I have it, I hate it
    4.35%
    I don't have it, but want it
    28.26%
    I don't have it, and don't want it
    21.74%
    I want someone to make a banana board game
    28.26%

I don't have it, but want it. It looks really cool. I dunno how well Civ will transport to a board game, but there's nothing like a good game with some friends. If I ever see it on sale her I will probably buy it.
    If I'm posting here then Counterglow must be down.

Comment

I don't have it yet, but next time when I order something from i.e. Amazon.com, I'm sure I'll order it if they have it. At least the preview seemed to be promising.
      "Kids, don't listen to uncle Solver unless you want your parents to spank you." - Solver

Comment

I don't have the new one yet, but I plan to as soon as I discover it has appeared in the UK.
        To doubt everything or to believe everything are two equally convenient solutions; both dispense with the necessity of reflection.
        H.Poincaré

Comment

You can buy it online at www.eaglegames.net It costs $59.99 but you'll probably have to pay about another £10 in tax and handling if you live in the UK.

Comment

$60!

/me shrugs.

oh well ... nevermind then.
            If I'm posting here then Counterglow must be down.

Comment

Gotta admit, they are being true to the computer game.

One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

Comment

why wasnt I informed of this!
                going to go look it up now...

Comment

I thought this is a thread about Avalon Hill's excellent Civilization boardgame.

Bah.
                  (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
                  (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
                  (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

Originally posted by Urban Ranger
                    I thought this is a thread about Avalon Hill's excellent Civilization boardgame.

Bah.
                    As did I - SG[1]

anyone played "Fall of the Roman Empire" (board game)??
                    "Our words are backed by empty wine bottles! - SG(2)
                    "One of our Scouse Gits is missing." - -Jrabbit

Comment

I've played "History of the World" once.

Comment

Originally posted by Sagacious Dolphin

I've played "History of the World" once.
                        We have a resident expert!
                        To doubt everything or to believe everything are two equally convenient solutions; both dispense with the necessity of reflection.
                        H.Poincaré

Comment

?

Comment

Just got the game from a UK supplier (the charges from the US were astronomical.) Its going to be at least a week before I get to play it for real unfortunately. I do have some initial observations...

The quality of the components appears high. The map board is fixed as you have seen, but each land tile is given a random discovery marker so games should play differently depending on where they appear. These can be a resource (Wine, Horses, Iron, Gems, Spices, Oil, Coal, Rare Metals) an event (Free Tech, 10 Gold, Minor Civ, Plague) a terrain (Desert, Mountains, Jungle, Fertile) or no encounter. The terrains limit the maximum size of city that can be built but have no effect on combat.

In the basic game you expand and grow rapidly, with each age concluding the turn that someone buys their third tech (it doesnt matter what they are.)

Every turn you get gold equal to:
                            1. the size of your cities (doubled if you have the resource rolled on the chart)
                            +
                            2. The number of different resources you have times the number of techs you own
                            +
                            3. a fixed bonus for owning 3,4 or 5 of the same resource.

So it looks like there should be plenty of fights over the resource squares.

Combat is done by chosing a piece to fight with, revealing it to your opponent, then rolling dice. You get one dice for an ancient era piece up to 4 dice for modern. You get +4 to the roll if you picked Cav(+tank) vs inf, inf vs arty or arty vs cav. Planes just stack and add +1 dice. You get +1 for every 2 techs you own. Whoever loses the die roll loses their combatants. Ties everyone loses. Keep going until one side is destroyed. No truces or retreats.

If you reach a milestone you can build a wonder. These do nothing except score victory points and cannot be captured.

The advanced game expects you to manage happiness and productiveness in your cities (four levels each) and gives you specific benefits depending on which techs and wonders you own. Combat units can be improved a little (most notably planes, which get very strong) during an era.
                            H.Poincaré

Comment

If it wasn't for the cost... and the fact I can't find people to play Axis & Allies so I know I couldn't find anybody to play this... I'd get it.
                              I'm not conceited, conceit is a fault and I have no faults...

Civ and WoW are my crack... just one... more... turn...

Comment

Working...
                              X