CIV 1 + Colonization= CIV4

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CIV 1 + Colonization= CIV4

Which features would you add, in a future CIV 4 game, from CIV1 and Colonization?
    Of couse the develpment of CIV 4 would have (maybe) a lot of new options, but anyway is there some features from these classic games that you would like to see in a future version of Civ?
    A los niños les gusta jugar con soldaditos, y a las niñas, con muñecas. Cuando son mayores es al revés.

Sombra terrible de los Lisperger, voy a evocaros!

I wouldn't try to merge features of Civ with Colonization.

Colonization's focus was very specific. Civ's focus is wider in history, strategy, and direction. It would be difficult to bring in elements of Colonization, as they would be nothing more than adding micromanagement to the Civ game.
    One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

Comment

CIV 1 + Colonization= Micromanagement out the yin-yang

They don't seem that compatable to me, precisely for Big Crunch's reasons.
      "We are living in the future, I'll tell you how I know, I read it in the paper, Fifteen years ago" - John Prine

Comment

Some ideas from Colonization could work in a Civ4, specifically the notion of population points that are all equal.

I also think the civ combat system needs to make more use (as in AC) of combat modifiers, which make diverse units more usefull.

But before we see a Civ4, i want to see a Colonization 2.
        If you don't like reality, change it! me
        "Oh no! I am bested!" Drake
        "it is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong" Voltaire
        "Patriotism is a pernecious, psychopathic form of idiocy" George Bernard Shaw

Comment

Here here, i can't wait for Colonization 2 though so i'm trying write my own Colonization clone.

For everyone else waiting check out this Colonization clone called Freecol:

Comment

Jeez, that looks cool!
            When is it ready to be "disembarked into the new world"?

Keep up the good work!

Comment

It does look cool and i'd like to say it was my game but i've had nothing do it with it i'm afraid...

my game is pretty much a rewrite but ironing out a few annoyances like merchantmans (men?!?) sinking your privateers and the foreigners attacking your colonies and immediatly declaring peace with you so you end up breaking the treaty when you retaliate ....

After doing that i'm hoping to move onto grander things and creating a more open ended colonization away from colonizing the americas and focusing more on the exploration and technology advancement... If you can remember an old Amiga game called Genesia i'm trying to recreate the research part of the game.. but thats a long way off.

Comment

Civ3 SHOULDA been Civ2 + SMAC.

I would love to see a Col2.

Comment

Let's not even think about Civ 4 and big, radical changes. They've already screwed up enough with Civ3, and I hear MOO3 made some pretty big mistakes too. It'd be nice if they could just refine the existing systems, tweak, complexify, etc., as opposed to the gratuitous Revolutions In Gameplay(TM) they've been foisting on us. But I do agree that crossing it with Colonization would be a mistake in any case. Even the equal-population thing-when one unit of population in a city supposedly equals several thousand people, it just doesn't make sense to drain a unit of population just to make a few soldiers or a spy. The whole system doesn't fit with the grand scope of Civilization.
                  1011 1100
                  Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

Comment

The only thing that I'd relly like to see brought over from Col to Civ is the stockpiling, and modification (I.E turn oil into plastics and other sush things) or even creation of resources. (Even thou there wouldn't have to be a stockpile/city, but one for each unconnected tradenetwork)

With that I'd also like to have replaceable resources. (ethanol could replace fule at a certain rate, and wouldn't require oil to be produced)
                    Creator of the Civ3MultiTool

Comment

Elok, that's basically what GalCiv is all about. No really huge innovations, just a very well made game that avoids micromanagement in favor of a smooth playing game.

I feel like I just wrote a cheap ad, but it's all true.
                      John Brown did nothing wrong.

Comment

The unit art looks good. The artillery piece (none damaged) needs some help tho.
                        "Everything for the State, nothing against the State, nothing outside the State" - Benito Mussolini

Comment

I agree that Civ and Col don't really go together, but like some of the contibutors, I would love to see a Colonization 2. I wrote to Firaxis asking if they had any plans, but they don't. Perhaps we should get a gang together to push them. If there's enough interest, they'd have to at least think about it.
                          Tim Bromige

Comment

I always claimed that Civ focuses much too little on the trade, at list civ2. I think the thing is properly done in Col; the transportation by the ships, for example.
                            Caravan thing is pretty dumb. A caravan, when reaches destination, dosn't dissolve, but goes back again after all.
                            "I realise I hold the key to freedom,
                            I cannot let my life be ruled by threads" The Web Frogs
                            Middle East!

Comment

Life in old threads...
                              Caravans in Civ don't dissolve, they establish a trade route, which is, in fact, lots of smal camels going back and forth between the cities, trickling income each turn. It's handled transparently, of course.
                              Col's trade was way cooler, but so riddled with bugs and prone to death by micro-management, that it alone made the game extremely tedious in late game play.

C.

Comment

Working...
                              X