Colonization: Is it worth it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Colonization: Is it worth it?

I just got a copy of Colonization from my cousin with no rule book. I've played Civs and Smax for years, but just cannot seem to get into this game. People seem to enjoy it, and I think I might, but even trying to figure it out bores me. I find the interface confusing as hell. Should I invest more time in this game? Is there something I'm missing?
    "We are living in the future, I'll tell you how I know, I read it in the paper, Fifteen years ago" - John Prine

Colonization worth it? Hell yes!

I bought it when it came out--on floppy drives. It is STILL on my computer (works fine with Win98). I think Col is WAY better than Civ3 out of the box, and would love to see an updated version. Don't play the Windows 3.1 version of Col, it's buggier than an ant farm.

Tips--the founding fathers are just like the wonders, liberty bells are like light bulbs. Do NOT try to spread like the Borg the way you do with Civ. Concentrate on a few STRONG, POWERFUL, WELL DEFENDED cities to win the War of Independence. IMO, the War of Independence elevates Col above Civ--it keeps you interested to the very end.

Comment

Re: Colonization worth it? Hell yes!

Originally posted by HolyWarrior

Tips--the founding fathers are just like the wonders, liberty bells are like light bulbs. Do NOT try to spread like the Borg the way you do with Civ. Concentrate on a few STRONG, POWERFUL, WELL DEFENDED cities to win the War of Independence. IMO, the War of Independence elevates Col above Civ--it keeps you interested to the very end.
      Thanks, I'll give it another go.
      "We are living in the future, I'll tell you how I know, I read it in the paper, Fifteen years ago" - John Prine

Comment

It requires quite a lot of planning in selecting the city locations. Generally I try to locate my colonies so that there are conifer trees and mountains/hills nearby (thus sufficient wood & ore->tools production)

About the founding fathers:
        It's interesting that you have the access to all founding fathers in the beginning. With luck you can have all those cool fathers right away (like hernan cortez).
        I'm not a complete idiot: some parts are still missing.

Comment

Perhaps you can find a copy of the rules online. Try Underdogs. It's a fun game.
          He's got the Midas touch.
          But he touched it too much!
          Hey Goldmember, Hey Goldmember!

Comment

You should definately give it a try. It's one of the better games I know of. And I still play the old DOS version sometimes.
            Creator of the Civ3MultiTool

Comment

I think it's one of the best games. I used to play it a lot. And actually I installed it about a month ago on my new laptop, and gave it a go. Definitely worth a try.

I think there is the manual available for download in pdf format somewhere. It might help. Let me see if I can find a link.
              XBox Live: VovanSim
              xbox.com (login required)
              Halo 3 Service Record (I fail at FPS...)
              Spore page

Comment

Got the link to the manual

I remember it was really helpful to read it back in the days.
                Spore page

Comment

Thanks everybody. I've put a little more tought into the game and and definitely starting to get into it. Usually I try to figure out a game without the manual, but this time I was really confused. I think I've got the hang of it now.

Comment

Glad you are getting in to the game. And I must say that Col is one of the very few games that actually read the manual for. So you are not the only one.
                    Spore page

Comment

Go for it, I like Col as much as I liked Civ and unlike most Civ games it keeps you interested until the end. I wish they would make a new version .

So long...
                      Excellence can be attained if you Care more than other think is wise, Risk more than others think is safe, Dream more than others think is practical and Expect more than others think is possible.
                      Ask a Question and you're a fool for 3 minutes; don't ask a question and you're a fool for the rest of your life! Chinese Proverb
                      Someone is sitting in the shade today because someone planted a tree a long time ago. Warren Buffet

Comment

I wish I still had my copy of this game. It was fun but the AI is very primative and the game is fairly simple to beat. Still I more then got my money's worth when this game came out.
                        Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Unfortunately, the game wont work on NT. Booo, hooo hooo!
                          Is there any way around it?

Comment

Daz - yes there is. Change your OS
                            I'm not a complete idiot: some parts are still missing.

Comment

Daz, if you have a FAT partition on your hard disk you can put the game there and then boot DOS from a diskette and still play the game. If you dont have a FAT partition you will need special drivers like ntfsdos ....
                              Against stupidity the very gods themselves contend in vain.

Comment

Working...
                              X