This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Welcome!

Due to popular demand, a forum entirely devoted to Civilization: The Boardgame is here!

For more information on the game, see the Miscellaneous news centre and the the Eagle Games website. The latter is the company that has produced the title.

Finally, if you notice any threads within other forums that are concentrated on the said title and you believe that they rightfully belong here, email me.

-------------
    Dan; Apolyton CS
    Last edited by DanQ; December 29, 2002, 01:29.
    PolyCast Co-Host, Owner and Producer: entertaining | informing civ
    >> PolyCast (Civ strategy), ModCast (Civ modding), TurnCast (Civ multiplay); One More Turn Dramedy

Nice to have a new fora for this game. Now I just need to find the game somewhere for a reasonable price.
    "Kids, don't listen to uncle Solver unless you want your parents to spank you." - Solver

Comment

Don't worry, Ras - I'll tell you all you need to know. I've played 4 games so far and witnessed another two. The smallest had 3 players, but all the others had 6.
      Consul.

Back to the ROOTS of addiction. My first missed poll!

Comment

Thanks for creating this forum!
        Formerly known as "CyberShy"
        Carpe Diem tamen Memento Mori

Comment

Great to have the forum but like Rasbelin, all I need now is the game. At this very moment, the game may be winging its way across the Atlantic! Hope it doesn't fall in!!

Question for those who have it (couldn't find a green jealousy face to use ). What colours do the figurines come in? I have only seen cream in the pictures.
          We shall show mercy but we shall not ask for it

Comment

Question for those who have it:

Is it any good?

Comment

Colours: It can get a bit confusing, especially as you're all building uop armies, as they use cream for ALL the soldiers, cavalry, navy and aircraft (through all Ages). You just have to place one of your coloured "leader" markers next to your troops. However settlers and cities need to be your own colour, and these colours are green, red, light brown, yellow, blue and purple.

Is it any good? It certainly depends a lot on who you play with. You can get absolute bastards who dominate early and monopolise the trading from then on, making the game much like International test cricket - one side above all by a long shot, and the rest just fighting amongst each other. However, if you have cooperative friends, you can establish all sorts of rules/pacts at the start of the game to try peace until a certain age, constant war, no trading etc etc. One thing is for sure however - be prepared to set aside close to ten hours for a game involving more than 4 people.
              Consul.

Comment

Well, I played my first game of it today, and it was a might bit confusing at first. A lot of rule book page turning, and plastic pieces everywhere...

Started with the standard rules just to make sure we had a basic grasp of things to begin with. Only 3 players, so nothing huge, but we got into the groove of things soon enough. I found the rule book to be pretty obtuse in some areas, with a lot of questions unanswered. I'll have to check out the website to see if they have any clarifications.

But, try again with more people tomorrow, so we'll see how it goes!
                I make movies. Come check 'em out.

Comment

Originally posted by ZargonX
                  Well, I played my first game of it today, and it was a might bit confusing at first. A lot of rule book page turning, and plastic pieces everywhere...
                  You get that, Zargon. Soon enough you will have everyone correcting any mistakes made - like living manuals! The horror!
                  Started with the standard rules just to make sure we had a basic grasp of things to begin with. Only 3 players, so nothing huge, but we got into the groove of things soon enough. I found the rule book to be pretty obtuse in some areas, with a lot of questions unanswered. I'll have to check out the website to see if they have any clarifications.

But, try again with more people tomorrow, so we'll see how it goes!
                  Good luck! Any questions, post them here. Most me and my friends managed to sort out. We haven;t tried the standard rules yet, but a lot of them are similar.
                  Consul.

Comment

Originally posted by MrWhereItsAt
                    Colours: It can get a bit confusing, especially as you're all building uop armies, as they use cream for ALL the soldiers, cavalry, navy and aircraft (through all Ages). You just have to place one of your coloured "leader" markers next to your troops. However settlers and cities need to be your own colour, and these colours are green, red, light brown, yellow, blue and purple.

Is it any good? It certainly depends a lot on who you play with. You can get absolute bastards who dominate early and monopolise the trading from then on, making the game much like International test cricket - one side above all by a long shot, and the rest just fighting amongst each other. However, if you have cooperative friends, you can establish all sorts of rules/pacts at the start of the game to try peace until a certain age, constant war, no trading etc etc. One thing is for sure however - be prepared to set aside close to ten hours for a game involving more than 4 people.
                    I carried the game over the Atlantic for a couple of connecting flights, it is darn heavy and bulky, but certainly worth it. All of my friends in Belgrade are very happy with it.
                    Well, I am surprised to hear that a single game lasts for 10 +hours. We had a quick playtesting one and got throught the Ancient age in about 4 hrs, but we literally checked every single rule along that road and took tremendous time ogling new shiny tech cards and figuring out what purpose they serve at all (not to mention world wonders). Our second game we decided to play for no more than 4 hrs, again we were looking at rules and had occassional breaks, but this time the pace quickened significantly. It took us 2,5 hrs to get out of ancient and 1,5 more to finish medieval age, and just like in CivIII, the game picked up speed as we progressed. I am getting a feel that the next time we sit around we'll finish it in about 6 hrs. This is a great improvement over our Advanced Civ (Avalon Hill) games that literally took a day to finish (or finished us off).
                    The game plays really well, we adopted some minor changes as suggested by errata and some wise fellas at Eaglegames forums (but really only minor changes, not really getting into cumbersome details some people thought of to reshape the game altogether). Is it worth 44 USD (CompUsa)? So far, definitely.

Comment

My game arrived in England a couple of weeks ago. Very impressed with the figurines but you're right it does weigh a lot! Also, need a big table to play on or be prepared to crawl around the floor for hours on end.
                      We shall show mercy but we shall not ask for it

Comment

Yes the size is tricky. A little too small for the separation between crowded provinces being easy to see ata glance but too big to fit on a normal size table. Looking forward to my next opportunity to play.
                        To doubt everything or to believe everything are two equally convenient solutions; both dispense with the necessity of reflection.
                        H.Poincaré

Comment

Haven't seen the Boardgame... As well I don't see any reason for having this forum... On the other hand, I get used to all strange things after a while...
                          "I realise I hold the key to freedom,
                          I cannot let my life be ruled by threads" The Web Frogs
                          Middle East!

Comment

Thread bumper.
                            "Kids, don't listen to uncle Solver unless you want your parents to spank you." - Solver

Comment

Oh man, I thought this is a forum for Civilization, the boardgame published by Avalon Hill.
                              (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
                              (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
                              (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

Working...
                              X