"
    Carpe Diem tamen Memento Mori

Here's the first look at the civ 5 User Interface:

Let's speculate!!

Comment

Lovely marketing lady: Sid said eh-eh [makes a farting sound].
      Captain of Team Apolyton - ISDG 2012

When I was younger I thought curfews were silly, but now as the daughter of a young woman, I appreciate them. - Rah

Comment

Great interview.
        Jon Miller: MikeH speaks the truth
        Jon Miller: MikeH is a shockingly revolting dolt and a masturbatory urine-reeking sideshow freak whose word is as valuable as an aging cow paddy.
        We've got both kinds

Comment

I like how Apolyton has its own news feeds.

We should put those on the front page so everyone can see them.
          Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Eurogamer managed to pull a Oerdin:

That's something I love about games. There are words I wouldn't know if I didn't play games, like whetstone, kindling, falchion and phalanx. It just sticks in there. There's probably a lot of people who know about Chicken Itza because of you lot. Speaking of cultures, you mentioned yesterday that different cultures had different tiles. Did I hear that right?
            Let us be lazy in everything, except in loving and drinking, except in being lazy – Lessing

Comment

Hmm, Chicken Itza. I wonder how they cook that and how the Maya managed to get Chickens before European contact?

Comment

Jon's a cutie patootie.
                Tutto nel mondo è burla

Comment

Originally posted by Boris Godunov View Post
                  Jon's a cutie patootie.
                  Yes, this will be the best Civ game ever.

Can Jon be an advisor??

"The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
                  Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Perverts.
                    It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
                    RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Here's a screen shot from the Gamespot preview:

Weird things people have noticed: There is a farm built without access to irrigation water (no river or pond nearby), the sheep are almost the same size as the elephants and both are larger then most buildings, for some reason rather then hooking up the special resources (sheep & elephants) the person decided to build farm fields first. I thought that last one was weird because in Civ4 you'd always hook up resources first because their tile output was so much better then then even a flood plain with a farm on it.

Comment

Giant animals is the same as IV.

If the sheep and elephants were to scale, you wouldn't be able to see them.
                        Jon Miller: MikeH speaks the truth
                        Jon Miller: MikeH is a shockingly revolting dolt and a masturbatory urine-reeking sideshow freak whose word is as valuable as an aging cow paddy.
                        We've got both kinds

Comment

not hooking up to the resources may be because the player doesn't have the right techs yet. farms without irrigation is interesting indeed! Perhaps a 'worldbuilder' created screenshot?

Comment

Working...
                          X