Civilization - the pet peev's.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Civilization - the pet peev's.

A few days ago I responded to a thread about our fondest memories of the original CIVILIZATION. Not being one to leave an issue alone I started thinking about all the little things I did not enjoy about the original. The things that would ruin what had been an enjoyable little world.

So, here are my top 10 peevs:

(10) Trade Cheats.
    While I realise it may not have been possible to programme an AI able to create caravans and decide which cities to enter, it was SO unfair that computer controlled cities could be trading with cities of other civilizations that they had never met. And they would never trade with my cities.

(9) Where have all my improvements gone?
    If I wanted to commit genocide it took one turn per sell-off of a captured cities improvements (while starving the population to destroy the city), the computer was able to clear all my improvements in one turn.

(8) Foreign Civ's Diplomats.
    You just know that Egyptian diplomat that has just landed on your eastern coast isn't there to open an embassy. Expect your technology stolen, even from friends.

(7) Unfair Diplomatic exchanges.
    Why could the human player only make demands at the end?

(6) Population to Unit ratio.
    I realise one of the decision making processes the computer would make whether it would attack my civ or not was the ratio of population to units, but you'd have to ask how silly it is to attack a so much more technologically advance civ than to play nice and perhaps get the occassional reward.

(5) One for all, all against you.
    The amount of time spent trying to defeat all the other civs once they gang up on you.

(4) Random maps.
    The amount of other non earth worlds that would be made as scrally long isles, instead of a couple of nice big land masses with huge open seas.

(3) No ship to ship, ship to shore diplomacy.

(2) Other civs use of nukes.
    I nearly always like to load my nukes into a couple of carriers, the absolute strength-very mobile strategy. However computer controlled civs would store their's in one particular city, and would only sometimes engage in an exchange if attacked first. They could have been so much more intimadating with them, instead of the hollow words of "are backed by nuclear weapons".

(1) Having the Germans and the French the same colour. They have so much in common in seems unfair they never get to duke it out. Also the Americans and Chinese the same colour.
    Diplomacy is the art of saying "Good Doggie" while reaching for a rock.

You missed my top two:

1) Free AI wonders - it used to annoy me to no end when I would work to build a wonder the hard way, and some AI would just build it by pure magic.

2) Random combat - the whole "phalanx sinks battleship" thing. One of the best things about Civ II was the addition of hitpoints/firepower.

Comment

I find it wierd that people care about the opposition cheating. I figure that if you expect the AI to beat you without cheating it can't be an interesting game.

For me it was:
      1) micromanagement in late game
      2) Goto via rail takes 1/3 movement per square.
      "I'm so happy I could go and drive a car crash!"
      "What do you mean do I rape strippers too? Is that an insult?"
      - Pekka

Comment

...oh!
        and lack of time available for me to play.
        "I'm so happy I could go and drive a car crash!"
        "What do you mean do I rape strippers too? Is that an insult?"
        - Pekka

Comment

You missed my top#1

1) The AI civs build SS parts despite lacking the necessary tech.

Comment

Originally posted by Jay Bee
            You missed my top#1

1) The AI civs build SS parts despite lacking the necessary tech.

Comment

Both Civ 1 & 2 annoyed me with certain gameplay elements:

Unhappiness under certain governments the moment a soldier leaves a city. As I recall, even fortified soldiers outside a city simply defending the surrounding land or leaving the city to stave off an attack caused unhappiness.

Unhappiness caused by explorers and transport boats since they were treated like military even though they had absolutely no attack value. Even trying to transport a settler overseas would cause unhappiness because of the transport boat - this was so annoying I can't believe it made the final cut!
              Avoid COLONY RUSH on Galactic Civlizations II (both DL & DA) with my Slow Start Mod.
              Finding Civ 4: Colonization too easy? Try my Ten Colonies challenge.

Comment

Working...
              X