No announcement yet.

More emphasis on an age?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

In Civ 3, you can prolong the ancient and medieval ages by increasing the tech costs during these ages and decreasing the tech cost for later ages.

If you also increase the shield cost for settlers dramatically (like 100 shields) and the work needed for terrain improvements, you'll have a long, nice ancient era.

To increase the action in the ancient era you can add new units between the ones available. For instance you can have dead-end techs that give all players access to certain civ-specific units.
    Last edited by Optimizer; February 17, 2003, 15:34.
    The difference between industrial society and information society:
    In an industrial society you take a shower when you have come home from work.
    In an information society you take a shower before leaving for work.

Comment

I'd like to see a game with a late roman to pre-napoleonic time span. Always seemed like the most dynamic, interesting part of history to me
      ...Sounds like you want Europa Universalis!
      -->Visit CGN!
      -->"Production! More Production! Production creates Wealth! Production creates more Jobs!"-Wendell Willkie -1944

Comment

hi ,

, ......

, a regular game with any age , all of a sudden you are in the middle of a scenario because of the age or so , .......

have a nice day
        - RES NON VERBA - DE OPRESSO LIBER - VERITAS ET LIBERTAS - O TOLMON NIKA - SINE PARI - VIGLIA PRETIUM LIBERTAS - SI VIS PACEM , PARA BELLUM -
        - LEGIO PATRIA NOSTRA - one shot , one kill - freedom exists only in a book - everything you always wanted to know about special forces - everything you always wanted to know about Israel - what Dabur does in his free time , ... - in french - “Become an anti-Semitic teacher for 5 Euro only.”
        WHY DOES ISRAEL NEED A SECURITY FENCE --- join in an exceptional demo game > join here forum is now open ! - the new civ Conquest screenshots > go see them UPDATED 07.11.2003 ISRAEL > crisis or challenge ?

Comment

Originally posted by DarkCloud

...Sounds like you want Europa Universalis!
          No, I said I wanted a game.
          "The number of political murders was a little under one million (800,000 - 900,000)." - chegitz guevara on the history of the USSR.
          "I think the real figures probably are about a million or less." - David Irving on the number of Holocaust victims.

Comment

What's wrong with EU?

Comment

EU is a lot like civ (at least in style) I don't really see how you could like one and not the other.
              -->Visit CGN!
              -->"Production! More Production! Production creates Wealth! Production creates more Jobs!"-Wendell Willkie -1944

Comment

Oh it is certainly possible to like one and not the other, since although they deal with the same material they are slightly different genres.

I do think EU was ok though, and EU2 pretty good.

Comment

I don't like EU, because it just focusses on the era of civ i find least interesting. I like the ancient age, and modern/future era best.
                  Ancient age because you get to build everything up. And modern/future because you get acces to new nifty techs
                  <Kassiopeia> you don't keep the virgins in your lair at a sodomising distance from your beasts or male prisoners. If you devirginised them yourself, though, that's another story. If they devirginised each other, then, I hope you had that webcam running.
                  Play Bumps! No, wait, play Slings!

Comment

Maybe you could have the choice to get different levels of detail in different eras, but I don't know how that would be made.

Comment

I would like a revised modern age. If you've ever played Liftoff!, you'll know what I'm talking about. Let's get things right--satellites come BEFORE space flight, mmmkay? And there's a lot more to building a starship than what's in the game. Where are cybernetics? Cryogenics? Genetic engineering should lead to many paths, not a dead end.

Comment

Originally posted by DarkCloud
                        EU is a lot like civ (at least in style) I don't really see how you could like one and not the other.

hi ,

, .... well you cant compare C&C tibsun - firestorm with civ neither , ....

eu and civ are maybe in the same family but there are many people who like only one of the two , .....

have a nice day
                        - RES NON VERBA - DE OPRESSO LIBER - VERITAS ET LIBERTAS - O TOLMON NIKA - SINE PARI - VIGLIA PRETIUM LIBERTAS - SI VIS PACEM , PARA BELLUM -
                        - LEGIO PATRIA NOSTRA - one shot , one kill - freedom exists only in a book - everything you always wanted to know about special forces - everything you always wanted to know about Israel - what Dabur does in his free time , ... - in french - “Become an anti-Semitic teacher for 5 Euro only.”
                        WHY DOES ISRAEL NEED A SECURITY FENCE --- join in an exceptional demo game > join here forum is now open ! - the new civ Conquest screenshots > go see them UPDATED 07.11.2003 ISRAEL > crisis or challenge ?

Comment

Civ 4 should also have the option to start out in another era. Civ 2 alloed you to start 50 or 100 urns later, but that could be prolonged even more.

Comment

I think its misleading to put get rid of ages in the same poll that asks which age you want more flushed out. It would be a simple matter to get rid of civ "ages", go back to fluid tech development, AND at the same time flush out an age more. And I imagine that a few of the people who voted "No Ages" do have a preference as to which time period needs more techs, more units, needs more game time devoted to it...

Comment

The ages thing was too rigid in civ 3. Get rid of them. At most, they should affect graphical interface. Forcing you to research all the ancient texhs before hitting the medieval era was a bad move. It resulted in every game having the same research path.

I say, bring more techs (many more, a few hundred maybe), and have a boolean tech tree designed such that it is not possible to research them all. This should force choices on you that can emulate historical civs. Do I research longbows or crossbows, knowing I can only ever have one of them? Do I research blood cult, knowing that will forever prevent me from gaining democracy? This will help ensure every game is different and make the game feel bigger.
                              The sons of the prophet were valiant and bold,
                              And quite unaccustomed to fear,
                              But the bravest of all is the one that I'm told,
                              Is named Abdul Abulbul Amir

Comment

I really don't mind the ages, though a bit more overlapping would be nice. What I would really like to see though is a bit of what SMAC had: unknown research. Now don't get me wrong, I still want to be able to pick research. But I should only be able to research things that I actually would be researching, like Cure for Cancer or Spaceflight. Things like the wheel, gunpowder, etc, should be random, as they were discovered more by mistake then by focused research. Same with nuclear fission and some basic laws of nature.
                                I AM.CHRISTIAN

Comment

Working...
                                X