No announcement yet.

What is this MoM

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

when you read the descriptions, you might get a bit intimidated, but this is a LOT like Civ.

No tech, just spell research
    instead of choosing between shields, coins and beakers, it's mana, research and skill (how much you can cast per turn).
    to get the higher level units, you need certain buildings instead of tech.

now you can go and play. and get your butt handed to you because you don't get the magic. don't worry, nobody knows everything you can do with magic. I've been playing for years and tried any number of things, and my jaw fell when I read about an undead archangel like frogman said. Man, I gotta try that....

Fantastic game, and if you can't download it, I'll send you a copy.
    Any man can be a Father, but it takes someone special to be a BEAST

I was just about to point out that Horsie is simply making excuses in advance for why he will suck at Civ III...
    ...but Father Beast beat me to it! - Randomturn

Comment

Frogman
      Well, its not a bad game, but its not as good as Age of Wonders.
      Even on impossible, all you needed was one killer stack and the ai just couldn't deal with you. There should have been a limit as to how many heroes you could group together.

AoW is easier than MoM. Try hero w/vampiric, 2x move, all enchants... But most important, Aow simply not fun. Well, it's like Warlords, but more unbalanced IMHO. And really you don't have choices in in AoW.

In MoM you can win using high-level magic spells (Dragons, Armageddon etc.), win with heroes (i like Torin, Warrax and Allora), play rushes (Wraiths, Chaos Spawn, Torin), highly-enchanted common units (Halfling Slingers, Paladins, Warships), builder-style (Stream of Life), gain advantage in start of the game (Low-lvl efficient spells, node rushing, Artificer etc.). Well, it's one of the several games i like to play, not to win. Gameplay is one of the best.

FuN OwnZ
      Knowledge is Power

Comment

Originally posted by Heresson
        It must be if it is "a classic"...
        Ah MoM is a real classic and a jewel. It may be a little bit outdated compared to games today but when you get the opportunity to buy it at a low price you should act. It's kinda like Civ in a fantasy universe. With orc, elves, trolls and the good old humans. Thousands of spells to be researched and a world of it's own.

Comment

Even if you get a copy, I understand its tough to get it to work in anything newer than windows 95 which still had a dos base. If I ever wanted to bring it out again, I'd probably dust off my old laptop that ran windows 3.1.

Comment

I have three Win 98 machines that run MOM just fine. One of them needs the sound configured off, but I think if I took the trouble to try all possible combinations of device number and IRQ, I'd find one that worked.
            "THE" plus "IRS" makes "THEIRS". Coincidence? I think not.

Comment

Sound configured off will allow it to be played on Win98, which I have. Getting the sound to work may be an issue if you have a newer sound card.

if you have sound in dos games now, you can probably get sound in MOM.

I got rid of my newer sound card and reinstalled the old one so I could have sound in DOS games.
              Any man can be a Father, but it takes someone special to be a BEAST

I was just about to point out that Horsie is simply making excuses in advance for why he will suck at Civ III...
              ...but Father Beast beat me to it! - Randomturn

Comment

Programmers unite and make us a FreeMoM!

This game and MoO are two of the classics I still play from time to time, when I'm in a nostalgic mood.
                Beep...beep...beep.

Comment

Working...
                X