MOO3 for Mac? (opinion search)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MOO3 for Mac? (opinion search)

Just wondering if anybody here has played or is contemplating buying MOO3 for Mac.

I'm interested, but I'd like some more input... I've never played a MOO game before (I know, I'm missing a lot) and I'd like to get some input before asking the wife to get it for me for my 21st birthday (got CivIII for Christmas )
    I'm not conceited, conceit is a fault and I have no faults...

Civ and WoW are my crack... just one... more... turn...

I'm working my way through it. Its fairly detailed. I'm reading through the manual as if its a college textbook and phoning a gaming friend to get more specific information.

So far, after piddling around w/ a couple starts, I'm on turn 36 as the Humans. I chose a large 2-arm galaxy so I could spend some time alone figuring things out.

Its playing fine and I'm using a processor (333MHz) that is less than recommended (350MHz).

Bottom line ---> I'm enjoying the learning curve and find the concept interesting.

Btw, I'm a Moo rookie myself.
    "What did you learn in school today, dear little boy of mine?
    I learned our government must be strong. It's always right and never wrong,.....that's what I learned in school."
    --- Tom Paxton song ('63)

Comment

Re: MOO3 for Mac? (opinion search)

Originally posted by FlameFlash
      ....before asking the wife to get it for me for my 21st birthday (got CivIII for Christmas )
      Huh! Wife! For 21st birthday! A man beyond his years. I waited until I was 30 y/o, couldn't have done it sooner, mentally.
      I learned our government must be strong. It's always right and never wrong,.....that's what I learned in school."

Comment

Re: Re: MOO3 for Mac? (opinion search)

Originally posted by dojoboy

Huh! Wife! For 21st birthday! A man beyond his years. I waited until I was 30 y/o, couldn't have done it sooner, mentally.

That's why on the 'poly top 150 I was thought to be 24 no doubt.

And she's only 19

And we have a son who is almost 1 (as of June 1st.)

Once I get it and familiarize myself, I may be hitting you up for a MP game.

Right now it's a toss-up between MOO3 and Stronghold... just not sure which one I want.

Oh... do you know what the resolution requirements are? I can't play Civ III on my wife's iBook because the screen is too small and I was hoping I'd be able to play MOO3 over our home LAN if possible.

Fortunately, she's having more fun with CivIII the map editor, which doesn't have any res requirements.

Comment

I believe the resolution is 800x600 only. I'd be up for an MP game, never played one.

Comment

What's the idea behind the MoO series? Is it basically a Civ-like game, except on a galactic scale?

Gatekeeper (who's still hoping for PtW-Mac)
            "I may not agree with what you have to say, but I'll die defending your right to say it." — Voltaire

"Wheresoever you go, go with all your heart." — Confucius

Comment

I am getting Moo evenatually, but currently I am waiting for EU 2 instead (I noticed the mac version went gold not so long ago and I'm hoping they finally release it sometime soon).
              No Fighting here, this is the war room!

Comment

Originally posted by Henrik
                I am getting Moo evenatually, but currently I am waiting for EU 2 instead (I noticed the mac version went gold not so long ago and I'm hoping they finally release it sometime soon).
                EU2 is shipping May 1, 2003 through MacPlay in North America. Its also retailing at $29.99 which is great for us mac-gamers.

Comment

I believe the resolution is 800x600 only. I'd be up for an MP game, never played one.
                  I'll let you know when I get it (which I hopefully will).

MOO3, from my understanding, is much like Civ but on the galactic scale like you said, Gatekeeper.

What makes it different is that there's a lot more micromanagement and planets are equal to cities... aren't the amounf of planets to be discovered and settled limited too? Adds a whole new aspect rather than build wherever you feel like it.

What is EU2?

Comment

Originally posted by FlameFlash
                    What is EU2?
                    Europa Universalis II

It is an RTS, w/ a touch of TBS. You can play one of 90+ countries beginning in the 1400s until the 1800s; Grand Campaign. Its tied in to historic events.

Comment

EU2 is shipping May 1, 2003 through MacPlay in North America. Its also retailing at $29.99 which is great for us mac-gamers.

Let's hope it's an international release (after all the company that made the PC version is from Sweden and the VPLTD, the makers of the Mac version is based in the UK as I recall). I've been waiting for this game for as long as EU1 has existed for the PC...
                      No Fighting here, this is the war room!

Comment

Europa Universalis II

It is an RTS, w/ a touch of TBS. You can play one of 90+ countries beginning in the 1400s until the 1800s; Grand Campaign. Its tied in to historic events.

http://www.europa-universalis.com/fo...php?forumid=51
                        Sounds like a good game concept. Think I'll hold out for MOO3 and Stronghold for now... maybe get EU2 later if I hear good things.

Comment

I don't like it. I played it for many hours and its seriously lacking in animation and good graphics. I lost interest and uninstalled it.
                          President iGreg

Computer: iMac G3 500 MHz

Comment

What about the strategy elements iGreg?

Graphics be damned IMHO... Civ III isn't cutting edge but I still like it for the strategy element. Were the graphics and animations the only things that inspired the uninstall?

Comment

I think the graphics are "European" in appearance which did make an impression on me the first time I saw it. The animation is fine. I've played around w/ EU2 some on a PC = complicated.

Comment

Working...
                              X