Colonization Crash

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Colonization Crash

It took me a while to find a forum dealing with Colonization, even shared with other games. My question is, how do you play a whole game of it on Windows 98 without it constantly crashing at key moments, including (often) startup.

what version are you using ? i never crash, and its easy to beat
    Boston Red Sox are 2004 World Series Champions!

Comment

I've never had it crash either.
      One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

Comment

IIRC Colonization never crashed on me either. Could it be that you are running something in the backround?

So long...
        Excellence can be attained if you Care more than other think is wise, Risk more than others think is safe, Dream more than others think is practical and Expect more than others think is possible.
        Ask a Question and you're a fool for 3 minutes; don't ask a question and you're a fool for the rest of your life! Chinese Proverb
        Someone is sitting in the shade today because someone planted a tree a long time ago. Warren Buffet

Comment

My 'lockups' are the Close - Ignore type.

I've found that I can just click Ignore about 3 times and it will go away, and I can keep on playing.

Comment

close as in close the town screen? or close as in close the european markets/docks????

not sure what close your talking about

or it could be your settings, try adjusting the game settings?

Comment

Response to Replies

Sorry in taking so long to get back to you all. My error, for those who've asked, usually happens at startup, right after the king proclaims you viceroy. If by a miracle I get past that, it usually also happens when a random building is built, a founding father joins congress or during an Indian attack. It seems to be a dos error that just shuts the game down with a message I can't fathom and returns me to Windows. Can anyone help me with that.

Comment

I have never been able to get the DOS version to work in Win9x, but there was a Win3.1 version made which I can get working. A patch is needed, last I checked it was still on the Hasbro website. The final victory screen crashes the game, but at least I've gotten in an entire game at that point.

Problem is that only the DOS version had the map editor, and only the DOS version had editable text files (sigh).
                "Is it sport? I think it is. And does affection breed it? I think it does. Is it frailty that so errs? It is so too." - Shakespeare, Othello IV,iii

Comment

Hmm, I know that the windows version of Colonization was fairly unstable (on Windows 98, at least), and that a patch resolved a few (but not all ) of those serious problems. I haven't had any problems with the Dos version, other than that it can be (very) slow starting up.
                  "I read a book twice as fast as anybody else. First, I read the beginning, and then I read the ending, and then I start in the middle and read toward whatever end I like best." - Gracie Allen

Comment

i can't get the dos verson to work, but on my win 98 it works fine, windows version, i have had odd crashes.....but like 5% of the time, which is acceptable to me

Comment

I'm having problems!

Ok I've got a windows version of Colinization...but when i try to play it, it says I'm missing a "wing.dll" ?? What am I missing....and yes....I got it from Kazaa...

Hey, what did you expect.....I couldn't find it for sale around my area...

Thanks

Comment

WinG is the predecessor of DirectX.

Here's one download link. You need to place it in your System directory. If you don't have one, place it in your System32 directory.
                        Blog | Civ2 Scenario League | leo.petr at gmail.com

Comment

it seems that you can either play the dos version or the windows version, a lot of people seem to have trouble running one or the other.

Patine, I had all those same crashes trying to run Colwin, and additionally could make it crash anytime by trying to access the colonizopedia. my only solution was to get colonization for dos reinstalled (I have the CD). It works, but if you have a newer sound card, it won't play sound

I put an old sound card back into my system so I could get sound in dos games.
                          Any man can be a Father, but it takes someone special to be a BEAST

I was just about to point out that Horsie is simply making excuses in advance for why he will suck at Civ III...
                          ...but Father Beast beat me to it! - Randomturn

Comment

I'm running Windows ME and the game crashes quite frequently, but I save quite frequently so I don't get too upset when it freezes up on me.

Comment

Thanks a lot, guys. I got the patch and the WinG and at least it's playable now, though it still occassionally crashes. I may just have a flawed copy. Oh, well. I can play it now without nearly as much stress. If anyone has any more advice, I will be checking the forum every now and then.

Comment

Working...
                              X