No announcement yet.

Re-engieering Civ

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The main change would be to add a powerful random element to the game. Not just natural disasters, but famines, stock market crashes, revolutions, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by jdd2007
      The main change would be to add a powerful random element to the game. Not just natural disasters, but famines, stock market crashes, revolutions, etc.
      always wondered why they removed all that from Civ I. used to be that several structures prevented some sort of natural disaster

from Civ I's King.txt
      Plague in $RPLC1!^
      Scores perish!^
      Citizens demand AQUEDUCT.^

Floods strike $RPLC1!^
      Houses washed away.^
      Citizens demand CITY WALLS.^

Volcano erupts near $RPLC1!^
      Citizens flee in terror.^
      Citizens demand TEMPLE.^

Fire sweeps through $RPLC1!^
      $US destroyed.^
      Citizens demand AQUEDUCT.^

Pirates plunder $RPLC1!^
      Production halted, Food Stolen.^
      Citizens demand BARRACKS.^
      Also, there was the chance of random revolutions. The one i remember most was one of my first games on Emperor, where on the opposite side of the world (wasn't even close to maping that area), China's most important city (Shanghai, size 12, 2 wonders, many military units) decided to defect to my side. Took a potential problem AI and completely decimated it
      Insert witty phrase here

Comment

Your city sure has a strange name. And man that is one unlucky city.

Comment

Hmmm... we should combine all of those.

Flaming volcano pirates spread plague and flood homes in $RPLC1!^
          Scores perish!^
          Citizens go CRAZY.^
          Lime roots and treachery!
          "Eventually you're left with a bunch of unmemorable posters like Cyclotron, pretending that they actually know anything about who they're debating pointless crap with." - Drake Tungsten

Comment

Originally posted by Straybow
            Odin: Russia is huge
            NO! DUH!!! I mean that Civ uses a Mercator Projection, and well, it hugely distorts the size of areas near the poles. (look at Greenland on a mercator map and look at Greenland on a globe.)

cyclotron7:

Comment

the golden age in civ3 was a great idea, i think. but i think it should be a little more abstract, last a little longer, and there also be dark ages or something. this would do a great deal to help with the problem of showing how empires rise and fall.

Originally posted by cyclotron7
              Hmmm... we should combine all of those.

Comment

civ2 with a huge variety of modding options
                Pool Manager - Lombardi Handicappers League - An NFL Pick 'Em Pool

https://youtu.be/HLNhPMQnWu4

Comment

Originally posted by jdd2007
                  the golden age in civ3 was a great idea, i think. but i think it should be a little more abstract, last a little longer, and there also be dark ages or something. this would do a great deal to help with the problem of showing how empires rise and fall.
                  I like the idea of dark ages as well as golden ages. However, implementating dark ages would be very tricky because you would not want them to unfairly punish the player. For example, if dark ages were caused by a certain number of famines then it could unfairly punish a player that was already in a dire situation. On the other hand, if dark ages were implemented against a civ that overexpanded, then it would unfairly punish the successful player. Why would a player who worked hard to be in a great winning situation want to sudenly be kicked down to size by a dark age?
                  'There is a greater darkness than the one we fight. It is the darkness of the soul that has lost its way. The war we fight is not against powers and principalities, it is against chaos and despair. Greater than the death of flesh is the death of hope, the death of dreams. Against this peril we can never surrender. The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.'"
                  G'Kar - from Babylon 5 episode "Z'ha'dum"

Comment

It is totally impossible to forget everything that has been done. And even if you say you do so it will still affect your mind in one way or another.
                    Creator of the Civ3MultiTool

Comment

Working...
                    X