civilization board game

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How about Play BY EMail?

Anyone played Brittanica? Or Railroad (Tycoon?) as a board game. I have.

Comment

The odds for using dice seem a lot more realistic than some of the outcomes I've seen on the computer game .

I'm a big fan of A and A. I'll have to scrape together the money and give this a try.
      "Perhaps a new spirit is rising among us. If it is, let us trace its movements and pray that our own inner being may be sensitive to its guidance, for we are deeply in need of a new way beyond the darkness that seems so close around us." --MLK Jr.

Comment

so this is the new civ board game, did they call it civ2?

whats different between the two games, does anyone know
        Boston Red Sox are 2004 World Series Champions!

Comment

I would get it. But it's too hard to find players. My brother got Risk 2650 (or something like that - I can't remember the year). We played on christmas eve during the party. But that was the last time we played .

when everyone works different hours it's difficult to get together for games.

Comment

The two boardgames are very different. Think of the new game as an approximation of Civ 1 the computer game. You each start with two villages, two settlers and two troops. You basically try and settle nice terrain (the map is preset but counters showing any special features are hidden) earn income and use that income to buy tech, troops and more settlers. When you get into a fight, you reveal one piece at a time and dice off until one side is completely dead. Passing certain milestones entitles you to a wonder of the world. In the advanced rules you need to spend money on city improvements to keep them happy and the techs you buy and the Wonders you obtain bring special advantages.

I'm looking forward to having a 5 player game on the 7th Dec.
            To doubt everything or to believe everything are two equally convenient solutions; both dispense with the necessity of reflection.
            H.Poincaré

Comment

OK THATS A GOOD DESCRITION OF THE SECOND GAME, WHATS THE FIRST ONE ALL ABOUT THEN?????

Comment

The first one is a diceless game focussing on the rise and fall of ancient empires. You have to use the same counters for money, troops and to build cities. Cities give you trade cards, the more cities you have the more valuable the items you obtain. You try and trade cards with the other players to get sets with which to buy technologies. If you meet the criteria you advance one space up the victory track each turn, with the final space requiring you to have the majority of techs plus a good set of trade cards. The first one to the top (basically represents the high middle ages) wins. A very clever game but not for people who want combat.
                To doubt everything or to believe everything are two equally convenient solutions; both dispense with the necessity of reflection.
                H.Poincaré

Comment

AH IC.........I HAVE THE ADVERTISEMENT FOR THE LATEST GAME...IT LOOKS NEAT, MY GIRLFRIEND LOVES CIV NOW, SO WE BATTLE FOR THE COMPUTER....

BE NICE TO KICK HER @SS ON THE BOARD TOOO...

seriously though, can one still buy the old game...sounds a little weak, but then again, maybe i dont' fully understand.

the second one sounds like it might be alot more fun

Comment

Originally posted by Dissident
                    I would get it. But it's too hard to find players. My brother got Risk 2650 (or something like that - I can't remember the year). We played on christmas eve during the party. But that was the last time we played .

when everyone works different hours it's difficult to get together for games.
                    The game is called Risk 2210 A.D..

I wanted to ask about that actually as I was thinking of getting it. How does it compare to the original Risk game? Is it alot of fun? Can you still play it with the original Risk rules if you want?
                    Avoid COLONY RUSH on Galactic Civlizations II (both DL & DA) with my Slow Start Mod.
                    Finding Civ 4: Colonization too easy? Try my Ten Colonies challenge.

Comment

I can't say playing it with the orginal risk rules.

There are some good things. First of all the game just doesn't keep going and going. There are a certain number of turns. Second you don't have increasing numbers of units for making sets. There is more strategy in this game. But luck can play a role esp. with the diplomacy cards. My brother won the game because he kept a 2 cards for the last turn that when played prevent another player from attacking you.

but despite this the diplomacy cards do spice up the game.

I really do need more than 1 game to judge completly though. Maybe someone else can offer insight on Risk 2210.

It is more interesting than the old risk. But that is because I've played many games of risk. There is a lot more complexity. This adds to the strategy quite a bit- assuming you understand the rules/cards and how to use them to win . I'd say it might be more complex than Axis and Allies, but no where near as complex as Civ2 (computer game)- I haven't played the board game.

the only problem may lie if you play with people that like the game to be simple. And many people don't find the additional complexity that fun. They just want to move around troops and take over the world and roll dice.

Comment

Just got it for Hanukkah...haven't played it but it looks great. My one complaint is that some of teh pieces (especially pikemen, battleships, howitzers, and caravels) are very difficult to get out. There are recognizable components of civ3, civ2, and ctp, as well as some standard war boardgame features.

FlameFlash
                        If it wasn't for the cost... and the fact I can't find people to play Axis & Allies so I know I couldn't find anybody to play this... I'd get it.
                        Me too...where do you live in Missouri? I live in St Louis, maybe sometime we could play together (A&A (i also have A&A Pacific) or Civ) !

Comment

I have it and I can surely recommend everyone not to buy it.

It's fairly ok but not comparable with the PC-game.
                          You can do so many things with the PC-game that's not possible with the board-one. At first the PC version is cooler (graphic of course) and most important there are sooo many scenarios out there with which you can recreate any area in history with beautiful modelled units and cities. The options at the board game are very limited.

But I don't hate it

Comment

Working...
                          X