Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A game with a preferrable military model. I think.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I took half an hour to read the manual. Here is what I understood: It is not very ordered, but well...

The patrol feature looks good, although it is probably more useful in wargames than civgames. Attacking from 2 sides causes bonuses: Right tactically, very hard to manage strategically before the advent of very modern and robust comm systems. So these parts of the model are good for tactical games, not for strategic ones IMO.
    Additionnally, units fight at some range, which is good for tactical combat, but may not be so good for strategic combat unless abstracted (make fights in same square take place at varous ranges).

Only defender's terrain taken into account. CtP2's model is better where attacker gets a bonus if they attack from a mountain for instance.

I don't know if units get killed all the time they fight or if they retreat/are wounded at end of fight. Seeing how RTS games handle it, I think wounded units should be a possibility.

Airplane model: Planes are given missions to attack some buddies. If opponent plane is nearby, opponent plane scrambles automatically. All this takes place real-time wise. I quote a bit:
    Air Missions With Enemy Air Units Adjacent the Target If your target is on top of or next to an enemy plane, a dogfight ensues. If the opposition's plane is unavailable, your chances are: 25% chance of completing the mission; 40% chance of mission failure; 10% chance of your plane being shot down; and 25% chance that your foes plane is shot down. If the Opposition's plane is available, your chances are: 50% chance of mission failure; 25% chance of your plane being shot down; and 25% your opponents plane is shot down. Air Missions with Enemy Units in the Vicinity If your target is between two and 10 spaces from an enemy plane, the probability of your air mission failing ranges anywhere from 10% to 50%; one third of those failures will end up resulting in a lost plane.
    Additionally there is an abstracted air to air combat mission (straight chances of destroying/being destroyed quite like that), kamikaze, paradrops and bombing raids.

Now my opinion on air combat: I don't like the real-time thing if it can cause conflicts with other opponents missions so planes which would miss one another in a simultaneous turn don't but one of them strikes first and the other defends based on the speed of the player. It'd be a good system if the air units had:
    1) various capacities (here there seems to be only one fighter with the same stats for all- I may be wrong). For instance paradropping planes are not fighters, etc.
    2) simultaneous turn, but before the ground units move. That is, you first plan all your plane moves and ground unit moves, then all plane moves are solved at the same time, and then all ground/sea units moves are solved.
    Clash of Civilization team member
    (a civ-like game whose goal is low micromanagement and good AI)
    web site http://clash.apolyton.net/frame/index.shtml and forum here on apolyton)

Comment

Edit: Crap, wrong thread: I leave my post for your general amusement.

I would presume CB was eschewed to get us to demo quicker and because the original plan was to sleaze, with maybe one city bigger with HG and another xinning.

Comment

Only defender's terrain taken into account. CtP2's model is better where attacker gets a bonus if they attack from a mountain for instance.
        Agreed.

I don't know if units get killed all the time they fight or if they retreat/are wounded at end of fight. Seeing how RTS games handle it, I think wounded units should be a possibility.
        They are a possibility, as health is measured in percentage.

[QUOTE]
        The patrol feature looks good, although it is probably more useful in wargames than civgames. Attacking from 2 sides causes bonuses: Right tactically, very hard to manage strategically before the advent of very modern and robust comm systems. So these parts of the model are good for tactical games, not for strategic ones IMO
        [QUOTE]
        It depends on the scale of things. This kinds of operations have been carried on. Besides, the exact timing is not important, the fact that the opponent is attacked from both sides is.

Now my opinion on air combat: I don't like the real-time thing if it can cause conflicts with other opponents missions so planes which would miss one another in a simultaneous turn don't but one of them strikes first and the other defends based on the speed of the player. It'd be a good system if the air units had:
        1) various capacities (here there seems to be only one fighter with the same stats for all- I may be wrong). For instance paradropping planes are not fighters, etc.
        2) simultaneous turn, but before the ground units move. That is, you first plan all your plane moves and ground unit moves, then all plane moves are solved at the same time, and then all ground/sea units moves are solved.
        I think that no.1 would be sufficient, but yes, this model is lacking. I like the prinicple, though.
        urgh.NSFW

Comment

Working...
        X